Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687247 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2190 on: May 15, 2016, 08:58:26 pm »

So am I alone in feeling that Society Research is just straight up better then the other two? At least for early game. I mean fuck, it has all the expansion techs, all the influence-y stuff you need to KEEP expanding as well as genemodding stuff, army stuff AND FUCKING PSIONICS.
The only thing its bad at is making your ships stronger, but it also has stuff to let you spam your crap ass ships as a balance, and its not like you can't just put the other two tech types to prioritize better ships while you do everything else...

Kinda thinking of a build that focuses on it to expand and use super armies to hold everything even if its navy is shit.
Fanatic Militarist/Individualist for army strength and energy credits, Very Strong for epic mega armies and better minerals, probably Sedentary and either Repugnant or Slow Breeders to free up slots, then when gene modding gets researched throw in Resilient to make any planet with armies nigh impossible to take. And once you get the second extra trait slot for it throw in industrious for EVEN MOAR MINERALS.
Focus efforts on taking as many worlds as you can as early as you can, then beefing armies into nigh invulnerable death machines to defend everything once somebody tries to take shit from you.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: May 15, 2016, 09:05:48 pm »

Society is the best, followed by physics then engineering is dead last. Engineering is so useless, especially in the later game.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: May 15, 2016, 09:26:41 pm »

I'm still not quite sure about what the difference between engineering and physics is. They both just seem to be "more things for ships" and the like while society is really just unlocking new features/cool things/empire-wide-upgrades. Though coincidentally I've always had the most society research without trying in all my games.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2193 on: May 15, 2016, 09:28:36 pm »

Engineering is engines, armour, missiles, etc., while physics is lasers and other sci-fi stuff.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: May 15, 2016, 09:43:47 pm »

TBH I think engineering is better then physics...or it WOULD be if the rock paper scissors was more balanced. Engineering governs two of the three weapon types, engines which let you dodge, gives you bigger ships, and has armor in there to boot. Meanwhile Physics just has one weapon type and one defense type...except Lasers are pretty much just BETTER then anything else and same with shields. Oh, and physics has the all important upgraded generators that let you devote less of your ships to power generation and more to actually better stuff.

Though I SUPPOSE something of a balancing factor in the laser/gun/missile battle is that lasers seem to use the most power of the three. Though that doesn't really count for much atm. Same with defense types really. Shields are power hogs while PD uses a bit and a weapon slot while armor uses absolutely no power whatsoever. I've heard it also doesn't protect from much either though :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: May 15, 2016, 10:01:36 pm »

Armor's a percent damage reduction. It takes a lot of tech to get it up to a good level, but a ship with a good set of top-tier armor can literally cut incoming damage in half... against almost everything but lasers, at least. This can mean a lot, especially against torpedo boats which can comfortably ignore shields (and, en-masse, sometimes even PD).
Nothing important here, move along.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: May 16, 2016, 12:35:03 am »

This is the top post on the Stellaris and Paradox subreddits right now: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/4jgwf4/just_what_is_stellaris_missing_exactly_a_full/

--------

I got bored of my huge galaxy with only one empire run. Because I ran into a whole bunch of bugs again. Quest chains that can't end, unidentifiable aliens, uncolonizable planets, etc. etc.

I'm going to try a tiny galaxy with max AI and only hyperspace now.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: May 16, 2016, 12:53:23 am »

That's a pretty good post.  I feel kinda leery about some of the feature requests as they feel out of the scope of the post.  Like the war improvements, like yeah war is not particularly fun at the moment but fixing it is a HUGE design issue.  Plus I wouldn't really say I want war to be more complicated so much as less tedious.  I'm ok with "stronger side wins + rock paper scissors" (most Paradox games have "stronger side wins + no clear rock paper scissors).  The part where maneuvering and harassing is a tedious prelude to the inevitable deathball clash, that is less acceptable to me.

And I definitely don't like the suggestion of more temporary coalitions and badboy, lord knows there's a less BS way to make the AI threatening.  We don't need MORE unstoppable alliances floating around...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: May 16, 2016, 01:12:11 am »

It would be nice to have event chains that might push alliances/federations into foolish wars if handled incorrectly. You know, stuff like WW1 happening all over again, except IN SPACEEEEEEE! All wars are not rational after all, sometimes they just happen.

Regarding ethics, I find it stupid that ethics divergence seems to be to opposite of your government. I think hinterlands should have more divergence in random directions, the same with the edict promoting free thought. It is somewhat logical for very unhappy population to go the opposite of the government ethos as a way of protest, but everyone doing so is silly.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2199 on: May 16, 2016, 01:25:03 am »

Ethos drift is bugged at the moment IIRC. It's supposed to be semi-random but isn't.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: May 16, 2016, 01:51:39 am »

what's the difference between jump types? I know how they work as the in game mechanic but is there any hidden stat to balance the fact that hyperdrives are overly restrictive compared to warp drives?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: May 16, 2016, 02:17:43 am »

what's the difference between jump types? I know how they work as the in game mechanic but is there any hidden stat to balance the fact that hyperdrives are overly restrictive compared to warp drives?

Upon warping in ships equipped with warp drives can't do anything for a while, I think its about 10 days.

This is usually fine, until you warp into an enemy fleet, or more likely, into a defense station with an FTL inhibitor. Warping into the capital system and getting absolutely pounded by the enemy fleet + defense station for 10 seconds can easily lose you the war.

Hyperdrive are also the only drive that can warp out of a system without being at the edge. This is super duper useful in wars.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: May 16, 2016, 03:44:16 am »

Hyperlanes make you jump right over the star, so your only tactical choice may be jumping into the fortress surrounded by four fortresses, each of them with minefield.
Wormholes give your HOOOOGE TACTICAL AND STRATEGIC ADVANTAGE, but need wormhole stations.

I am pretty sure, that battleships with full collection of auras can make corvette swarm pretty miserable, especially that one aura, which slows down hostile fleet noftl speed for 400 %( good luck getting to your firing range) Add arc lightening to L slots, and you get each 100 % accuracy 60 range shot jumping between corvettes damaging more then one of them. 

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: May 16, 2016, 03:52:16 am »

Hyperlanes make you jump right over the star, so your only tactical choice may be jumping into the fortress surrounded by four fortresses, each of them with minefield.
Wormholes give your HOOOOGE TACTICAL AND STRATEGIC ADVANTAGE, but need wormhole stations.

I am pretty sure, that battleships with full collection of auras can make corvette swarm pretty miserable, especially that one aura, which slows down hostile fleet noftl speed for 400 %( good luck getting to your firing range) Add arc lightening to L slots, and you get each 100 % accuracy 60 range shot jumping between corvettes damaging more then one of them.

I think arc lightning isn't actually arcing, according to this https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/4j8a41/minmaxing_fleet_to_absurd_levels/d3694c6  unknown if bug or else.

edit: why are empire at war barred from getting an alliance? I'd really want to help my friendly neighbor and maybe prevent him from getting slaughtered but I can't because he's at war
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 04:46:59 am by LoSboccacc »

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: May 16, 2016, 05:00:33 am »

So apparently, if you decimate an enemy fleet but they use their emergency FTL to retreat, it doesn't count and doesn't show up in the war score tab  ???
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 632