Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2128282 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10275 on: December 16, 2017, 03:03:36 pm »

Giving them the nobreathe tag means they don’t need to breathe, IIRC.
Black lives matter.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10276 on: December 16, 2017, 05:28:54 pm »

As I have read on the DF wiki that solid objects do not give symptoms (and later proven it with an Oxisilk Gambeson, which did not prevent drowning), I decided to make a material that vaporises upon creation, making everyone nearby become [NOBREATHE] for a day.

Either I failed at it, or I can not do reactions. Either way, here is the material (based on milk of lime).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10277 on: December 18, 2017, 07:05:32 am »

I just lost my entire military: 10 crossbow dwarves (some of them elite after 4 years of training) and 20 assorted hammer-, axe- and speardwarves.

I'm playing my first game in the new version, generated a pocket world and the dwarf civ was wiped out by a hydra in year 4 while the humans and elves have a couple of settlements of ~100 population each. Meanwhile the goblin capital is ~1000 and rumour has it they are well on the way to wiping out the rest.

I dealt with the first two goblin attacks easily. The third time they came in force. 30 gobbos and 30 beakdogs filling 2 screens of my 'units' list. Later on in the fight I noticed that increased to 3 screens, decreased to two screens and rose again to 3 screens. Yeah, I was completely unprepared for that.

The plan was to station my military at the far end of the entrance hall and raise and lower the newly-constructed raised entrance bridge so as to divide the attacking army into manageable parts. Instead my military charged out to engage the enemy. They did very well at first, killing gobbos and beakdogs and advancing against the incoming tide. But as they started to tire, even the best of them succumbed. As my stragglers entered the fight I realized I needed to Pull The Lever and strand my military on the wrong side of the drawbridge.

It looks like I won't see the human caravan this year. Just as well: instead of trade goods I'm frantically making coffins and slabs.

And another facepalm: I just noticed that due to failing to define a quantum stockpile, my sandbags have been traveling in a loop 99 z-levels each way from the general storage near the depot to a minecart next to the glass furnace and back again.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:36:14 am by lazygun »

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10278 on: December 19, 2017, 01:02:51 am »

I was trying to install a bridge in front of my new archer fortification room and built the floor one square too far to the left. I decided "Screw removing it log by log; I'm just going to collapse the whole thing in."

I forgot cave-ins punch through ceillings. Now there's a hole through my secondary workshop room, main metalsmith room, old small tavern, and new large tavern. Oh, and the cook is dead.

Well then, time to try again!
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10279 on: December 24, 2017, 05:24:17 pm »

I opened the first cavern recently while trying to dig a shaft to -112z, where I thought the first cavern was (I had been more than a bit careless with my road-dar.)

I took the wiki's suggestion of pitting a creature down there, and decided to build walls over a bit of the cavern edge, too, so quite a few dwarves were down there, plus the two miners I set to digging out stone near the construction site of the wall. As I smugly sat there admiring their progress, an announcement struck fear into the depths of my soul... well, maybe not that deep, but still frightening.

https://imgur.com/a/ZIWtM

It seems, though, that this was a pre-existing web, not one flung directly from the fear-inspiring maw of a GCS.

dwarf_sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10280 on: December 31, 2017, 03:50:34 pm »

I had just finished by cistern project, all constructed floors and wall with a constructed stair access, well and hatch cover. Started pumping water into cistern to clean/desalinate it when Urist decides he needs to clean himself from syndrome blood, in the cistern.

Remember kids, lock your hatch covers.
Critical hit! It's super effective!

"You scratch the Giant Tiger in the Upper Body, tearing the muscle, shattering the right false rib and tearing apart the heart! An artery has been opened by the attack! A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack! A tendon in the false right rib has been torn!"

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10281 on: January 03, 2018, 10:42:00 am »

Dragon came. I ordered every civilian into the underground burrow. Dragon loitered at the map edge. I allowed civilians into the area enclosed by fortifications while forbidding everything else on the surface. Dragon started a forest fire. I rapidly fireproofed the entrance to my fort so the fire wouldn't propagate inside. Fire petered out after burning the northwest of the map: seems to have a bit of trouble crossing z-levels. I relaxed a bit, allowed civilians to collect logs and discarded clothing from near the fort. Elf monster hunter arrived, hit the dragon with a single willow bolt before melting. Similar for a couple of human visitors.

Unfortunately they lured the dragon away from the map edge where it picked up the scent of dwarfs, roasted a hauler and headed at breakneck speed towards my fort. I had actually hooked up my drawbridge to the lever now, but the dragon was *fast* and got inside, roasted a mechanic working on a cage trap, roasted all my war dogs, roasted my hastily-activated crossbow militia armed with training bolts, attacked my axedwarf squad who had been too busy "watching striking demonstration" to intervene earlier. Eventually one of them did lop its head off.

