Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964341 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2025 on: November 07, 2015, 03:25:18 pm »

From what I can tell, in the 40k verse, there are approximately 0 sentient, sapient races capable of forming sustainable long-term governments/societies without everything falling to shit, if they lack some sort of strong/magical authority figure. At least, on a large scale, I think.

Though maybe that's just cuz' eventually no matter what something is bound to go wrong.

War in Heaven/Necrontyr, Slaanesh's birth/Fall of Eldar Empire, Humans/Mankind in general, the Men of Iron and the Age of Strife in particular (though I cannot quite remember whether it was the Dark Age of Technology or the Age of Strife that was kicked off by the massive warp storms and whatnot), Orks in general, Orks in specific, the Mon'tau, moot point for 'Nids...
Except humanity. There are numerous examples from Great Crusade such as:
Conservation - alliance of anti-Terran Human civilizations that somehow survived the Age Of Strife and were wiped out by Emprah himself to give an example.
Interex - HIGHLY advanced society that used power armour even more advanced than Space Marine one, used some kind of crossbow-like weapon which fired bolts of lighting piercing turning tanks inside out with ease, etc. They were devoted to fighting Chaos and would become total bros with Imperium but then Erebus exploded shit and they thought Horus and his Luna Wolves were tainted by Chaos (at the time, they were wrong) so they got wiped out when rest of Crusade arrived.
Diasporex - nomadic civilization consisting of humans and aliens, had Democracy and were pretty advanced in terms of spaceships and stuff. Fucked over by Imperium because they didin't want to leave their alien allies. Famous last words - "We only wished to be left alone".
Olamic Quietude - Cyborgs, kind of like hivemind except with total democracy, their main fighting force was nearly complete cyborgs called Super Robusts (SIC!).
Auretian Technocracy - had at least one working STC, after 10 months of fighting with Imperium they got Exterminatus'd.
47-16 - similar story to Interex, except that they actually worshipped the Emperor despite never being part of Imperium but then of course Lorgar exterminatus'd them. The 47-16 is just a designation, we have no idea what was their name before the destruction.
Sixty-Three-Nineteen - planet orbiting an yellow sun, it's people claimed to be the true Earth, after encounter with Imperium some guy who claimed to be the true "Emperor" also popped up but that's a different story.
There was also Sarosh and Gordian League but I don't have much idea what was it other than that Dark Angels were busy killing them when Isstvan III happened, also I'm not even mentioning the whole Imperium Secundus bullshit because Guillman and rest of Loyalist Primarchs backpedalled out of it.
From more modern ones there was Adrantis Five, hyper-fucking-advanced, even Lord Commander Solar Macharius had to finally Exterminatus their capital planet with redirected comet and was bitterly resentful that so much knowledge was lost. Macharian Crusade also conquered Elaric Combine, heretic Hectacore, space-jihadists Krull,  and Hegemony of Iskander. Araneus Continuity was a bunch of planets subjugated by Imperial Fists and their capital planet, Araneus, would later become Necromunda. There is also Severan Dominate which split off the Imperium and holds all possible enemies at bay while being fucking stylish because they're fucking Romans even more than Imperium.

ALSO HOLY SHIT NEW IF THE EMPEROR HAD A TEXT-TO-SPEECH DEVICE!
HOOOOLLLYYYY SHITTTT, THE GOLDEN THRONE IS CLOGGEEEEED!
EDIT:
HOLLY SHIT IT'S PRETTY RELEVANT TO WHAT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT BEFORE, IT SEEMS
EDIT2:
HOHAHAHAHAHOHEHOHAHAHAOHEHOHAHAHAHOHAHAHAHAHOHEHOHAHAHAOHEHOHAHAHAHOHAHAHAHAHOHEHOHAHAHAOHEHOHAHAHAHOHAHAHAHAHOHEHOHAHA
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:47:27 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: November 07, 2015, 03:46:41 pm »

