Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 963135 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The original Dark Mechanicus was corrupted by scrapcode from the vaults of Mars, which presumably originated from mankind's early forays into warp related technology. They believed that the Emperor wasn't the Omissiah, that the loyalist Mechanicus were heretics because of their religous/political views, which included atheism and orthodoxy and which had been a point of conflict prior to the Heresy. How they actually perceived chaos I don't know, I haven't read enough of the Horus Heresy novels to know if they come up again so far.

Later incarnations which arose independently had different views depending on how they came to venerate chaos. Some view chaos as the Machine God, some view chaos as a separate entity worthy of worship, some no longer believe in the Machine God, a small number are essentially atheists/agnostics (Siege of Castellax has one such character). One cult believed a daemonically possessed golden age of technology titan (the original titan construct if you believe what it claimed) was the Machine God.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile

I think that the Dark Mechanicus are too cuckoo for cocoa puffs to care about what they are worshipping as long as it gets them whatever they need for their particular brand of mad science.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's worth remembering that Dark Mechanicus refers to thousands of separate cults and organisations rather than a single monolithic ideology. The first one was near completely wiped out during the Heresy, but enough of it's records survived on Forge Worlds that several new versions sprang up over the years, bolstered by hereteks who came to chaos completely independently and those who chose to use xeno-tech and were driven out by the Orthodox Mechanicus.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Lots of Dark Mechanicus tech integrates daemons into it to allow it to do impossible things. Obviously, the Imperium would frown on such a practice. I think in Dark Mechanicus the World-Eater virus got modified with the power of the warp to be able to jump from people to computer systems and back at will.

The Chaos Gods also have a lot of knowledge, which perhaps they would bestow upon those they considered worthy. Khorne, as a god of war, probably knows how to make every gun that could ever exist.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

The guiding ethos of the Dark Mechanicus is "no rules." The Adeptus Mechanicus is so hidebound, nothing new can be created or sometimes even understood. So some DM still talk about a Machine God, while others have pretty much dismissed the concept altogether. In a way, the Dark Mechanicus are the purest "scientists" of the 40k universe, because their understanding of science and the laws of reality aren't wrapped up in ideology or theology.

I sort of compare the DM of 40k to scientists of the earlier half of the 20th century. They're driven by the pursuit of knowledge but are constrained by no system of ethics. So nothing is off the table.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The Adeptus Mechanicus is so hidebound, nothing new can be created or sometimes even understood.
They create new stuff they just won't share any of the damn stuff. Selfish gits don't want the fleshplebs and their unwashed cogs to get their hands on shiny admech tech.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Adeptus Mechanicus is so hidebound, nothing new can be created or sometimes even understood.
They create new stuff they just won't share any of the damn stuff. Selfish gits don't want the fleshplebs and their unwashed cogs to get their hands on shiny admech tech.

They rarely create new things, and what they do create is almost always inferior to older tech. For ships at least, the trope is that the newer it is, the worse it is.

I'm not flat out disagreeing with you, but, what are some examples of new things the Mechanicus has made, that actually leave a mark on the universe? Because I typically think anything new coming out of the Mechanicus is actually made by Jokaero locked up in some prison-forge world somewhere, when one manages to retain their creative spark in captivity.

But yeah. Mechanicus are the smuggest bastards in the entire universe.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:17:53 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

The best description of the Dark Mechanicus remains: "Where they're going they won't need science."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

It doesn't make a terrible amount of sense why the Dark Mech does this, but then again it doesn't make sense why someone would worship Khorne in the first place.

Personally I can kinda understand the appeal. Living life by BFTBGSFTST must be so blissfully simple.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of all the Chaos lifestyle choices, Khorne is the one I suppose I have the least issue with. Being manipulated and mutated sounds kinda crappy, getting diseased and gross sounds very crappy, and while having non-stop sex sounds great, just about everything else with Slaneesh sounds terrible and/or way too kinky.

By comparison, just killing everything and raging out sounds pretty tame by comparison, especially in the context of 40k. I could probably deal with being gore-spattered for the rest of my probably short and brutal life.

When you get down to it, Khorne is the most indifferent god of the big four. You're all just meat and bone to him. That's somewhat? comforting, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:15:52 pm by nenjin »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Papa Nurgle loves you though.

He loves everyone.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

I could probably deal with being gore-spattered for the rest of my probably short and brutal life.

DAY 146.
WE KILLED SOME GREENSKINS TODAY. I AM STILL ALIVE.
WE RAN OUT OF GREENSKINS TO KILL SO WE WENT BACK TO THE BATTLE BARGE WHERE I KILLLED SOME OF MY BROTHERS. I AM STILL ALIVE. WE ARE FIGHTING SPACE MARINES TOMORROE.

DAY 147
WE KILLED SOME SPACE MARINES TODAY. I AM STILL ALIVE.
THEY MOVED VERY QUICK AND WERE HARD TO CATCH AND HACK AND RIP AND TEAR AND BLOOD FOUNTAIN CHOP DOWN EVERYTHING RRRAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHH

DAY 147
I LOST AN ARM TODAY. I AM STILL ALIVE.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

I could probably deal with being gore-spattered for the rest of my probably short and brutal life.

DAY 146.
WE KILLED SOME GREENSKINS TODAY. I AM STILL ALIVE.
WE RAN OUT OF GREENSKINS TO KILL SO WE WENT BACK TO THE BATTLE BARGE WHERE I KILLLED SOME OF MY BROTHERS. I AM STILL ALIVE. WE ARE FIGHTING SPACE MARINES TOMORROE.

DAY 147
WE KILLED SOME SPACE MARINES TODAY. I AM STILL ALIVE.
THEY MOVED VERY QUICK AND WERE HARD TO CATCH AND HACK AND RIP AND TEAR AND BLOOD FOUNTAIN CHOP DOWN EVERYTHING RRRAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHH

DAY 147
I LOST AN ARM TODAY. I AM STILL ALIVE.

"Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior, The Blood God?"
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

They create new stuff they just won't share any of the damn stuff.

It was always my impression that they were purely a cargo cult.

and while having non-stop sex sounds great, just about everything else with Slaneesh sounds terrible and/or way too kinky.

What about music and drugs?

If I remember right, there's a hint of Chaos hating the Emperor simply because he stole some power from them a long ass time ago. And that's part of why he's so powerful.

On a related note, my theory is that he's somehow affiliated with Malal, whether he intends to be or not

On a different note, why did the Eldar never create any Emperor-esque figures? Hell, they've been around a fuckton longer than humans, and they have metric shittons of souls lying around by this point to do it with. Far more powerful psychically than humans.If the Emperor was the result of a mere few hundred human druids, shamans, and psykers, shouldn't an entire Craftworld basically become able to punt Chaos Gods like Gretchins?

What about Ynnead and Slannesh
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:21:16 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 824