Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677376 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4605 on: April 14, 2017, 12:32:07 am »

Starting with meritocracy and talented is crazy good. You don't even need quick learner. He'll, I'd actually get slow learner as you don't really need exp as much any more, especially with the other skill stuff.

Having rank 3 leaders at the start is so strong. You can basically go for any anomaly and fight enemies 25% stronger than you. Your buildings are also way cheaper and build faster.

The strongest trait is still extremely adaptable though. Being able to settle anywhere basically breaks the game into ultra easy mode, especially in this patch where there's more or less no penalty for low happiness.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: April 14, 2017, 02:03:34 am »

I can't help but feel that leaders are quite lackluster, though. In the sense that they are just floating bonuses, not personalities. I don't give a fuck who is leading what and flying which science ship beyond the very start. Just find a guy with the right bonus and put him in the right position, then forget. I get it, this is similar to what EU4 is like, but still. I'd appreciate a little more personality from leaders. Especially in dictatorships and such. Events tied to the ruler personality traits and the traits of faction leaders would be nice.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: April 14, 2017, 07:52:19 am »

I can't help but feel that leaders are quite lackluster, though. In the sense that they are just floating bonuses, not personalities. I don't give a fuck who is leading what and flying which science ship beyond the very start. Just find a guy with the right bonus and put him in the right position, then forget. I get it, this is similar to what EU4 is like, but still. I'd appreciate a little more personality from leaders. Especially in dictatorships and such. Events tied to the ruler personality traits and the traits of faction leaders would be nice.

Yeah, I've never once known anyone's name or cared about what they do - I just see them as flat bonuses.

Part of the problem is that there aren't really any negative traits/whatever. There's one or two, but they tend to be rather trivial - therefore there's no choice involved. Sure, they don't need to be CK2 style characters (that might get a bit onerous) but they could really do with being just a bit more interesting. 
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: April 14, 2017, 08:43:24 am »

They tried to make them a BIT more interesting in that certain researchers have a much easier time getting certain research (or... in previous versions... are the only way for certain beliefs to get specific research) but it never flourishes and often it feels hard to stack it or even knowing which stacks where.

But then we get into the fact that we can't really do much with them a lot of the time... AND that some of them feel odd in their rarity.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: April 14, 2017, 10:18:29 am »

Also, they tend to really only live long enough to be used once. In my experience, I'd get an admiral, fight a massive fleet battle with him, then he would die like 60 years later having never fought again. New war, new admiral, all over again.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: April 14, 2017, 10:36:38 am »

Also, they tend to really only live long enough to be used once. In my experience, I'd get an admiral, fight a massive fleet battle with him, then he would die like 60 years later having never fought again. New war, new admiral, all over again.
I made a race of cybernetic tree people that lived to around 250 years old.

It was pretty amusing, but there's kinda no point to them living so long other than it being funny seeing the same people get elected over and over again.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: April 14, 2017, 01:24:46 pm »

I have stopped building corvettes entirely. Destroyers are my smallest class, and are mainly relegated to PD.

I currently tearing into my second fallen empire, which awoke immediately after I destroyed the first one.

This actually feels realistic. I feel like really major wars usually only break out once/twice a lifetime.

I'm playing a fleeting race and I have had an admiral or two that never even see a really big war.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 01:49:28 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: April 14, 2017, 02:10:56 pm »

Destroyers have tracking bonuses that help them deal with corvette evasion, so I usually use them for that.  Then I make flak cruisers since you can pack a lot of medium turrets into cruisers compared to their hull cost.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: April 14, 2017, 03:18:23 pm »

awakened fallen empire AI still confirmed for shit.

I just smashed the biggest awakened empire in my galaxy just by touring around their space with a two stacks of ships which combined were a little bigger in size in comparison to their own doomstack of 160k fleet power. Despite the fact my fleet was split in half to take more planets, they never once sent their fleet against me. They just kind of... Went somewhere else, and I just kept taking planets still I won with the total victory condition and they just disappeared.

I mean sure, there was a war in heaven happening, and the other remaining fallen empire was awake and attacking them, but it still made no sense that they didn't try to attack me, considering how close I was to their main fleet.

My fleets are composed almost solely of battleships and corvettes. The corvettes are just meant to use afterburners and get onto the enemy's face and form a screen while the battleships just play artillery on the enemy. I got a second "support" battleship hull type equipped with focused arc emitters, gauss cannons and and flak for enemy fighters/bombers and fast ships in general.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:34:23 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: April 14, 2017, 03:42:56 pm »

Had the unbidden suddenly spawn inside my neighboring rival. They ate him from inside out, and their dwindiling borders netted me a couple of border systems plus a colonizable planet in a galaxy arm that would otherwise be theirs uncontested. Found it really neat how the game can shake up the status quo like that.
The unbidden have since been beaten back by the galatic police, aka crazy awakened ascendancy who declared on me before, and I'm finally having some breathing room and a chance to expand my reach so that hopefully one day I can beat the galatic police into an irrelevant fallen empire again.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: April 14, 2017, 03:58:25 pm »

Had the unbidden suddenly spawn inside my neighboring rival. They ate him from inside out, and their dwindiling borders netted me a couple of border systems plus a colonizable planet in a galaxy arm that would otherwise be theirs uncontested. Found it really neat how the game can shake up the status quo like that.
The unbidden have since been beaten back by the galatic police, aka crazy awakened ascendancy who declared on me before, and I'm finally having some breathing room and a chance to expand my reach so that hopefully one day I can beat the galatic police into an irrelevant fallen empire again.

Help them out in the hopes that you can get some of that sweet sweet tech salvage
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: April 14, 2017, 05:13:07 pm »

I wonder what was the design reason for having the Sentinels awake to the organic extra-galactic invaders, but do totally nothing against the energy-being extra-universal ones. It's not like they're harder or anything, from what I've seen.
._.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4617 on: April 14, 2017, 05:20:14 pm »

Whether or not they awaken and engage them is apparently somewhat random, not certain to happen every game

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: April 14, 2017, 05:26:34 pm »

I wonder what was the design reason for having the Sentinels awake to the organic extra-galactic invaders, but do totally nothing against the energy-being extra-universal ones. It's not like they're harder or anything, from what I've seen.

I'm barely awake so I may not remember it right, but aren't Sentinels following the organic invaders into the galaxy, or specifically trained to fight them?
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: April 14, 2017, 06:21:12 pm »

Also, the unbidden already have their own opponents.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 632