Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 451

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - 0.C is out! Our monsters fight each other!  (Read 798720 times)

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Damn. I had a ton of spoiler berries in my last save but I died to a zombie bio-operator despite the fact that I was a super mutant martial art god. Any tips on killing them?
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

They can shock you, so meleeing them sounds like a bad idea. Have you tried applying a shotgun to the face?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

They can shock you, so meleeing them sounds like a bad idea. Have you tried applying a shotgun to the face?
Rivtech short shotgun is my all-time favorite backup for cases like this - it's powerful enough and small enough to count as a handgun for holsters, so you can eliminate any non-mechanical enemy in around three turns. The ammo rareness is only more of an incentive to use it as an emergency weapon.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW, and post to finally getting around to playing this. :D

Any tips for a first time player with only a couple videos as knowledge? (I'll learn quickly :) )
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Experiment and fail quickly. It's the best way to learn the colossal amount of content in this game.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

Three important pieces of advice:
1) Take things slow. Try to deal with zombies 1-2 at a time. Don't try to take on the whole horde with nothing but good intentions.
2) Don't get hurt. Your ability to fight degrades as you get hurt (as well as your ability to run away), which means you can very quickly snowball into a loop of you getting hurt which makes you less able to fight/run which means you get hurt more and so on. Lure zombies onto things like bushes and other things that slow them down, take a potshot, and then lure them onto something else. Never give them a chance to strike back.
3) When in doubt, RUN. You can outpace most things that would try to hurt you, with a few notable exceptions. Learn what those exceptions are, and learn when you have to turn and fight because you can't run, but when in doubt always try to run away first.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

Get a car.  Use it to find a place.  Caves and underground in general still seems like a pretty safe bet.  But a bike/car/quad/bus are ideal to help you avoid the tedium of dodging zombie dogs through houses.

There's apparently 3x3 refugee centers

+++
+++
+++

That have working cars with a little fuel, but tons of npcs to keep you safe.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm, the last refugee center I went into (was also my first) was empty upstairs, and I did not manage to get downstairs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

Hm, the last refugee center I went into (was also my first) was empty upstairs, and I did not manage to get downstairs.
Mine always have zombies that spawn in the top-right quadrant.  Lulz are had as I bait them into the npcs.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do you guys find those centers? I've been looking for one of them for ages.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What can you do with the plutonium generators at military outposts?
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Disassemble for minireactors and plutonium cells.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile

Any tips for a first time player with only a couple videos as knowledge? (I'll learn quickly :) )

Knife spears. Seriously, knife spears are amazing and are the best generic starter weapon (barring martial arts). If you use the latest 0.C though forked spears are better but take more work. Also, tailoring in general is a vital part of the game and can help you survive the first few days. Along with tailoring is learning how the encumbrance and layering system works to be both protected and able to fight zombies.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

Knife spears. Seriously, knife spears are amazing and are the best generic starter weapon (barring martial arts). If you use the latest 0.C though forked spears are better but take more work. Also, tailoring in general is a vital part of the game and can help you survive the first few days. Along with tailoring is learning how the encumbrance and layering system works to be both protected and able to fight zombies.

Alternatively, cudgel, which will deal with skeletons and stun opponents with great speed.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile

Cudgels might actually be really good now that they can be used in fencing. It seems that the forked spear is superior to both since it has the block tag instead of parry.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 451