Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964420 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2520 on: January 16, 2016, 04:16:41 am »

Unrelated: what's the Imperium's views on cloning? I know its possible, given that Fabius Bile does it and most servitors are vat-grown. With enough materials, on say a Forge World, they could field an entire regiment of cloned conscripts. (Or at least use cloning to get understrength regiments back up.)
Death Korps. They supply over fifty million guardsmen per year. There are estimates that US can have ~70 million people to fight, so it doesn't seem that big number, but consider that Krieg is basically grimdark Fallout world and that they just keep churning out more regiments without any signs of stopping, hell, they might even be getting faster, for all we know.
While it's never really clarified what "Vitae Wombs" are... well, there are theories. The most fucked up is that they're basically using women as cloning vats just like the damn Daemonculaba, or that they're just speeding the aging process in regular born children, or maybe it's truly just cloning... or they, due to some less-sick-fuckery cut the actual wombs out of women, throw a lot of metal on it and then the women go through training and into meat-grinder just like males, since it would be actually hard to distinguish between gender on the battlefield, because, well, gas masks.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: January 16, 2016, 05:21:13 am »

^^ Sweet, thanks guys!

I'm thinking of a making a big bad: a genestealer (the more human-looking ones) infiltrates the Tech-Priest clergy on a forge world, and through tech-heresy makes a continent-wide facility to mass-clone his kin and ship them all across the Imperium.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: January 16, 2016, 07:12:51 am »

I'd recommend Jeroen Tel's theme for Tin Tin on the Moon, or robocop.mp3

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I've played so much 2d spacemans that that is my first thought for thought for spacey music

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: January 16, 2016, 07:36:27 am »

So I'm taking the plunge on trying to run Rogue Trader for my friends.

I've got a problem though. I have zero good sci-fi space music. I've got, like, probably 70% of the 40k video game music ever made but most of that is suited for Space Marines. If anyone has some suggestions for good atmospheric space music I'd appreciate it. Anything from heroic and adventureous to weird and discordant would work for me.

80's movie soundtrack style synth heavy music? Blade Runner, some Terminator, Robocop etc. I'd probably dig up some of Vangelis' older stuff and go from there. At least that's what I'd go for "atmospheric sci-fi sans space marines".

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2524 on: January 16, 2016, 08:06:45 am »

This is a good list, albeit it's not what you want. Could have use when the Imperial Guard arrives to mop up the mess you guys made.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: January 16, 2016, 05:15:52 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I happened upon an ambient space music channel last night, and after about 6 hours of listening while writing I've got 40 or so tracks for general space background music. Still searching for more. Despite not really playing much of the game, I've found the Mass Effect soundtracks close to what I want. 80s action movie music is good but for two problems: one anything that sets a quick beat pretty much gets parsed as combat music by players and two a couple of my friends are big into synthwave as I am, so it tends to stick out like a sore thumb in the wrong setting. I've got a little bit of that for Space Combat as well.

Still need a better selection of warp travel music. While not hard to find appropriate tracks, ones that don't end up annoying the shit out of you with feedback, high pitched whines or bizarre and poorly inserted sound effects are not. I've tried Halloween spooky tracks for other gaming and eventually I tend to find them too cheesy or overt in what they do.

I'm also trying to stay away from movie soundtracks. Primarily because movie themes and songs tend to be a) really short b) quickly recognizable by some c) follow the same music format (gotta have that rising, swelling epic bit 3/4 of the way through) d) aren't so much as about ambiance as they are trying to evoke a mood. That's why I usually use video game music for table top background music. Like video games table top games need something that flavorful and thematic without being obtrusive. Video game tracks tend, though not always, to run longer and have less Hollywood like movements within the song itself. (Not strictly true, your AAA blockbuster games write their main themes and such exactly like movies do.)

Anyways, the search continues. I won't be running for a minimum of a 3 weeks or so. But do keep game and music suggestions coming. I think I'll go see what the EVE soundtrack is like.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 05:18:26 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: January 16, 2016, 06:00:18 pm »

Could try Doom. Pretty 40K-ish, and some pretty good ambient-type stuff, despite the game's reputation for being mostly about shooting things.
I also like the geoscape theme from the original X-Com: UFO Defence.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2527 on: January 16, 2016, 06:13:08 pm »

I know you mentioned you got almost all of the Wh40k game soundtracks, but I would still suggest the Final Liberation, since, well, apparently only two people in the world played it. Commissar Holt would certainly approve. And as always, Galaxy Aflame. They vary a lot in atmosphere, but I guess some of the obviously Chaos-named ones could serve as Warp music, even if the vocals may throw people off a lot as those are not really soundtracks.

Also the bloody Ordo Malleus. I wish I had better bass in my headphones so I could finally lose my hearing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: January 16, 2016, 06:25:17 pm »

Sorry, just can't do vocals. It's too distracting. I've become fairly picky over the years with music in gaming. Especially as the rise of operatic styles has just seemed to become more common, or the vaguely Muslim-esqe wailing (don't get me wrong, I like a lot of that it just takes people out of gaming in an instant.) But I'll give a listen to those and see if I can pick something out.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: January 17, 2016, 04:27:38 am »

Emperor is constantly mentioned as source of cool quotes to carve on bolter rounds, but there are just like 4 quotations of him :(

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: January 17, 2016, 04:53:43 am »

Emperor is constantly mentioned as source of cool quotes to carve on bolter rounds, but there are just like 4 quotations of him :(

You could quote actual Latin quotes and change it to be 40k. Like Imperator Vult (The Emperor Wills It), or you could go with black comedy and carve Causa Mortis, which means Cause of Death, onto the weapon. ((I don't speak Latin, so for all I know those could be inaccurate.))

((Also, why bother carving onto the bolt round when they explode?))
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2531 on: January 17, 2016, 05:23:17 am »

It's kind of like how people say they have your name on a bullet. Though, in Wh40k, due to warp shenanigans, some cool Emperor quotes or other religious bullshit can actually cause the weapon to be more useful against deamons and whatnot. Also, purity seals. Purity seals everywhere.

EDIT:
And there is much more quotes from the Emperor, you just need to check some of the books where he appears.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: January 17, 2016, 05:31:05 am »

^^ True. Just got a great idea for a pet-project too: toilet paper purity seals! Just need to get it the right color and manage to write on it without tearing it....
Dying of laughter?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: January 17, 2016, 08:09:29 am »

To be fair, High Gothic probably isn't always correct Latin.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: January 17, 2016, 08:14:28 am »

To be fair, High Gothic probably isn't always correct Latin.

To be doubly fair, it isn't even real Latin :P (Gothic is such a fitting name for a 40K language, too...)

EDIT: Causa mortis isn't actually cause of death, I think. Causa mortis is actually a legal term for a deathbed gift.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:16:20 am by Cheesecake »
Dying of laughter?
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 824