Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1439063 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #6915 on: November 04, 2013, 12:19:25 am »

Spoiler: Landing on duna (click to show/hide)

Ended up crashing ~1000 units of spare fuel into Kerbin, due to overengineerd lander.

this craft

i approve of it

* LordSlowpoke claps

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #6916 on: November 04, 2013, 12:21:18 am »

When your 100t lifter is attached to a 1,000t lifter, then you're kerbaling correctly.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: November 04, 2013, 02:02:46 am »

I wonder how many people take the 'needs more boosters' thing seriously and wonder why they never accomplish anything more than spectacular explosions.
Anyway, what are the limits of asparagus? Is there any point in which you just can't shove more layers on something and have to find a new solution?
Yes, there is a limit; it is whatever makes the game run too slowly to feasibly launch.

Assuming you have a good computer, that limit will typically not come until you are launching Spirit of Kerbin sized stations. For me, the limit is right around this:
My new fueling station is ready for use:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's actually a pair of them; each starts with 48 mainsails, and can lift 20k lox & 20k fuel. They have all sorts of docking ports; though I found they are a huge pain to dock to other things, since their rcs is weak and way off center.

Needed to clean my apartment tonight; so I decided to go to Jool for the long wait times. Encountered 3 moons, finally landing in the oceans of Laythe. Got 5500 science points for it. Not bad. Now I've got most of the mod parts unlocked, so I can start on interplanetary colonization efforts.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:33:51 am by alway »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: November 04, 2013, 06:51:17 am »

Hah! Solar Magnetohydrodynamics - Dr. Genefrid Kerman et al.  http://imgur.com/a/hCIob
Never before have i felt so bad about the plight of any kerbal, poor genefrid just has no luck.

"Genefrid, biting his lip, in half, I think he's a little pissed. Now we've just gotta get him back to base so we can launch him again. I never "recover" Genefrid. I have to pick him up, and deliver him back to orbit so he can get back to Ike and continue his previous mission."
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6919 on: November 04, 2013, 09:02:45 am »

That's one of the best LPs I've ever seen...

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6920 on: November 04, 2013, 01:21:06 pm »

That was amazing.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6921 on: November 04, 2013, 01:25:06 pm »

Finally got around to really playing the new version last night. Digging the research stuff. It's kind of exciting unlocking new parts to play with.

Did some basic kerbin launches and orbiting, did some science in a few places on kerbin, and then did a few long-orbit flights and then finally looked towards the mun. So far I've done a flyby and an orbital run, got good science off of both. No landings yet, but I think with the stuff I just unlocked I'll be able to.

Also, I discovered that the Tron Legacy soundtrack works really well for KSP.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6922 on: November 04, 2013, 04:21:07 pm »

Jef's most recent Let's play episode is hilarious.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 04:22:44 pm by MagmaMcFry »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6923 on: November 04, 2013, 07:35:44 pm »

The Sabre MKIV is a success.   Replaced the nuclear with an aerospike and two of the jet fuel units with liquid fuel, and I managed to achieve a stable orbit around Kerbin.  If I had a space station up I'd even be able to refuel and go the Minimus.   
Unfortunatly due to shenanagins fuel was completely messed up so I came down with about 100 units of fuel that was completely useless.  I had my jet engines eating fuel from the fuel for the aerospike, and the aerospike eating the fuel for the jet engines.   Because of that I had to attempt an upowered landing. which failed after I ran out of ground.   This thing does not take to water well.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6924 on: November 04, 2013, 07:41:46 pm »

more fuel pipes?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6925 on: November 04, 2013, 07:56:34 pm »

You can disable individual fuel tanks. For a vehicle like this, it's probably worth assigning a hotkey.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6926 on: November 04, 2013, 07:57:00 pm »

new version of tree loader plugin comes with a science tree that replicates a more natural progression for space flight:

first level is kind of lame but then you progressively unlocks basic wings, then better ones and it gets a while before you can go and reap the big mun science pools.

I like it. now doing things feels like an accomplishment. using far and deadly reentry and only the second tier wing I brought a plane with the basic jet engine and radial intakes to scrape the upper atmosphere by speeding at the max altitude of the basic engine an then pitching up - almost lost control, but I got the valuable upper atmosphere reading for temperature and pressure....

and it was properly satisfying.

edit:
Spoiler: and the plane (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:10:34 pm by LoSboccacc »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6927 on: November 04, 2013, 08:04:34 pm »

You can disable individual fuel tanks. For a vehicle like this, it's probably worth assigning a hotkey.
How do you assign a hotkey?  I've got one set up for the turbojets, intakes, and the aerospike, but there are no options avaliable for the fuel tanks.  I have to manuelly disable each tank. 
Also I found a neat tutorial on spaceflight by NASA-  http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/basics/bsf3-4.php
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:51:22 pm by Lightningfalcon »
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: November 04, 2013, 10:44:49 pm »

How do you assign a hotkey?

There's a mod for that. I forget what it's called.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6929 on: November 04, 2013, 11:37:05 pm »

I finally managed to build my first SSTO spaceplane.It is an absolutely useless spaceplane, but I still feel very proud.
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 848