Magnificent
EDIT: the new If The Emperor Had A Text-To-Speech Device episode.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 05:24:32 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: November 07, 2015, 04:37:23 pm »

So...what you're saying is that every single one of those places died? (I mean, besides the part where I said large-scale, which in 40k terms means multiple planets)

Point stands. :P

I mean, if we're just talking short term or small scale, I could bring most of the allies the Tau have, and probably any number of other minor Xenos, for whom 'things going to shit' meant 'The Imperium showed up'.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: November 07, 2015, 04:50:09 pm »

So...what you're saying is that every single one of those places died? (I mean, besides the part where I said large-scale, which in 40k terms means multiple planets)

Point stands. :P

I mean, if we're just talking short term or small scale, I could bring most of the allies the Tau have, and probably any number of other minor Xenos, for whom 'things going to shit' meant 'The Imperium showed up'.

Pretty much all the factions that died in 40k were killed by outside forces while weakened, with the exception of the Eldar empire which danced itself to death while listening to the music of the apocalypse, pretty much every human civilization on earth perished under similar circumstances (or shifted from one regime to another after being conquered). Absent other factions interfering or Warp dickery civilizations seem to last until they stagnate and degrade.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2029 on: November 07, 2015, 05:23:40 pm »

Most of those places had at least those multiple planets and most of those I mentioned died out simply thanks to Imperium swallowing them due to it being much more powerful. Those places survived whole Age Of Strife and everything until it popped up which is fucking something. Also, some of them still exist so...
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: November 07, 2015, 05:30:42 pm »

His novelizations of the Dawn of War games had Sindri Myr as a Khornate Sorcerer

Slight nitpick, but Sindri was a Khornate Sorcerer. He even invokes the common Khornate prayer "Blood for the Blood God" at one point.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: November 07, 2015, 05:32:05 pm »

It's about Khorne's hatred of sorcery, though there are ways around that, mainly by worshiping a particular aspect of Khorne or not being a cowardly Tzeenchian.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: November 07, 2015, 05:33:09 pm »

Figured I'd post this here, since some people may be interested. Pics of my freshly painted Skarbrand.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

His novelizations of the Dawn of War games had Sindri Myr as a Khornate Sorcerer

Slight nitpick, but Sindri was a Khornate Sorcerer. He even invokes the common Khornate prayer "Blood for the Blood God" at one point.

Servants of Chaos Undivided, like the Word Bearer's, also use that phrase.

Khorne's fluff is that he hates psykers above and beyond all other beings save Slaanesh, as he sees their use of magic as cowardly. His Flesh Hounds exist more or less entirely to hunt and kill psykers.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: November 07, 2015, 05:34:41 pm »

It should be noted that he hates sorcerers specifically, not psykers. There are differences, for example, you can learn and do sorcery without even being a psyker, though it certainly helps.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: November 07, 2015, 05:38:11 pm »

It should be noted that he hates sorcerers specifically, not psykers. There are differences, for example, you can learn and do sorcery without even being a psyker, though it certainly helps.

Khorne's fluff uses the terms psyker and sorcerer interchangeably.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: November 08, 2015, 02:34:53 am »

That Skarbrand is damn good looking. Well done.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: November 08, 2015, 03:01:19 am »

Very nice work. We should start a "show off your army" tangent. It'd give me an excuse to dust mine off.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: November 08, 2015, 04:15:14 am »

Well, I recently got bored of doing Imperial Guard (Again, again.)
So I've turned back to doing my Tzeentchian Dark Mechanicus Daemon-Marines army.

So I guess here's a WIP on a few conversions.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2038 on: November 08, 2015, 05:10:34 am »

That's some nice detail work there Grim Portent!

Those look good too, Tack. Help an inveterate lore-plebeian out here - how cose to finished are those?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2039 on: November 08, 2015, 05:31:46 am »

These models nourish my soul
Now I understand how Dwarves appreciate craftsdwarfship
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 824