Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964484 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3285 on: March 03, 2016, 10:23:54 am »

A band of Men Of Iron that somehow survived? Possibly all bodies controlled by single mainframe or something.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: March 03, 2016, 10:33:17 am »

A band of Men Of Iron that somehow survived? Possibly all bodies controlled by single mainframe or something.
Or some scarabs that somewhat got permanently out of link with a tomb lord or something like that.

Thing of the Von Neumann probes is while they share the same programming they are non really controlled by a central point, each one is independent. Really building such machines is just a recipe for disaster.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: March 03, 2016, 11:14:53 am »

Just one question: how was it alive 100k years ago? Humans were still cavemen back in those days.

At least in my understanding, Humanity has been around for much longer than 40,000 years. It's just that's where the Imperium's memory starts. There are uncounted expanses of time before that which represent the Age of Strife, Old Night and the Dark Age of Technology. The AI and its creators hail from that time.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: March 03, 2016, 11:51:48 am »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: March 03, 2016, 11:58:40 am »

Just one question: how was it alive 100k years ago? Humans were still cavemen back in those days.

At least in my understanding, Humanity has been around for much longer than 40,000 years. It's just that's where the Imperium's memory starts. There are uncounted expanses of time before that which represent the Age of Strife, Old Night and the Dark Age of Technology. The AI and its creators hail from that time.

I think it's stated that the start of the timeline is roughly when mankind first left Earth, which would place it either in the 20th century or sometime in the next few hundred years.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3290 on: March 03, 2016, 12:26:36 pm »

Actually... no...
For some reason (proably simplicity) Imperial dating system is based on our own, which means that Wh40k dates are the same as you would write them in our system, they just call it fancier. Warhammer 40,000 takes place literally in 40,000 AD, not 42,000 AD or anything... and I don't exactly recall humanity making AIs 62,000 years ago, but hey, what do I know. As for the rest of the events - have a timeline.

Also, NECRON LORD DLC FOR DOW 2 RETRIBUTION COMING UP 10 OF MARCH, WOT.

ALSO ALSO, SOON! GET HYPED! FOR THE EMPEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:29:30 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: March 03, 2016, 01:34:11 pm »

It was a relatively arbitrary number I threw out, mostly because I was having problems with the Imperial dating system myself.

I notice the only citation on that article is "WH40k 3rd Edition Core Rulebook." Since everything after 2nd ed. is technically heresy in my book, I'm going to willfully ignore the stated timeline.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: March 03, 2016, 03:27:07 pm »

Yup, 40k actually "happens" in 38.000 years from now.

However you can still factor in aliens, maybe is an alien city with alien AI instead of a human one. OR perhaps the human colonists discovered an already abandoned city with the AI in it and just adapted to their own use? There's still some way you can take advantage of that randomly thrown number. That or you can rectify and state the AI is between 20k and 10k years old.

Von Neumann probes
triggered
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:29:13 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: March 03, 2016, 03:44:47 pm »

I haven't given the players a specific date/age of the city, nor its inhabitants, and I've pretty definitely told them its a pre-Imperial human world.

So I can just invent a less preposterous date. Thanks for setting me straight.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: March 03, 2016, 05:02:06 pm »

Von Neumann probes
triggered

Ever since I played Sword of the Stars I loathe the mention of Von Neumann spacecraft.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3295 on: March 03, 2016, 05:15:21 pm »

GUYS! NEW TTS!
Wait... WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD EMPEROR IS THIS LOYALTY?
TWO NEW TTS!!!

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: March 03, 2016, 05:31:16 pm »

So virus bombs are not used because it makes nurgle stronger?
Is not murdering heretics making khorne stronger ( all chapters with Sanguinius as primarch fill him with joy, i suppose) . And comfortable chairs and tasty food empowering slaanesh?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3297 on: March 03, 2016, 05:50:38 pm »

No, the Viral Bombs are used, killing heretics does happen and comfortable chairs and comfy food apparently do exist somehow, and while THEORETICALLY, yes, that would empower the respective Chaos Gods, it doesn't seem that way, or Imperium just doesn't care. They really aren't big on Bioweapons anymore since mass destruction weaponry was the Legion Destroyer Squads part and, them being the bad boys even before the Heresy happened, most of them fell to Chaos one way or another, taking the weapons with them.
Imperium still uses weapons like that but they're now mostly certain Imperial Guard regiments toys (Salvar Chem Dogs, Death Korps of Krieg and so on, basically the guys with gasmasks) and Inqusition Exterminatus-grade weapons that wreck entire worlds, because anything less powerful would proably not get the wanted effect. After all, Space Marine armour is completly sealed and not everything works on Eldar and Tau run around in suits that might be protected against those threats, Orks are naturally resilient and whatnot.

EDIT:
Also Holy God Emperor, the TTS story thickens so fast that Slannesh itself is pleased.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:02:12 pm by Kot »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: March 03, 2016, 06:15:03 pm »

Well in Dark Heresy if you turn up to a ritual of Khorne, best SoP is to prioritize stopping the ritual before killing the heretics.
'Cos killing the heretics would probably just complete it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: March 03, 2016, 06:42:42 pm »

Tau run around in suits that might be protected against those threats
Nanocrystalline mesh armor; marginally better than cardboard.
 -Earth Caste development team slogan
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 824