Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678623 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3510 on: October 29, 2016, 02:17:08 pm »

Its been a while since I played this game.  Do you actually have the option of embracing democracy once the game has already started?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: October 29, 2016, 02:25:25 pm »

Yeah, you can change government types. Costs 250 influence each time though, and you're limited by your ethos.

Just lost my new scientist. Was having him survey anomalies to try and gain experience (since I have no unexplored systems within range), and the anomaly spawned pirates that killed him almost instantly.

I don't want to be a quitter, but...maybe I oughta abandon this particular campaign. The game itself seems to want me defeated.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: October 29, 2016, 02:26:47 pm »

e m b r a c e  d e m o c r a c y
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: October 29, 2016, 02:28:09 pm »

but but my parks and millennia-spanning kingdom :<

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: October 29, 2016, 02:34:00 pm »

You know, on a distant world bizarre aliens are watching newscasters use phrases like "welcomed as liberators".

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: October 29, 2016, 03:05:32 pm »

Basically, what all of us are saying is:

The game is actually decent now that most of the disasterous game breaking bugs have been fixed.

There's still some idiocy here and there (precursor quests are impossible, sector AI is still stupid but not as bad as before, etc.) but at least now I can somewhat recommend the game.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: October 29, 2016, 03:08:08 pm »

The precursor quests are the most annoying things, I think. You basically need to have the entire galaxy to yourself, because if any other empire surveys a single one, you can't complete it anymore. They should take a page from Distant Worlds and make the quests unique to each empire.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: October 29, 2016, 03:11:20 pm »

Or make the artifacts a unique and unexpendable resource, forcing you to obtain them by trade or war if another empire has any.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: October 29, 2016, 03:12:41 pm »

I actually finished a Precursor Quest for the first time! It was a complete and utter letdown. I can't even recall what I got, because by that time I was big and powerful enough it barely made any difference.

The lore was nice, though - it was the one that died from an empire-wide plague or somesuch.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: October 29, 2016, 03:19:20 pm »

Yeah, I don't really give a crap about the precursor quests that much because only one of them has a tangible reward.

And it's not even THAT amazing.

The giant monsters of the DLC have huge rewards though.

--------

By the way, here's something amusing that happened.

So the enclaves are generally pretty great. They all give very important benefits and so on. I was trading as usual with the artist guys and doing my usual galactic festival thing because the happiness boost is so frigging massive. However, this year they just randomly shut down the event and left without saying a word. And now they won't answer my calls and they've been ignoring me for about 10 years now.

So if Paradox really wanted me to hate some frigging prissy alien artists, they gave me a damn good reason. Because as soon as I'm done with these other threats I'm going to send their bloody space station into a goddamn black hole.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: October 29, 2016, 03:41:48 pm »

And so the Democratic Crusaders attacked my peaceful kingdom. My people are strong on the ground, but not even they can survive starvation. The youngest colony fended off two invasions (which really should contribute something to warscore) but the planet's people died anyway because blockades halt all production and apparently my dudes can't even do some simple gardening. The crusaders have a mighty fleet that, after losing (and replacing) 10 military ships and 2 science vessels to sheer bad luck, I cannot hope to match in an open battle.

Now it's a parry game as they attempt to blockade another, more established colony, while my fleet launches brief sorties into their systems in an attempt to draw the crusading fleet away. As this goes on, I slowly build up my mineral stocks and construct new ships. Unless I can match their numbers and/or trap them between a space station and my fleet, I don't know how else to fight them.

Huh. Immediately after I returned to the game, the crusaders went on a direct course for my homeworld's space station. My fleet was nearby, and together they smashed the crusaders. Not all of them died, but they lost far more than I did.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:45:30 pm by Sirus »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: October 29, 2016, 03:55:40 pm »

I had one precursor line that led me to a system with a ruined ringworld that gave a total of fifteen engineering research points split between three nodes.

Thing was, it apparently glitched and spawned it before I got all the artifacts, 'cause I had it surveyed and slapped down stations years before that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: October 29, 2016, 04:03:18 pm »

I had one precursor line that led me to a system with a ruined ringworld that gave a total of fifteen engineering research points split between three nodes.

Thing was, it apparently glitched and spawned it before I got all the artifacts, 'cause I had it surveyed and slapped down stations years before that.
I would have considered it weird for a broken ringworld to spontaneously spawn somewhere. Perhaps all the quest did was point you to it, and it was meant to be present as an object from the get-go.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: October 29, 2016, 04:32:39 pm »

Offered a "white peace" to the Crusaders. They accepted, which was good news all around; they didn't have a fleet to attack me with, and my people were getting hit hard by war weariness and lacked the strength to punch through the enemy space stations.

The starved planet was re-colonized, and I plan to install a space station there. Maybe an FTL-snare station as well, since the Crusaders use hyperdrive and seem to need to pass through that system to hit the rest of my turf.

I encountered another empire on the opposite side of the Crusaders, which sucks. I only had the game generate one AI empire, but I guess these new mushroom dudes managed to achieve FTL on their own and are starting to expand. These guys are hyper-xenophobic Despots. Yay.

The new scientist somehow hasn't died yet, which is nice. She's 5-star now.

Other than that, life continues as usual in the Kingdom.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: October 29, 2016, 05:10:41 pm »

I would have considered it weird for a broken ringworld to spontaneously spawn somewhere. Perhaps all the quest did was point you to it, and it was meant to be present as an object from the get-go.
The Precursor event chains that lead to systems spawn them in (or possibly reveal them on the map). That's why you see reports of people suddenly "noticing" unsurveyed systems deep in their territory well after they've surveyed it all, an AI empire has done something that spawned a system. The Cybrex chain spawns the ringworld system and gives you Living Metal, the First League chain spawns their home/capital system.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 632