Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964187 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3345 on: March 06, 2016, 03:13:00 pm »

I find it unfair I can't just use orbital bombardment on the enemy army without deploying any troops myself.
Perhaps it requires someone to 'Paint' the target
I find it unfair I can't just EXTERMINATUS the enemy army without deploying any troops myself.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: March 06, 2016, 04:54:41 pm »

The great conceit of 40k is that anyone actually bothers to land troops on a planet.

It's like Star Trek and the ubiquitous "sorry sir, there's too much interference for our scanners to pick anything up. We're going to have to go down there" plot hook.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: March 06, 2016, 05:10:56 pm »

The great conceit of 40k is that anyone actually bothers to land troops on a planet.

It's like Star Trek and the ubiquitous "sorry sir, there's too much interference for our scanners to pick anything up. We're going to have to go down there" plot hook.

Good luck retaking your hive city in a usable state if you don't want to land, Imperial guard.
Good luck having a fight, Orks, if you never land.
Good luck taking slaves with your space cannons, dark Eldar.
Good luck completing your secret mission using your Pulsar Lances, Eldar.
Good luck eating vacuum, Tyranids.
Etc, etc.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: March 06, 2016, 11:46:41 pm »

Yeah, that's always what bothers me about sci fi wars where no one ever lands troops.

We have nuclear weapons nowadays, and orbital bombardment. For those who don't have those capabilities, we could quite easily say 'Give up or we nuke you'. Maybe it works, maybe they refuse anyway, or we're talking to fanatics, and so on. If it works, alright, whatever, your country is now seen as a dick but you have nukes so who cares, right? I mean, so do those other countries but whatever, we'll just out-nuke them.

But if they don't? Well, you're left with a choice.
Follow through, or back out. You follow through, you've probably lost whatever you were hoping to gain by having that area/those people under your jurisdiction. Exceptions might be if you do a bomb drop here or there and see how long until their imminent deaths get through to their brains and they give up. But you don't need nukes to do that, and precision fire support from space is still a thing. Doing it to civilian centers on purpose? Well...rebuilding industrial centers is usually expensive, and having a very ill-contented people isn't that great an idea. Especially since guerillas are really hard to deal with, short of genocide. In 40k, equivalent of this is Orks, since you need Exterminatus or enough fire to satisfy a Canoness to 'permanently' get rid of them. Imperium's just lucky the populace isn't supporting the orks...

This post has been open for hours now and I've long lost my train of thought. *shrug*
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3349 on: March 07, 2016, 09:39:54 am »

Imperium's just lucky the populace isn't supporting the orks...
DIGGANOBZ!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: March 07, 2016, 11:46:00 am »

In before some Blood Axe Warboss figures out that humies make better and more weapons if you leave them to their own shit instead of enslaving them and takes over control over some very discontented Hive/Forge Worlds.

before anyone ever saying something about orks butchering humans all the time, Orks in 40k actually take slaves...sometimes...and i can't find the source but it was there in older editions although they might have retconned it out...which would piss me off.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: March 07, 2016, 12:09:44 pm »

In before some Blood Axe Warboss figures out that humies make better and more weapons if you leave them to their own shit instead of enslaving them and takes over control over some very discontented Hive/Forge Worlds.

before anyone ever saying something about orks butchering humans all the time, Orks in 40k actually take slaves...sometimes...and i can't find the source but it was there in older editions although they might have retconned it out...which would piss me off.
I'd read that book.

DIGGANOBZ!
And now we find out the true reason Orks are so dangerous.

Speaking of which
Also, if you think about it, it seems that it's the Tau that are least brainwashed by Ethereals (Shas'o Kais, Farsight, Commander Brightsword) use melee weapons, so there's that.
You've found our secret. We cannot allow you to live, knowing of our secret plot to hoard all of the facepunch in the galaxy for ourselves. QUICKLY, BROTHERS! USE THE ANCIENT TECHNIQUES!
*cue large group of flimsy ethereals jabbing at a Space Marine with pointy sticks*

Though...it would explain quite a bit, actually. Like why we can ally with Necrons and Eldar (still no IG though...I want my Gue'la auxiliaries...Railgun Leman Russ, why have you forsaken me?), the shootier armies, why we hold so much enmity with Space Marines now/again despite being sorta the two most reasonable factions (along with Eldar), and have declared Orks and Tyranids to be impossible to incorporate into the greater good.

Ethereal viewpoint is interesting. A little disappointing, but not surprising. How high ranking was/were he/they/she? I am/was writing a story as part of a fan-project from a low-ranking Ethereal's viewpoint, and it'd be interesting to know if I'm completely wrong, canonically, or if I can continue deluding myself that it's only past a certain level of experience that they hold the 'becoming a dick' ceremony.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3352 on: March 07, 2016, 12:42:38 pm »

only past a certain level of experience that they hold the 'becoming a dick' ceremony.
Nearly all Tau pass that ceremony, I belive it's called "birth". The lucky few are usually forgotten and they live their whole lifes with a feeling that there is something very wrong with everyone else, and they end up dying early or becoming actually awesome and rebelling against Ethereals.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: March 07, 2016, 12:53:31 pm »

only past a certain level of experience that they hold the 'becoming a dick' ceremony.
Nearly all Tau pass that ceremony, I belive it's called "birth". The lucky few are usually forgotten and they live their whole lifes with a feeling that there is something very wrong with everyone else, and they end up dying early or becoming actually awesome and rebelling against Ethereals.
Nope
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: March 07, 2016, 02:18:51 pm »

I find it unfair I can't just use orbital bombardment on the enemy army without deploying any troops myself.
Perhaps it requires someone to 'Paint' the target
I find it unfair I can't just EXTERMINATUS the enemy army without deploying any troops myself.
Slap a battle fleet gothic ship on the board, roll a few dice and then wipe the other team off the board with one hand while moving it forward with the other.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: March 07, 2016, 02:29:40 pm »

wh40k would be better if it was just a bunch of players shelling an empty board

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: March 07, 2016, 02:32:35 pm »

It'd probably be cheaper.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3357 on: March 07, 2016, 02:34:25 pm »

IIRC someone actually tried to make a spaceship in regular WH40k scale, it was just a Cobra, but even then it was ridiculously huge.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: March 07, 2016, 02:37:03 pm »

IIRC someone actually tried to make a spaceship in regular WH40k scale, it was just a Cobra, but even then it was ridiculously huge.
Link?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: March 07, 2016, 02:42:53 pm »

I just learned that the Cobra is 1.5 kilometers long searching for that, and even the largest ships 40k are only a dozen kilometers or so.  I thought they'd be bigger, since everyone insists that they're so incredibly huge.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 824