Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678729 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3930 on: December 08, 2016, 10:57:37 pm »

Tir: Dwelt. That's the word you're looking for.

"Change your empire ethics" Yes please.
Dwelled is a word too! ;~;

It's actually surprisingly refreshing that they changed the terminology. And also interesting that now Stalinism is totally oppositional to Communism.
Stalinism was pretty much a totalitarian dictatorship dressed as communism anyway.
But the ethics here are hard-bound, or at least the general theme over everything. :P

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: December 09, 2016, 01:24:01 am »

For people wondering when the game will become fun, this upcoming update seems like a good potential benchmark.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: December 09, 2016, 01:33:37 am »

Eh, Stellaris is still a really fun game in my eyes. It's just nowhere near as fun as it could be, however.
But yeah, updates like the upcoming one are exciting in terms of potential. I've been really wanting some gameplay element other than painting the map, one ceded(/liberated) planet at a time in midgame. Now I just wonder what the expansion content is going to be.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: December 09, 2016, 04:47:19 am »

Banks will obviously include a DLC dedicated to funny ship names.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: December 09, 2016, 07:03:00 am »

Very promising indeed - it seems like all very sensible stuff which will help make empire management slightly more interesting whilst at the same time being a bit more natural.

However, they'll need to make sure there are enough supporting mechanisms around it to make it interesting. If it's just 'spend capital to reduce support by x' it'll still be ultimately very shallow.

As I believe Banks might be about espionage, sending a spy in could be an interesting way to guide/disrupt factions
Yeah. Good on paper, but we'll have to see how it manifests.

Notably, I'm concerned about the clustering of various factions/ethos as they relate to various policies. Some are kind of obviously linked, eg Bombardment and War Type on the Mil/Pac axis. But what if those two policies disagree? Are you just stuck in some kind of faction limbo because nobody else likes one but not the other, or are there factions that will appreciate that? And if so, what else do they want/require? Are there going to be "optimal" policy schemes that really make some factions happy, or will any combination have its own benefits?

Agreed - I can imagine it being difficult from a balance stand point - especially if they're one issue parties. I'm hoping they'll give us the tools to deal with them in some way other than just agreeing to their demands. I really hope they add a bit of life to the factions though.

This is part of my general problem with Stellaris - they need to add a bit more character to the different races/factions/leaders. I never feel like my scientists are anything other than a research or anomaly boost. I never feel like the Gloorp I'm speaking too is anything other than a set of ethics. I'm hoping that Banks will expand on that system a bit more, but I'm not too hopeful.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: December 09, 2016, 12:28:12 pm »

Banks will obviously include a DLC dedicated to funny ship names.

i was hoping for a science-ish victory condition relating to Subliming (in the style of EU4 old westernization, with plenty of special projects and building required)

i tried to start a campaign a few days ago. a few decades in. still an incredibly boring game.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: December 09, 2016, 03:47:21 pm »

I'd love if, at least, the various phenotypes had an impact on gameplay (possibly with an option to shut it off if you just wanna be a pretty butterfly without any gameplay effects, at least for your own race)

I.E. reptilians come cold-blooded and inherently do worse on cold planets and better on warm, or mammals get a small boost to habitability based on temperature, insects get a growth bonus, etc.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: December 09, 2016, 04:12:23 pm »

And what it those "reptilians" aren't? Take, for example, the Narn of Babylon 5, which look like reptiles but are actually marsupials. :)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: December 09, 2016, 04:15:02 pm »

Or perhaps they are reptiles that live primarily near volcanic vents, or in underground caves.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: December 09, 2016, 04:22:48 pm »

they're aliens, the fact that we're *already* calling them reptilian is throwing the whole "but they may not be like earth animals!" out the window :v
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: December 09, 2016, 05:27:15 pm »

they're aliens, the fact that we're *already* calling them reptilian is throwing the whole "but they may not be like earth animals!" out the window :v

Simply calling all the phenotypes "Alien" would have been kinda bland though. And probably more to the point, disorganised

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: December 09, 2016, 06:30:17 pm »

Indeed.  Phenotypes are just a convenient categorizing system so that all the portraits aren't just lumped together into one big mess.  Making them have actual gameplay effects would...ah, be like having cultural_gfx sprites, portraits, and what-have-you in CK or EU have practical gameplay effects.  There's a reason those were separated from the gameplay effects of things like culture and tech groups in the first place.  Things like ectothermy or endothermy would seem to be better suited to traits. 

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: December 09, 2016, 06:32:16 pm »

maybe a better way would be to have AI empires predisposed to certain ethics and traits based on their phenotypes? :V

cuz the whole issue is that they feel bland and interchangeable, right? so instead you get "oh, hey, this empire is reptilian; they're probably gonna have a lot of desert planets" or "hey this is molluscoid, they're probably really good at science" (smart molluscs being a trope in sci fi and all that)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: December 09, 2016, 07:18:00 pm »

maybe a better way would be to have AI empires predisposed to certain ethics and traits based on their phenotypes? :V

cuz the whole issue is that they feel bland and interchangeable, right? so instead you get "oh, hey, this empire is reptilian; they're probably gonna have a lot of desert planets" or "hey this is molluscoid, they're probably really good at science" (smart molluscs being a trope in sci fi and all that)

Yeah I don't think that's a bad idea. It wouldn't have to be that the portrait did anything (you could have very humanoid looking reptiles for instance) but I do think they need to go a lot, lot further in defining a race other than just ethics.

It wouldn't effect the player race, but the AI could be for example a 'collectivist reptile' and try to get a lot of densely populated hot planets as a sort of inbuilt goal - it'd open up things like them trying to trade colder planets for your hot ones and stuff that just doesn't exist right now.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: December 09, 2016, 08:27:05 pm »

I approve of more nuance, but I think I'm going to reluctantly admit I prefer appearance to be purely cosmetic. For me, figuring out what these fanatically xenophobic collective agrarian tundra-dwelling flying monkeys are like is part of the appeal, and giving them an energy boost or tendency to form federations feels like it's bolting two options together rather than making a previously meaningless option important.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 632