Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678749 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2445 on: May 20, 2016, 04:29:21 pm »

uh
That's not my experience, though I *assume* it's true of their initial releases.
I think he's overstating the case, but they do definitely lack consistency, and if you follow them enough, you get the idea that a big part of this is because of how the social structure of their office works, which isn't really what you want determining outcomes in a company.

heh. heh ha ha haHAHAHHAAAAA.

Yeah you just described pretty much 100% of offices ever.
Yeah but 90% of the offices in successful companies have a lot less variance there and have some structures in place to normalize things.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: May 20, 2016, 05:21:20 pm »

Does it strike anyone else as wrong that a fleet suffering from warp cooldown can immediately become fully functional if they get into a battle? I tried to ambush some warping slugs using my hyperdrive fleet, hoping to massacre the lot of them while they were helpless. Sadly, they instantly shifted to combat mode and managed to (temporarily) escape annihilation using emergency FTL.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: May 20, 2016, 05:22:04 pm »

Ok, WHAT THE FUCK determines the "differing war philosophy" penalty to alliance forming? Its not Bombardment policies, its not War Economy policies, my current best guess is its just YET ANOTHER "you have slightly different ethics" penalty. And it seems entirely random as to whether it appears or not. Two almost completely contradictory ethics? NO PENALTY! You're both individualists to varying degrees? DEATH PENALTY, NO ALLIANCE FOR YOU! IF YOU WANT OUT OF THAT BOXED IN POSITION YOU HAVE TO MURDER THE NICE BIRD PEOPLE!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: May 20, 2016, 05:23:37 pm »

Ok, WHAT THE FUCK determines the "differing war philosophy" penalty to alliance forming? Its not Bombardment policies, its not War Economy policies, my current best guess is its just YET ANOTHER "you have slightly different ethics" penalty. And it seems entirely random as to whether it appears or not. Two almost completely contradictory ethics? NO PENALTY! You're both individualists to varying degrees? DEATH PENALTY, NO ALLIANCE FOR YOU! IF YOU WANT OUT OF THAT BOXED IN POSITION YOU HAVE TO MURDER THE NICE BIRD PEOPLE!

Its a bug. I believe its a pacifists-not pacifist thing
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:28:16 pm by Aedel »
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: May 20, 2016, 06:36:03 pm »

Its a bug. I believe its a pacifists-not pacifist thing
Ah. Well at least I'm not crazy :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: May 20, 2016, 07:03:11 pm »

Ah. Well at least I'm not crazy :P

Well, we all are considering our mutual tastes in games and forum, but it happens to not be the issue this time.

Note to all xenophobic, enslaving empires with filthy xeno vassals: remember to open an embassy with your vassals to show them true power with cheese slices and plush carpets, and remember to build a frontier outpost on their home star with a FTL blocking fortress near their home shipyard. Now, if only slave shielding was a thing.

Edit note: I had forgotten to do this and predictable results happened.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: May 20, 2016, 07:19:44 pm »

Ahh, finally managed to fully conquer a rival nation. It's the same crusading slugs as before; once I crushed their main fleet in a series of nasty ambushes all they had left that could face my ships were a few scattered corvettes and their last two space ports. I smashed all of them, and was bombarding their home world in order to drop troops when they unconditionally surrendered.

After the first war with them, I was busy dealing with dissenting factions for more than ten years, with all of the sabotage and non-violent resistance that implies. This time, the slugs seem to be behaving thus far. There's only one dissident faction, consisting of a single pop on a single planet, that seeks independence for said planet. Maybe they figure that there's no real going back, that life in the Chozo Star Union is how it will be from now on.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: May 20, 2016, 08:22:41 pm »

Does it strike anyone else as wrong that a fleet suffering from warp cooldown can immediately become fully functional if they get into a battle? I tried to ambush some warping slugs using my hyperdrive fleet, hoping to massacre the lot of them while they were helpless. Sadly, they instantly shifted to combat mode and managed to (temporarily) escape annihilation using emergency FTL.
No, that seems perfectly reasonable. The idea behind warp cooldown is to punish warp's flexibility with decreased speed, not make it dangerous to move anywhere during war. I assume.

That said, war/battles could certainly do with more moving parts.

Speaking of which, all of my invading armies are trapped in low orbit around the planets they were on when peace were declared. Are they going to magically warp back when my MIA fleet does, or is that just their life now?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: May 20, 2016, 08:34:49 pm »

Out of complete tucking laziness, is this any good? I do so very much enjoy CKII. Is it more like that or EU?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: May 20, 2016, 08:52:29 pm »

More like EU than CK2. The character interactions that make CK2 great just aren't there, since leaders are more flat and uninteresting. Instead the focus is more on managing your populations and interactions with other empires. Though the game is rather basic at the moment, so that may change with additional DLC. If you're on the fence I would probably wait for Paradox to flesh out the game more, like they usually do.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2455 on: May 20, 2016, 08:55:23 pm »

It's sort of like 4x EU+Vicky IIIIN SPAAAAACE. No dynastic stuff as in CK, and while we've got population management the diplomacy side is also lacking.

Very good game overall, but it's also really unfinished compared to other Pdox titles. If you want a solid experience right through then maybe wait for some DLC to come out.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: May 21, 2016, 06:15:47 am »

Trouble here is that respective fleet power scales exponentially; if you have more ships than the other guy, you blow up his ships faster which means he blows up fewer of your ships. It's way more efficient to build up a superblob and crush an enemy fleet in one go than it is to send wave after wave of expendable minions at it.
Quadratically, actually. A single blob of 10000 ships is an equal match for 100 groups composed of 1000 ships.
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: May 21, 2016, 07:41:12 am »

Fair warning, it's broken as Paradox games usually are. Quest lines don't play nice with survey data acquired outside of your own survey ships doing work, that's why you often stop finding anomalies altogether. If you got map data through a trade deal or Galactic Ambitions, you won't find anomalies (and thus won't find quest points) in those areas. So don't accept any trade deals for map data, and get this mod.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: May 21, 2016, 07:57:46 am »

if anyone is looking for a discount copy I have an extra copy of Stellaris that I acquired.

Looking to sell it for $30

I will take paypal or steam credit

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: May 21, 2016, 08:02:29 am »

Going back to the topic research scaling. To keep up with rising costs you have to earn current_research*0.02/(1.02^(current_pop-10)) in each division with each new pop. It is hard to keep up. Dedicating every non-bonus tile to research is pretty much a requirement. However there is pretty nice cheat to it - robotic pops do not count in research scaling. Keep in mind that slaves DO. This combined with synths' 20% bonus means that if you keep synths happy, you can out-research everyone. Hello tomb worlds. I don't know if it works with play-as-robots mod.

As it comes to tomb worlds (you will love those wastelands) - does anyone know if it's possible to make tile blockers not removable (like pre-sentient encampments)? Removing cost just make them free. I have to keep them on ridiculus price to prevent sector ai from destroying them.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 632