Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Ye Olde Magma Forge: A Blacksmith discussion thread.  (Read 20374 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Ye Olde Magma Forge: A Blacksmith discussion thread.
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2012, 02:22:42 pm »

It's getting kind of lonely in here, but I'll plod on in the hopes and more people will participate... :)

I did another set of tongs, this time for a bladesmith who requested flat-bit bolt tongs.

Spoiler: The whole set. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Closed mouth (click to show/hide)

This is the last set I had as a request. I'll probably do another set just to have them around so people don't feel bad asking for them.

The next piece I did this weekend has a funny story. One of my advisor's other students will be defending his PhD tomorrow, and he was apparently almost about to quit at some point to become a cook. It turns out he was proving all these negative results, and couldn't get anything that was actually true. But he turned it around and is apparently going to have a kickass thesis, so it's all good! I thought I'd make him a little something related to cooking as a graduation present :)

'Lo, the crappy meat fork!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But more importantly,

Hope you guys liked it :)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2012, 06:50:09 pm »

Well, lately I've been trying out aluminum casting and other at-home stuff. Unfortunately my camera uses the world's worst card format (xd) and I can't take any pictures without using my old computer and that's too much work.

So, first we tried pouring aluminum into stuff and melting it. Sadly, our propane torch only barely melted it so any real casting won't work since it cools too fast... but our two non-cast tests are pretty neat. It made one flat (really flat, I was surprised) sheet when poured on our concrete driveway pad, and it's pointy where it rolled into the little ridges and trenches on the pad. Then we poured it directly into water (this was all really small amounts - we had a narrow window rod that we hacksawed into 1" sections) and it made a nifty drop shape with a crumpled back - it's pretty fun just to hold. Later, I learned that if we had heated it with something hotter, it could have exploded into powder as soon as it hit the water, and metals like tin and lead form long spires (I guess because their "near-solidifying" temperature isn't as hot). Then we tried some failtastic Lego castings in sand, which led to two non-complete failures with just one where a single stud managed to cast before the metal solidified.

Then I found a lovely brass light switch cover and decided that I would plate a dime in brass. Of course, it didn't work, because the alloy wasn't properly mixed on the dime and I got some zinc scunge on one side and some floating clouds of copper/crud. I'll have to try pure copper next.

This week's project is to find some zinc to make better castings out of.
My wooden badge was delicious.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2012, 08:03:54 pm »

Just be careful what you heat. Toxic fumes ain't fun guys. Also sorry about the lack of stuff from me. College.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2012, 03:26:00 am »

Goomba, I personally hate gas-based stuff. I'm always afraid it'll decide to blow up in my face, but if you can get an oxy-acetylene kit, it'll heat up anything quite nicely. Lots of blacksmiths use them, but I'm afraid it's less accessible than a normal propane torch.

Also, did you try hammering the aluminium? I recall seeing someone try to bend it and it just broke. It was especially hard because it doesn't give you any hints about the temperature that it's at, unlike iron.

Kisame: I know that feeling... that's pretty much how the past 7 years of my life were. But no more!

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2012, 07:17:23 am »

No, all we did was put the lump on an old iron (?) coffee can and melt it. The acetylene torch is something I'd like but we didn't have one at the time :U

After a while, it glowed a teensy little bit, but it may have been my imagination/the coffee can below it. You could tell it was liquid though because it started rolling into a little puddle. There was no hammering though, because it was my first time working with really hot anything and I didn't want to hit anything really hot in case it exploded or something...

I also discovered that a 2003 Canadian dime gets the nickel (?) plating dissolved inside it when torched, leaving just the steel center, but an American dime warps and actually cracks into three layers. None of the layers actually melted, but the copper got pretty irregular.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2012, 07:52:41 am »

It's getting kind of lonely in here, but I'll plod on in the hopes and more people will participate... :)

I did another set of tongs, this time for a bladesmith who requested flat-bit bolt tongs.

Spoiler: The whole set. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Closed mouth (click to show/hide)

This is the last set I had as a request. I'll probably do another set just to have them around so people don't feel bad asking for them.

The next piece I did this weekend has a funny story. One of my advisor's other students will be defending his PhD tomorrow, and he was apparently almost about to quit at some point to become a cook. It turns out he was proving all these negative results, and couldn't get anything that was actually true. But he turned it around and is apparently going to have a kickass thesis, so it's all good! I thought I'd make him a little something related to cooking as a graduation present :)

'Lo, the crappy meat fork!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But more importantly,

Hope you guys liked it :)

That meat fork... looks amazing. I would love to impale a roast with that and carve it up for family and friends. :P

DO you take commissions? When I've actually got money, and said item is able to get through Australian Customs I might order one if you do that. :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2012, 08:01:19 am »

That is a pretty neato meat fork.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2012, 06:05:25 pm »

Reudh,

I have to tell you how much I appreciate that you'd actually pay money and support this type of activity. Since you're the first to do that, I'd be delighted to do something for you for free. You can pay shipping :)

What kind of thing would you like to get? Any style in mind? Could you do a drawing of what you'd like? I'd prefer not to do the exact same thing :)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2012, 06:23:04 pm »

He'd also have to pay for whatever customs does to make international shipping more expensive.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2012, 07:36:11 pm »

Anvil, I am not sure at this point what I'd like. I'd have to think on it. :P

Also, not sure how much shipping would cost for getting it from wherever you are to here.
It all depends, oh.. as everything does, it all depends on me getting a job so i CAN afford to commission things like that. :/

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2012, 02:12:19 am »

I'm in Portugal, so pretty much on the other side of the globe. I'm wondering whether air shipping is less costly than just drilling a hole all the way over :P Either way, this should be marked as a gift, so customs hopefully would not be a problem.

Either way, take your time :) I'm plenty busy anyways :)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2012, 09:18:29 pm »

Since my own attempts at blacksmithing fell through, I decided to actually learn something about metalworking. Right now I'm about 15 hours into Welding 1, and I'm signed up for another 3 courses. It's pretty fun so far, cutting is more fun than it has any right to be.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2012, 09:57:57 pm »

I think it's the FWOOSH when you light it up. At least for acetylene. Heheh FWOOSH.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2012, 11:09:48 pm »

I think it's the FWOOSH when you light it up. At least for acetylene. Heheh FWOOSH.
Nah, I like seeing the metal running like water, and the sparks.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2012, 04:49:40 am »

Aw, Kilroy, I'm sad to hear that. What happened?

I have to say that there are some pretty nifty books (no longer copyrighted) that you can use for learning. I read through them a while back I felt like they followed pretty much the syllabus for the National Certificate in Blacksmithing and Metalwork I was lucky enough to be able to attend. You can grab those here. I'd start with "The Blacksmith's Craft" and then move on to "Wrought Ironwork". The first one covers the very basics, and the second one takes the basics from small pieces all the way to making a big iron gate.

They should be perfect for learning by yourself. In particular, welding classes should totally help you get your equipment going and all that stuff.

I hate gas cutting and I hate gas. I'm fairly accident prone, and it's the kind of thing that an accident only happens ONCE... :\
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10