Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964238 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4155 on: May 10, 2016, 11:27:55 pm »

I realized a bit ago that Tau also fill another role in 40k loreverse. That of the Seductive Xeno.

Orks are the Pest Xeno, measures of desperation at best in terms of dealing with them, or dealt with by exceedingly stupid Governors, or certain Inquisitors.
Eldar are the Trickster Xeno, dealt with hesitantly by the daring, and never quite what they seem. Dark Eldar are just terrible all around, but it's hard to tell sometimes.
Necrons and Tyranids are just Death. Pure and unrelenting.

Tau are the Xeno that actually present a real difficulty in maintaining loyalty against. Everyone hates Orks, everyone hates Eldar, but Tau? Well, the Water Caste can be very convincing, you know...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: May 10, 2016, 11:53:37 pm »

Tyranids are unrelenting death, Necrons are the incomprehensible danger. Sometimes Necrons just ignore the Young Races altogether, sometimes they slaughter everyone for transgressions they don't know the nature of, sometimes they show up and kidnap specific people but don't bother the rest, they can't be killed permanently and will literally appear or vanish in the middle of entire wars, etc.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: May 11, 2016, 01:06:05 am »

Khorne's ok with sorcerers so long as they don't use their powers or only use them to dispel other sorcerers' spells. He's also ok with them summoning daemons, so long as they're Khornate daemons.

Using sorcery to dispel sorcery gives you a 4+ at best on your Deny the Witch roll.
Kharn, however, has a 2+..

Ergo, defensive sorcery: 0, Khorne's Divine Protection: 1.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: May 11, 2016, 04:46:04 am »

Tyranids are unrelenting death, Necrons are the incomprehensible danger. Sometimes Necrons just ignore the Young Races altogether, sometimes they slaughter everyone for transgressions they don't know the nature of, sometimes they show up and kidnap specific people but don't bother the rest, they can't be killed permanently and will literally appear or vanish in the middle of entire wars, etc.
What about blowing up whole necron tomb world?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: May 11, 2016, 04:48:29 am »

What?
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: May 11, 2016, 04:52:17 am »

What?

Chariot is referring to the permanent death of Necrons by destroying their tomb world, preventing them from recovering the any damage that their bodies can't mend on their own, ultimately killing them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: May 11, 2016, 05:29:21 am »

I personally would want to see a 'nids vs crons' full scale war, seeing as the populations of all the necron tombworlds are said to be unfathomable.

Of course, were that to happen it would mean that humanity and the eldar are cowering somewhere on the fringes of the galaxy, orks have almost no lifespan beyond the fungal stage and the eye of terror has had a big fat electric fence put up around it.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: May 11, 2016, 05:56:54 am »

The only way that's likely to happen is if the theory that the Tyranids are actually the fleshcrafted servants of a C'tan is accurate and the Necrons discover the truth.

With Oldcrons/Silent King manages to regain leadership or control, the scenario you describe probably happens.

With Newcrons they just lose, hard and go back to being slaves, because Newcrons suck and couldn't cooperate to save the universe, which is actually what's at stake in the event a full C'tan is free. Best case scenario the ones that control the Celestial Orrery stalemate by blowing up a lot of stars.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:58:58 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: May 11, 2016, 06:40:26 am »

Well Old-Old-crons were still the slaves of the C'tan, and there was no 'shard' stuff.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: May 11, 2016, 09:09:53 am »

But he's not refering to that but to the fact old necrons were truly relentless and united under the same goal. The unfathomable countless numbers of necrons were a single faction,  just that the vast majority wasn't awake just yet. Now they have their petty wars and all that crap.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: May 11, 2016, 11:00:53 am »

What is the relationship between Tyranids and the warp? I don't think GW has ever been super clear on it, and things like AGP have taken some liberties... but is the shadow over the warp actually a warp-based phenomenon?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: May 11, 2016, 11:09:31 am »

What is the relationship between Tyranids and the warp? I don't think GW has ever been super clear on it, and things like AGP have taken some liberties... but is the shadow over the warp actually a warp-based phenomenon?

It appears to be. Interferes with both psychic powers and daemonic manifestations, which indicates a warpy nature.

The idea seems to be that 'nids are powerful telepaths, and that the psychic link between them crowds and clogs the warp,
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: May 11, 2016, 11:48:01 am »

The shadow is just the same thing as the warp disruption produced by every other living thing, except with the Tyranids it's a uniform and vast force of hunger instead of the disrupted and chaotic flows of the normal warp. It isn't exactly the becalming effect pariahs cause, but it has similar consequences, everything warp-side ceases to function.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: May 11, 2016, 12:06:16 pm »

Bad feng-shui. Got it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: May 11, 2016, 01:06:09 pm »

Basically the Tyranids are so numerous and they have a hive-mind so they talk so much that they basically use up all the extradimensional bandwidth.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 824