Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678452 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3570 on: November 02, 2016, 02:32:58 pm »

I like to have a good mix of destroyers/cruisers/battleships, corvettes are good with massive amounts of evasion but otherwise get gutted by everything.  A lot of ship utility is decided by your equipment, lots of armor is always good, good rate of fire as well (so kinetic weapons are actually really solid until you get lances), cruisers carry enough medium and small weapons to clear out small ships, and destroyers make great point-defense platforms.  Battleships are for obliterating anything stupid enough to get in their way.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: November 02, 2016, 02:37:26 pm »

I hear that corvettes can mount torpedoes (or maybe that's wrong), so that could be a good use for them: mass torpedo spam.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: November 02, 2016, 02:40:29 pm »

My personal stance is that guided weapons in space is pure stupidity, but they do, in fact, have a dedicated torpedo carrier hull, specifically to create large amounts of disposable high-alpha torp boats.  Point defense can still stop basically all of them.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: November 02, 2016, 02:59:05 pm »

Unless they have changed it in later patches, everything can mount torpedos - its currently my primary weapon system on most of my fleet.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: November 02, 2016, 03:02:17 pm »

In Heinlein they have radically changed mounting points and hulls, I believe that corvettes are currently the only ship able to mount torpedoes.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: November 02, 2016, 03:05:58 pm »

The wiki mentions "torpedo cruisers" at one point, but who knows if that's accurate or not.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: November 02, 2016, 03:10:42 pm »

Still, if you aren't being really snobby about your space experience (like I am) torpedo corvettes are a thing, they can also serve okay picket duty with autocannons equipped, but generally their utility ceases once you hit late game, where destroyers are better for picket duty, cruisers make vastly superior 'kill the little guy' ships, and battleships are incredibly hard to kill walls of armor and gun.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: November 02, 2016, 03:12:17 pm »

Cruisers do have a section that can mount torpedoes, but it's not really worth it when you could mount a large weapon or a hangar section IMO.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: November 02, 2016, 03:13:56 pm »

I like Corvettes simply because they're cheap as balls and can be produced by the gigaton. They're also really fast, which is excellent for dealing with some idiotic AI quirks such as:

1. Leaving invasion fleets undefended.
2. End game threats leaving constructors undefended.
3. Preventing enemy fleets from warping.

Also they soak a lot of fire. I'd rather replace 10 corvettes than 2 cruisers.

By the way, if you guys aren't sure what weapons are good in the new patch, there's a huge amount of Reddit posts taking about it. But tl;dr:

1. Plasma is best. Except against shields.
2. Kinetic is good overall.
3. Giga Cannon and artillery is great.
4. Energy Torpedoes are good against shields. (If I remember correctly) They're also immune to PD btw.
5. Lances are worthless.
6. Everything else is meh.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: November 02, 2016, 03:51:55 pm »

One thing to remember though is that some weapons become bad or great... depending on the size of your fleet

Huge fleets do not do well with short range weaponry... But are the ones who can make long range into the far better option.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: November 02, 2016, 04:37:06 pm »

TBH though you need two variants of every ship you build. One 'normal', one which ignores armor and stacks shields for the inevitable fight with a laserboating enemy that ignores most/all of your armor. If you fight someone with mining lasers in the mid-game armor is literally a pointless waste of slots.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: November 02, 2016, 05:21:41 pm »

My personal stance is that guided weapons in space is pure stupidity, but they do, in fact, have a dedicated torpedo carrier hull, specifically to create large amounts of disposable high-alpha torp boats.  Point defense can still stop basically all of them.
Wait what?  The way I look at it guided weapons would be the only useful weapons in space.  Doesn't matter how fast something is going, if you're far enough away it should be trivial to dodge it (or if you can't sense it, just move at random and hope you dodge it).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: November 02, 2016, 05:25:51 pm »

Lasers, if your range was inside of a couple lightseconds and you had good targeting systems, hypothetically. With what we can do currently, though, nothing is really >good< in the sense of sci-fi weapons, just different shades of bad.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: November 02, 2016, 06:39:27 pm »

Children of a Dead Earth (if you haven't heard about this) models space warfare in some detail and is quite good. It's pretty much as close as you can get to a 'real' space warfare sim.

That being said, I'd assume most future space warfare would just be lobbing bits of metal/rock at things that are stationary/can't move fast and using drones with an explosive payload on anything else. Lasers are a hypothetical, but only if you could basically rake massive areas of space with them, which would require a ridiculous amount of power.

Space is BIG.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: November 02, 2016, 06:50:48 pm »

Lasers are a hypothetical, but only if you could basically rake massive areas of space with them, which would require a ridiculous amount of power.
Aren't there laser "weapons" already? I say "weapons" because AFAIK they're only used to shoot down missiles.

That said, yeah, space warfare is pretty hard to imagine. Which is why I just give nearly all sci-fi space battles a pass as long as they look cool. If I was to speculate though, it might involve the conflicting spacecraft to close in on each other like ships-of-the-line of some centuries back.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 632