Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 73

Author Topic: Mario Kart Grand Prix- Season Two Underway  (Read 239533 times)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Grand Prix
« Reply #240 on: May 06, 2012, 10:39:08 pm »

Captain Falcon would say something clever about the state of the race, but he's too busy wiping blooper ink off his clothing. That's what he gets for buying a front row seat.

"Good thing I wear this helmet everywhere I go"

(personally, I like Harkinian more)

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 06, 2012, 11:32:13 pm »

Eat my dust, Mr. Green!

Defensive driving around the outside!  Don't let him get a chance to pass!

And before anyone asks, yes, I'll be taking another look at the Pulling Ahead rules as well. It's a bit too easy right now.

It could be an artifact of the high speed of this course- generally, the three lost momentum should delay any further attempts, but it's practically gotten back as soon as you pull ahead here.  Perhaps a limit to how far ahead one can pull?

Partly it's related to the high speed of the course, and partly it's related to the relative dearth of Items that reduce Momentum- we've had what, a Green Shell and an ineffective Bob-omb? Link is gonna unleash a Thunderbolt soon, but for Mario Kart there should really have been more items in play.

That said, even with the changes in course design the next few speedways will introduce I think the Segment Warping we've seen the last few turns could still happen too easily. I'd like it to be really difficult to Pull Ahead two turns in a row, even with favorable conditions- this give the laggers more chance to Pull Ahead themselves, or to get some Item help. I'm leaning towards upping the requirement to 5 Momentum and the loss to 4- we'll see where I end up when I think about it some more.

((Hrm, what would happen if I used my thunderbolt, also? Whose would hit first?))

Regrettably, there is only one Thunderbolt, and it was stolen from you by Link with his Boo. I probably shouldn't have included the Boo in the first place since the turn based format makes it a really dick item, but oh well. He's definitely on his way out for future races.

In a hypothetical situation where 2 Thunderbolts exist, the player in front would get to use it first, it being assumed he got his a split second earlier- this would cause the second player to lose his.

I think Fox should be awarded that popularity prize. Most votes went to him, and I guess Harkinian hit second.

I'm going to hold an official poll after the race, so that any last minute heroics/RP can be resolved before people vote.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 06, 2012, 11:39:55 pm »

((Oh, right, I missed that bit.))

>All-or-nothing time! Fox will drive aggressively! Not doing a barrel roll this time though, that didn't work out so well.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 06, 2012, 11:44:00 pm »

Partly it's related to the high speed of the course, and partly it's related to the relative dearth of Items that reduce Momentum- we've had what, a Green Shell and an ineffective Bob-omb? Link is gonna unleash a Thunderbolt soon, but for Mario Kart there should really have been more items in play.

That said, even with the changes in course design the next few speedways will introduce I think the Segment Warping we've seen the last few turns could still happen too easily. I'd like it to be really difficult to Pull Ahead two turns in a row, even with favorable conditions- this give the laggers more chance to Pull Ahead themselves, or to get some Item help. I'm leaning towards upping the requirement to 5 Momentum and the loss to 4- we'll see where I end up when I think about it some more.

Perhaps change the Item Get roll to succeed on a three?

Perhaps even enforce a 1-segment cooldown on pulling ahead?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #244 on: May 07, 2012, 04:29:59 am »

...I call bullshit. Seriously, how many rolls have I actually made successfully? I demand to know which RNG you are praying to.

...Powerslide on inside. Again.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 07, 2012, 11:44:10 am »

Second's not bad... it's where I've lived all my life, and it gives me a shot at the star cup, but I can take first. If I can just nail this power slide...

Powerslide around the dash panels for the win! (Hopefully)

And honestly, part of the reason items have been scarce is because the dash panels have been a really popular choice on the curves. I haven't stopped for an item box all race, and those that did have had pretty bad luck on actually nabbing one.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 07, 2012, 12:06:29 pm »

Good luck, Luigi!

I can agree with your item assessment as well- I took an item first turn (and even used it to good advantage) but since them I've always opted for the momentum.   Probably something to consider for future course design.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 07, 2012, 10:25:15 pm »

Luigi Circuit- Turn Eleven
1st      2nd      3rd      4th      5th     6th
Player Action

Defensive driving around the outside!  Don't let him get a chance to pass!

Eat my dust, Mr. Green!

Crank flies around the outer path of BLUE, watching Luigi in his rear-view, hoping to keep him there! He Drives Defensively, gaining a +1 bonus to avoid being passed!

Powerslide around the dash panels for the win! (Hopefully)

Second's not bad... it's where I've lived all my life, and it gives me a shot at the star cup, but I can take first. If I can just nail this power slide...

[4]+1 Luigi succeeds on his powerslide! Unfortunately, his Momentum is not higher than Crank's, and he doesn't get the immediate Pass Attempt! If only he had cut to the inside of the path!

Quote from: Gatleos
...establishing connection...

King Harkinian seems dazed by the performance of Crank and Luigi, and is uncharacteristically withdrawn! He drives defensively, gaining a +1 bonus against being passed and a +1 bonus against attacks!

Use item! Drive aggressively!

"Scrub THIS, you fat fool!"

Link unleashes the THUNDERBOLT, shrinking all other drivers! They lose THREE Momentum, any items, and suffer a -2 penalty to Racing Checks until the end of next turn!

He follows up with some good, old-fashioned Reckless Driving, [6] and BOY HOWDY does he take advantage! Link gains THREE Momentum and tears after his stunned King!

...Powerslide on inside. Again.

Kirby goes into his powerslide right as Link brings the THUNDER! [4]+1-2 His suddenly-tiny engine can't push him forward with any appreciable speed!

