Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 963141 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2610 on: January 19, 2016, 04:09:49 pm »

He's the "Great" Horned Rat now that Slaanesh is dead/recuperating.
no

daddy sigmar's wild ride isn't real
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: January 19, 2016, 04:13:57 pm »

There's a difference between a mutant and an abhuman. Abhumans are a stable breeding sub-species of humanity. A mutant is a creature with a genetic mutation that makes it differ noticeably from the majority of the species.
One is a difference of sub-species and the other is a difference within sub-species. If the former were heretical, then that would mean Homo Neanderthalis is also heretical and thus everyone would be descended from heretics, so it gets a kind of pass. The latter, however, is unnatural, irregular, and unclean, therefore heretical.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: January 19, 2016, 04:29:17 pm »

The Imperial view on mutation and deformity in general is based on the way people in medieval Europe viewed them, like a lot of things in 40k.

Being born with deformities is a sign of disfavor from the Emperor, indicating a spirit that is already corrupt at birth, gaining a mutation later in life indicates a truly tainted soul inviting damnation. Penitent mutants who hate themselves for what they are often work to death in factories or subject themselves to horrible public displays of penitence that usually kill them by way of atoning for their corruption. Most Imperial Mutants just scrape a living out of sight of the normal citizens in the worlds where they're common, such as Hive Worlds and Forge Worlds.

In some places any significant mutation is a death sentence, Cadia for example is very strict due to it's proximity to the Eye of Terror, in others it's just a reason to be removed from the roster of citizens and given no legal rights, on Tranch for example they were used as slave labour and ultimately tried to rebel, the mutants native to void ships are also often enslaved by the ship captains to serve as crew in the gun decks.

Abhumans are basically just discriminated against minorities that have to abide by a number of special rules to be allowed to live outside their homeworlds but are otherwise tolerated and possess all the rights of any Imperial citizen. Beastmen are something of an exception since they so closely resemble chaos mutants that most people can't tell the difference. Outside their homeworlds they face the same fates as mutants do despite being entitled to the same protections as Ogryn, Squats and Ratlings.

Amusingly even the forces of Chaos look down on most mutant humans since they cannot provide viable children for creating space marines, making them much more disposable than non-mutated humans to warbands. Doesn't help that most mutants are actually pathetic mewling things rather than terrifying combat beasts.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: January 19, 2016, 04:31:40 pm »

Why kill purple androgynous embodiment of /tg?

He/she/it's not dead, just stuck in a box on an Aelf's shelf.

Personally I suspect that GW shoved him/her/it out of the way in AoS because they wanted to do more with the Horned Rat (Skaven were/are a popular faction) but wanted to stick with there only being four major chaos gods and Slaanesh was both the least popular and the least suited to the AoS aesthetic.

GW probably didn't want bright pink chaos warriors anymore
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2614 on: January 19, 2016, 04:36:29 pm »

Doesn't help that most mutants are actually pathetic mewling things rather than terrifying combat beasts.
That reminds me...
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: January 19, 2016, 04:38:53 pm »

Weren't Navigators just a stop-gap until Big E got the Imperial Webway online anyway?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: January 19, 2016, 04:39:29 pm »

There's a difference between a mutant and an abhuman. Abhumans are a stable breeding sub-species of humanity. A mutant is a creature with a genetic mutation that makes it differ noticeably from the majority of the species.
One is a difference of sub-species and the other is a difference within sub-species. If the former were heretical, then that would mean Homo Neanderthalis is also heretical and thus everyone would be descended from heretics, so it gets a kind of pass. The latter, however, is unnatural, irregular, and unclean, therefore heretical.
argh modern humans aren't descended from neanderthals praise science

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2617 on: January 19, 2016, 04:41:05 pm »

Weren't Navigators just a stop-gap until Big E got the Imperial Webway online anyway?
Pretty much.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: January 19, 2016, 04:49:01 pm »

Doesn't help that most mutants are actually pathetic mewling things rather than terrifying combat beasts.
That reminds me...

Euuugh.  :P

On that note given the general aesthetic GW has in AoS being very 80s inspired I wouldn't be surprised if the felinids were intended to be like the characters from Thundercats. The 7th ed rulebook and AoS should have been getting developed around the same time after all.

Not exactly, they were made by the pre-Emperor human civilisation to facilitate safer warp travel but only got finished shortly before the Long Night finished off that era of humanity. The Navigators presumably survived in their own enclave during the reunification wars and ultimately allied with the Emperor when he began the Great Crusade, taking the chance to negotiate a place in the council of Terra in exchange for their service.

The Emperor intended to replace them with the Webway once it was possible, and also intended to replace various other problematic parts of the Imperium after the Crusade. The Mechanicus for example was destined for the chopping block but were too vital to the Crusade to destroyed early on.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: January 19, 2016, 04:51:36 pm »

There's actualy some evidence that suggests that interbreeding may have happened at one point, though, but thats a whole different story.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 04:54:01 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: January 19, 2016, 04:54:45 pm »

There's actualy some evidence that suggests that interbreeding may have happened at one point, though, but thats a whole different story.

1-4% of Eurasian genome is Neanderthol derived.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: January 19, 2016, 05:51:46 pm »

I thought Sapiens and Neanderthal were diverged species.

Regardless, mutants are bad, abhumans are also bad but kinda K'.

Also gotta wonder if Emps had all of the supplementary organs his kids do.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: January 19, 2016, 05:52:29 pm »

He didn't need them.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: January 19, 2016, 05:52:55 pm »

He didn't have organs, just additional, tiny Emperors inside his body cavity.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: January 19, 2016, 05:56:08 pm »

And what's wrong with Ratlings? After all, they're just thieving little bastards who eat everything and are constantly trying to have disgusting 4-foot tall orgies.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 824