Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1686815 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3915 on: December 06, 2016, 12:36:41 pm »

Sectors are so much better now.

That is all.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: December 06, 2016, 02:50:29 pm »

Like...how?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3917 on: December 06, 2016, 03:07:59 pm »

Like...how?
They actually do stuff. Build construction ships, build buildings, build robots if you want them to. They're much less braindead.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: December 06, 2016, 09:37:00 pm »

Huh. So you're saying that I DON'T need to build up a planet completely before giving it to a sector now?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: December 06, 2016, 09:58:55 pm »

Wait, what do you mean by *now*? When did the update to sectors come out? Cause my poor ass is using a torrented version and I've been maxed out on 5 planets because I refuse to use broken sectors, and it's really screwing me mid to late game.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: December 06, 2016, 10:09:48 pm »

Oh that reminds me:

Quote from: 1.4 Patch Notes
* Repeatable technologies have their base cost increased from 1500 to 3000 and their increasing cost increased from 480 to 1000
I'm playing a complete and utter sociology whore in my most recent game, so this feels like it was directed at me specifically and that makes me laugh. Guess 13 core systems and leaders that research new longevity treatments faster than the treatments last wasn't intended!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: December 06, 2016, 10:47:22 pm »

Wait, what do you mean by *now*? When did the update to sectors come out? Cause my poor ass is using a torrented version and I've been maxed out on 5 planets because I refuse to use broken sectors, and it's really screwing me mid to late game.
...Do the sector gov's actually NOT build over useful buildings you set right before you get to pause/click the 'respect resources' and stuff? :x

Also are achievements better able to get...achieved for those with poor connection like me on the 1.4 ironman? >_>
I can see a lot of nice achievements popping up .-.

E: I've always been wondering what people were referencing when they're saying 'lizard overlords'. That one achievement in the Stellaris list had me gratefully clued in into a foothold.

...What is this everyone is referencing? x_x
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:07:46 pm by Tiruin »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: December 06, 2016, 11:23:32 pm »

Look up David Icke and his Reptilians. That's what people are talking about
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: December 08, 2016, 12:07:18 pm »

They're changing collectivist and individualist ethos for authoritarian and egalitarian respectively, reworking ethics divergence, and reworking factions into something that sounds a *bit* like estates from EUIV.

Out of these, the reworked factions is my favourite.
I'm pretty happy the 'collectivist' isn't SLAVERY SLAVERY >_> If we're seriously going by the modern definitions/comparisons, it's pretty much a 180 mirror opposite of what's actually collectivism [in the least collectivism from my perspective as my country is pretty much INTO it], so it felt very weird to see 'individualism' having the attitude of collectivism if the mechanics are pushed aside and the characteristics are noted instead (like the UNoE being all united but...well it just really feels different. That or I'm biased because most of what I see about individualism os haughty boastfulness and less of a remark to empathy :V ...and/or I just don't like slavery, or slavery being attributed to 'collectivism'.)
*link click!*
Yay they changed out collectivism/individualism! :D ...and my mind read 'Authoritarian replaces Collectivism' as 'oh wait what. Whyyyyy :-\' and then dwelled on 'how the stellar government is run' instead of in-game terms :I
That, or I'm just concerned about impressions mentioned by nobody else but me and assuming others live by these impressions. ;~; I'm tired. Augh.
*reads next paragraph*
...I'm too tired that I didn't read that they just explained it very nicely. Yay. :v I do like the broad freedom being presented though.

But what about purging population that players don't like? For...faction support! And all that... .-.; Also really hoping bugfixes happen.

Also for some strange reason totally aside from anything here, I spelled 'dwelled' and there's a red line under it. :V Weird things are poking the forum spellchecker.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: December 08, 2016, 12:09:08 pm »

While I like the change in the ethos, what really caught my interest there are the revamped factions. Really promising stuff.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: December 08, 2016, 12:25:37 pm »

Very promising indeed - it seems like all very sensible stuff which will help make empire management slightly more interesting whilst at the same time being a bit more natural.

However, they'll need to make sure there are enough supporting mechanisms around it to make it interesting. If it's just 'spend capital to reduce support by x' it'll still be ultimately very shallow.

As I believe Banks might be about espionage, sending a spy in could be an interesting way to guide/disrupt factions
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3926 on: December 08, 2016, 12:28:22 pm »

It's actually surprisingly refreshing that they changed the terminology. And also interesting that now Stalinism is totally oppositional to Communism.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: December 08, 2016, 12:31:04 pm »

It's actually surprisingly refreshing that they changed the terminology. And also interesting that now Stalinism is totally oppositional to Communism.
Stalinism was pretty much a totalitarian dictatorship dressed as communism anyway.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: December 08, 2016, 04:08:14 pm »

Tir: Dwelt. That's the word you're looking for.

"Change your empire ethics" Yes please.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:12:53 pm by Descan »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: December 08, 2016, 05:55:27 pm »

I forget if I've mentioned it here or not, but one thing I have to say in this game's favor: Damn space is pretty, they were right about the bloom.

Very promising indeed - it seems like all very sensible stuff which will help make empire management slightly more interesting whilst at the same time being a bit more natural.

However, they'll need to make sure there are enough supporting mechanisms around it to make it interesting. If it's just 'spend capital to reduce support by x' it'll still be ultimately very shallow.

As I believe Banks might be about espionage, sending a spy in could be an interesting way to guide/disrupt factions
Yeah. Good on paper, but we'll have to see how it manifests.

Notably, I'm concerned about the clustering of various factions/ethos as they relate to various policies. Some are kind of obviously linked, eg Bombardment and War Type on the Mil/Pac axis. But what if those two policies disagree? Are you just stuck in some kind of faction limbo because nobody else likes one but not the other, or are there factions that will appreciate that? And if so, what else do they want/require? Are there going to be "optimal" policy schemes that really make some factions happy, or will any combination have its own benefits?

Stalinism was pretty much a totalitarian dictatorship dressed as communism anyway.
Room for interpretation is pretty important here. Presumably not all Materialist empires manifest exactly the same way, so it'd make some sense that you could have a Communist-flavored Stalinist empire even though those are completely mutually exclusive concepts on a larger scale.

A good analogy might be a federation-builder style xenophobic empire. Internally, they're all about [INSERT_SPECIES_HERE] worth and freedom and happiness, cooperation and working together and reaching for the stars. But then they meet actual aliens and panic because it threatens all they've worked so hard to defend, so they get classified as Fanatic Xenophobe with what could be said to be Xenophile fluff. Similarly, Stalin's USSR was ideologically all about a worker's paradise, but then they get to the implementation and the only way to do that is absolute and utter control by an elite few, so they get classified as Totalitarian Asshole with what could be said to be Communist fluff.

"Change your empire ethics" Yes please.
Indeed!

I do hope it's a complete pain in the ass, though. One of the few things they (I assume accidentally) did right was the possible disconnect between the government and its people, most clearly seen when you "liberate" planets into their own puppet empire whose people don't agree with their overlords at all. And, ideally, the very, very slow shift to changing their minds, assuming a bunch of conditions that usually aren't true. :x
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 632