Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124766 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3930 on: February 28, 2011, 11:59:38 am »

I'm still using the old method for flooding farmland, but to make underground tree farms after I breach the first cavern. Underground trees will still only grow on muddy rock.

Not true... I get "trees" (tower cap, etc.) in my pastures dug out of clay/sand, without ever irrigating.  Probably a bug, so don't count on it staying that way whenever .20 comes out.

Obligatory facepalm: If the mason is 80 Z levels up, he probably can't get down to the circus in time to wall up the hole where the clowns are coming out....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: February 28, 2011, 12:05:49 pm »

In .18, so far as I could tell, trees and such grew so long as the level below was soil or the ground was muddy.  I assume the same rules apply for the more recent version.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: February 28, 2011, 12:29:35 pm »

I'm still using the old method for flooding farmland, but to make underground tree farms after I breach the first cavern. Underground trees will still only grow on muddy rock.

Not true... I get "trees" (tower cap, etc.) in my pastures dug out of clay/sand, without ever irrigating.  Probably a bug, so don't count on it staying that way whenever .20 comes out.

Obligatory facepalm: If the mason is 80 Z levels up, he probably can't get down to the circus in time to wall up the hole where the clowns are coming out....
its not a bug because it happens in myn all the time

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: February 28, 2011, 01:05:02 pm »

Excellent. Does that mean that everything that happens on your PC isn't a bug?
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

zehran

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: February 28, 2011, 01:19:12 pm »

Looking at historical figures just to see if there is anything insteresting and apart from a minotaur with nine kills and a human who killed a bronze collossus right out of the blue most of the historical figures are kobolds who died from starvation...

My newest world has a deity of suicide....
My humans have three gods. Assoiciated with rainbows, beauty and peace, respectively.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: February 28, 2011, 06:28:01 pm »

Looking at historical figures just to see if there is anything insteresting and apart from a minotaur with nine kills and a human who killed a bronze collossus right out of the blue most of the historical figures are kobolds who died from starvation...

My newest world has a deity of suicide....
My humans have three gods. Assoiciated with rainbows, beauty and peace, respectively.
so they cut the points off...
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

mszegedy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: March 01, 2011, 01:56:58 am »

Opening the floodgates leading to a river. I'm not sure why I had them in the first place; I think it was… dunno. Handy self-destruct system at least.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: March 02, 2011, 04:50:53 am »

Excellent. Does that mean that everything that happens on your PC isn't a bug?

Once you open up the caverns, spores will take root anywhere that is soil/sand/mud and considered inside.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: March 02, 2011, 04:58:53 am »

Once you open up the caverns, spores will take root anywhere that is soil/sand/mud and considered inside.

Not quite; they won't grow on new constructed stone. No constructed tree towers, alas (that would be cool). Muddied floor over natural stone yes; artificial "new" floor, no.

Vikenator2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: March 02, 2011, 06:44:15 am »

Ok I just had my biggest facepalm ever.

I was on a map with a river, and I was running Dig Deeper. I was under seige by orcs, and everyone was inside. There was a weaponsmith in a fey mood just standing around. I didn't have a well, and I was running low on booze. Everything was set up for a well, all I needed was a chain. So, I had them smelt some nickel, and then built a metalsmith's forge with my only anvil. I ordered some chains to be constructed, and then, before my metalsmiths got there...

UristMcDumbassWeaponsmith has claimed a Metalsmith's Forge!

So now I have to wait until the seige leaves, this bugger goes insane, or all my dwarves die of thirst.

/facepalm.

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: March 02, 2011, 07:13:41 am »

Don't you have the materials for a rope of sorts?

Vikenator2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: March 02, 2011, 07:16:32 am »

You can use ROPE?!?

/double facepalm

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: March 02, 2011, 07:47:22 am »

You can use obsidian for your tree farms :P
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: March 02, 2011, 05:46:02 pm »

Can you? Like, obsidian you created 100Z levels up? I want trees in my sky fortress, but I didn't know I was allowed to have them!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: March 02, 2011, 09:21:20 pm »

Can you? Like, obsidian you created 100Z levels up? I want trees in my sky fortress, but I didn't know I was allowed to have them!

I have a new megaproject idea now.  :D

The Abbey of Diamonds has started construction on a Great Wonder:  The Hanging Gardens!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 729