((Oh, right, I missed that bit.))

>All-or-nothing time! Fox will drive aggressively! Not doing a barrel roll this time though, that didn't work out so well.

With nothing to lose, Fox McCloud drives aggressively despite his small stature, [6]-2 and somehow makes headway! He gains ONE Momentum!

Movement Phase

Crank hits the Dash Panels and boosts across the finish line! CRANK HAS WON THE RACE! Fame, riches, notoriety- he's the hottest commodity in MKL, for this week at least!

Luigi follows Crank across the finish line, PLACING SECOND! He consoles himself with the knowledge that his gain in Coin and Fame will likely bring Sponsors knocking, and gives him an excellent shot at qualifying for the Star Cup!

King Harkinian hits the Dash Panel in GREEN, surging forward with ONE Momentum! His tiny Kart has no chance of Pulling Ahead!

Link barrels through the Dash Panel in GREEN, gaining ONE Momentum and pulling up fast on King Harkinian! [6]+7vs[5]+1+1 He cruises past the King as his incorporeality fades, seizing Third Place and a chance at the last money position in this race!

Kirby [2]+2 evades the Chain Chomp by PURPLE, but has no Momentum! [4] Fortunately, he manages to putter on through the inside and avoid Falling Back!

Fox [6]+2 breezes past the Chain Chomp as he comes up behind Kirby! [1]+1vs[6]+0 Kirby's fierce driving keeps him at bay, however!

Cleanup Phase

Link slows to his cruising speed of 5.

Kirby scoots toward an Item Box, [3]+1 and manages to get one! [2]+2+1 He gets a Bob-omb- may it be more useful than the one Fox had!

Speaking of Fox, [3]+1 he also snags an Item Box, [3]+3+1 and gets a Red Shell!

LEADERBOARD
Spoiler: King Harkinian (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kirby (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Luigi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Crank (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Link (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fox McCloud (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Course Info (click to show/hide)

...I call bullshit. Seriously, how many rolls have I actually made successfully? I demand to know which RNG you are praying to.

No denying, you've had some baaad luck. If I was more motivated, I'd have kept track of how well everyone rolled like I did in Roll to Deathmatch, but that was kindof a pain in the ass. My RNG of choice for this race has been whatever d6 I happened to pluck out of my dice bag- it probably hasn't been the same die each time. If it makes you feel better, in the aforementioned Deathmatch Gatleos had a run of 1's that resulted in his self-decapitation within 3 turns. And Toaster had a nasty bit of luck in that same Round that lead to his elimination- good on ya, Crank!

Perhaps change the Item Get roll to succeed on a three?

Perhaps even enforce a 1-segment cooldown on pulling ahead?

Yeah, future Item Boxes will be easier to hit- a mere +1 will be poor odds on most courses.

I'm generally against having a mandated Pull Ahead cooldown, since I don't mind if it is technically possible and it's one more thing I'd have to track.

Congratulations to Crank and Luigi for taking home some Coin and Fame- Third Place will win the Coin they need to cover the entrance fee, and then it'll be all about the Points for Fourth and Fifth. When the race finishes in a couple turns here we'll be hitting the metagame portion of the RTD, and that's when Sponsorship deals and what all else will come into play. We should be stirring up some intrigue for the next race and the Star Cup!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #248 on: May 07, 2012, 10:30:35 pm »

AGH I was just about to post! Well, I guess I would have driven defensively anyway. DAMN YOU BOO

Use the blooper and drive aggressively through the outer curve! GOGOGO
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 07, 2012, 10:33:18 pm »

Defensive outside!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 07, 2012, 10:35:42 pm »

Well, that's the race! If only I'd tried drafting Crank on that last turn, perhaps things would have been different. It's too late now though. I'll have to see if I can't upgrade this kart a bit for the Star Cup.

Engage victory lap!

Congrats, Toaster. (And let's face it, Luigi getting second place is kind of fitting. XD)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #251 on: May 07, 2012, 10:41:50 pm »

King Harkinian becomes enraged and, after releasing the blooper, (ineffectively) tosses it at Link like a projectile weapon!
"OOOAAAHHHH DIE YOU SKIRT-WEARING PANSY"
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 07, 2012, 10:56:27 pm »

AGH I was just about to post! Well, I guess I would have driven defensively anyway. DAMN YOU BOO

I don't fart around with my 24 hour deadlines, eh wot! You even had an extra thirteen minutes this time! Some people, I tellz ya.

Well, that's the race! If only I'd tried drafting Crank on that last turn, perhaps things would have been different. It's too late now though. I'll have to see if I can't upgrade this kart a bit for the Star Cup.

Engage victory lap!

Congrats, Toaster. (And let's face it, Luigi getting second place is kind of fitting. XD)

If I hadn't been at work, I'd have posted to warn you about that. Drafting or Power Sliding to the inside could have given you a shot- draft would be safer, power slide would give you higher odds if you pulled it off in the first place. Let's see if the others learn! (hint- Gatleos has not)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #253 on: May 07, 2012, 11:02:56 pm »

If I used a power slide I would get an immediate pass attempt, but I would be behind by three momentum... but I guess he's already at max momentum, so trying to pass normally is impossible.

Put that together with the huge buff to powerslides on this course, and I might as well Powerslide around the outside while releasing the blooper.

I guess.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 07, 2012, 11:12:43 pm »

Woohoo!  Luigi, come on by and you can have some of this champagne!  Well done, all!

Him getting only that move-phase chance to pass was a surprise to me.

Good race!  I learned a lot from it... like that high accel wasn't nearly as useful as I thought it'd be.  Too bad I didn't save my money!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 73