Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964279 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2475 on: January 10, 2016, 12:45:55 pm »

Lord of War
I disapprove of your life choices.

Are you disapproving of the use of Lords of War in general or the use of one in a 750 point list?
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: January 10, 2016, 01:00:48 pm »

IMHO I dislike both a disease and its symptoms.

But my role as naysaying conservative coot is well known.
So I judge, but at least I can hold doubt that I'm not judging in part because of my unwillingness to accept change.

Nope. Can't do it. Superheavy is fun in apoc. In 40k standard it's a big fish in a small pond and changing rules in minutiae is just pouring more water on.
More water doesn't solve the irreparable harm to the meta.
I say "harm" because of the aforementioned 750pt list.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 01:07:00 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: January 10, 2016, 01:10:46 pm »

IMHO I dislike both a disease and its symptoms.

But my role as naysaying conservative coot is well known.
So I judge, but at least I can hold doubt that I'm not judging in part because of my unwillingness to accept change.

Nope. Can't do it. Superheavy is fun in apoc. In 40k standard it's a big fish in a small pond and changing rules in minutiae is just pouring more water on.
More water doesn't solve the irreparable harm to the meta.
I say "harm" because of the aforementioned 750pt list.
I was joking. I'm not going to put a defensive artillery piece with guns designed to kill Titans in a 750 point list. I don't even play T'au. I haven't played tabletop since 5th edition, but I read up on it sometimes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: January 10, 2016, 01:28:32 pm »

In my experience, guns designed to kill Titans are alarmingly good at killing non-titans.

Your writing seems to imply that the list would be stupid. If you'd like, you could run a well-balanced 5th edition 750pt army, and I'll bring the defensive artillery piece and we'll see what Crazy Shenanigans transpire.

Sorry to have shot down your joke. Must be a case of Poe's list.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2479 on: January 10, 2016, 01:45:07 pm »

While I'm not really good at crunch since I don't really play, from what I know the problem of hueg and powerful units in low point battles is that they can be easily took down by something 1/10th their cost simply because they lack sufficent support and meat shielding.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: January 10, 2016, 02:26:36 pm »

I'm personally a fan of super-heavies, but in my experience the super-heavy vehicles are very fragile compared to gargantuan creatures.

EDIT: I'm actually quite a fan of 7th edition over all, the problems with it seem far lesser than the ones that older gamers have told me of from 4th edition and earlier (I started in 5th). The only real problems I have are related to assault rules and some of the psychic powers.

Assault rules wise I'd like to see the role of assault grenades inverted, rather than allowing units to charge through cover with no initiative penalty I'd have them knock the defending unit to initiative 1 as they're recovering from the grenade blast when they get charged, while charging through cover would have no effect on the assaulters other than reducing their charge range. I'd probably also have assault grenades prevent overwatch.

Psychic power wise I'd like to see a more consistent level of power between them. As is telepathy, malefic and divination are all incredibly potent while telekinesis and pyromancy are basically useless. I'd prefer the weaker ones to be lifted up to the same level as divination, though malefic and telepathy (invisibility specifically) could do with some nerfing.

Obviously some codices need updated and given formation/special detachments and so on as well to match stronger 7th codices, but that's not a problem with 7th as much as it is with codex writing.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 02:38:33 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: January 10, 2016, 04:18:49 pm »

Preventing overwatch is kinda ridiculous.

I mean, other than driving Tau through the basement floor since anything with assault grenades essentially auto-wins against Tau lists, but if anything it would need a Leadership test to see if those effects happen. It would make the meta almost entirely melee.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: January 10, 2016, 04:23:55 pm »

I mean, other than driving Tau through the basement floor since anything with assault grenades essentially auto-wins against Tau lists, but if anything it would need a Leadership test to see if those effects happen. It would make the meta almost entirely melee.

As is other than units that are basically immune to shooting like Thunderwolves the meta is almost entirely shooting. Assault armies are currently vastly weaker than ranged ones unless they're entirely composed of beasts, bikes and cavalry, and even then they're still weaker.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2483 on: January 10, 2016, 04:32:55 pm »

I am completly okay with that. In the grim darkness of the far future, there are only bayonet charges and no place for bunch of cowardly blue-skinned weaboos.

Glory to the first man to die!
FORWARD UNTO THE BREAAACH!!
FOR THE EMPEROR AND KRIEG!!!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: January 10, 2016, 04:45:32 pm »

In my experience, guns designed to kill Titans are alarmingly good at killing non-titans.

Your writing seems to imply that the list would be stupid. If you'd like, you could run a well-balanced 5th edition 750pt army, and I'll bring the defensive artillery piece and we'll see what Crazy Shenanigans transpire.

Problem is that I (against better judgement) got rid of my 40k army, there's no way to play 40k tabletop online, and I'm not willing to meet up with anyone.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: January 10, 2016, 04:51:33 pm »

Problem is that I (against better judgement) got rid of my 40k army, there's no way to play 40k tabletop online, and I'm not willing to meet up with anyone.

There is an online system called Vassal you can use to play online, but it's meant to be pretty clunky from what I'm told.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2486 on: January 10, 2016, 05:04:51 pm »

There is an online system called Vassal you can use to play online, but it's meant to be pretty clunky from what I'm told.
You still need rules and stuff, it's basically only a thing that lets you move provided images (quite nice sprites, though) across one-colour background and gives you all the tools from tabletop. Also lets your roll dice, not much else.
EDIT:

That's right.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:57:18 pm by Kot »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: January 10, 2016, 07:10:18 pm »

Vassel's maintenance is a little dubious, as its not exactly 'legal', and they were supposed to CaD back in 5th.  Its mostly up to date with 7th, but I'm not sure very many people are using it.  Then again, I haven't checked recently.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: January 10, 2016, 07:13:39 pm »

Its sorts of a table top simulator. You input the rules and the units are simple sprites. It's pretty basic and personally the only way I have played TT ever. Also up until now the only way I had to play BFG. I'm eagerly awaiting for the game in development.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: January 10, 2016, 09:41:38 pm »

As is other than units that are basically immune to shooting like Thunderwolves the meta is almost entirely shooting. Assault armies are currently vastly weaker than ranged ones unless they're entirely composed of beasts, bikes and cavalry, and even then they're still weaker.
Part of me wants to say 'as is proper for sci fi', the other part wants to say 'not enough things get assault grenades to allow variety', and the last wants to say 'there's better ways to fix that than buffing assault grenades into absurdity'.

I'd say best way is to nerf shooting a bit, though I wasn't around for previous editions, so I'm not entirely sure how the perfect way to strike a balance would be.

KHORNE WELCOMES YOUR SKULLS, IMPERIAL SCUM
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 824