My losses: about three quarters of my military, my best metal armour and weapons turned into clouds of molten iron and steel, a few civilians, all my war dogs, all my grazing pets and wool-providing animals, and my main quantum stockpile of over 1000 logs. At least there's very little cleanup: just the chore of making sure every evaporated dwarf gets a memorial slab.

Sometime during this mess, the human caravan arrived and by now my drawbridge was closed so the caravans bypassed my site.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10282 on: January 05, 2018, 12:57:48 am »

Took advantage of ocean freezing solid to do some extensive digging operations for my undersea fortress. Come spring, I notice the whole ocean draining into now exposed aquifer. Ow, my FPS.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10283 on: January 05, 2018, 02:54:11 pm »

Took advantage of ocean freezing solid to do some extensive digging operations for my undersea fortress. Come spring, I notice the whole ocean draining into now exposed aquifer. Ow, my FPS.

Wait till it freezes next and seal off the exposed Aquifer? Might take awhile, but if you want to keep playing it may be worth it.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10284 on: January 05, 2018, 09:02:14 pm »

Wait till it freezes next and seal off the exposed Aquifer? Might take awhile, but if you want to keep playing it may be worth it.

That's my current plan, whenever this game manages to ooze into next winter. Haven't had this low FPS since the Circus came to town last time.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10285 on: January 12, 2018, 10:38:37 am »

Just finished my extensive surface-castle entrance to my fort proper, replete with entry courtyard of death, stables and protected pasture, courtyard proper, and a gatehouse all leading down into a labyrinthean defensive tunnel, where my trade depot, militia barracks, and main stairwell lie.  The coup-de-grace on the castle was filling the large moat with magma tapped straight from the precipitious volcanic peak that makes up the back wall of my castle.  I even had to reroute the river in order to make room for the moat, and now viscous molten rock flows side-by-side with a deep pool against the castle fundaments, in which the salmon can be seen spawning, seperated only by a thin wall of stone laid down in the river bed in the heart of winter. 

I was congratulating my dwarves on a job well done, when the elven caravan finished up their trade business (man are those guys poor) and went on their merry way. 

I watched in bemusement as one of the merchants seemed to get lost in my expansive courtyard.  Perchance he was just appreciating the magnificent architecture? The spritual way in which dwarven stone and industry were combined with nature, preserving several ponds with large, brooding trees on their banks, vigilant over the replete meadows left preserved within my walls?   Surely even an elf could find satisfaction in that kind of construction. 

But no.  He went back into the gatehouse... and up the steps to the first flight..  and out onto a seperation wall that cuts through the courtyards like a knife, sectioning off the kill-zone entry way from the idealic pastures.  There the elf tip-toed merrily with his horse and cart, along the top of that dizzying wall, all the way down its length, to the point were it adjoined with the outer wall...  And here he tripped merrily up onto the mountainside, and made his way home. 

A single, elven footstep, from the wilderness, directly into the heart of my home.  I realized in horror that the staircase he used to gain purchase on that wall was within the gatehouse.  Behind the first three of only four drawbridges seperating Urist McPotteryismylife from the goblin hordes.  The entire mountainside needed to be built up, in my haste to accomplish a beautiful and magnificent work of art, I had neglected the very seat of my home into which it was built.  It would take some time, and blocks! And I had just depleted my stockpiles finishing the construction!  Time was of the essence! I hurriedly checked my last censor report: 75 dwarves.  And with that, an announcement.

"Some immigrants have arrived."
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:43:52 am by daggaz »

Amorphage

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE] [FANCIFUL] [SLOW_LEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10286 on: January 12, 2018, 11:25:22 am »

Generated a Smaller world where dwarves were nearly extinct. Decided to make a fort on a small island off the coast so my dwarves would have (less) problems asides from maybe some werebeast attacks until their population got to a reasonable enough level.
"This is a great idea!" I said, "What could go wrong?" I said.
Then I accidentally embarked directly on top of a night troll's lair because I forgot to check legends viewer.  :-X

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10287 on: January 12, 2018, 12:06:48 pm »

Generated a Smaller world where dwarves were nearly extinct. Decided to make a fort on a small island off the coast so my dwarves would have (less) problems asides from maybe some werebeast attacks until their population got to a reasonable enough level.
"This is a great idea!" I said, "What could go wrong?" I said.
Then I accidentally embarked directly on top of a night troll's lair because I forgot to check legends viewer.  :-X

That's what you get for asking. The answer to "What could (possibly) go wrong?" is of course "!!EVERYTHING!!"
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10288 on: January 13, 2018, 02:24:50 pm »

I wondered why my dwarves were so thirsty... and then realized I forgot to turn off a civilian alert.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10289 on: January 14, 2018, 05:41:53 am »

I wondered why my dwarves were so thirsty... and then realized I forgot to turn off a civilian alert.
it was only for the immense amount of "Urist McMäck cancelled drinking/giving water. Water source not found." that i remembered that it was a cold embark and the river must 've frozen - they all died of dehydration just because of my bad planning :(
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 684 685 [686] 687 688 ... 729