Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964512 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4755 on: July 06, 2016, 08:41:13 pm »

That's what Ebay is for, LW. And there's some quite nice paints from other stores. I don't think they'll kick you out, at any rate.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: July 06, 2016, 08:42:25 pm »

What I love is I bet if you made your own models and made them legal sized. You would get kicked out of official tournaments :P

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: July 06, 2016, 10:57:05 pm »

What I love is I bet if you made your own models and made them legal sized. You would get kicked out of official tournaments :P
Well yeah.

They still want their own models to be the ones in circulation. I can't really fault them on that part, at least. Though really, I figure as long as you have something from GW in each of your models, or a certain percentage, it should be legal. Heavy conversion work using stuff from other companies should be fine. Green Stuff is useful enough anyway that they would still get sales from that, at least.

Also, I'm not certain about the Orks, though that makes sense. I was just kinda going off of how fast everything advanced and a vague idea about Orks thriving on conflict. Would've thought they would be more fractured without actual foes to fight, but I suppose that with that much room to grow and that many Orks, eventually you're gonna get a 'Boss big enough, brutal enough, and kunnin' enough to keep a decidedly large portion of the living Orks in line, probably by fighting with other similarly sized bosses.

Imagine 1984, except everyone is an Orkoid. It's their utopia. And there's no lying or surveillance state. It's literally just 'Morktown has always been at WAAAGH with Gorkville. As well as Orksburg. And Grothovel. And..."

Utopia achieved
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4758 on: July 06, 2016, 11:03:08 pm »

That is basically what happened with Beast. His Waaagh was one of rare cases when Terra itself was in danger, but the worst part was that literally whole Imperium got bogged down in a war with Greenskins.

EDIT:
To further show what Beast was to Orks...
During the war, they used mass produced weaponry which was better than Eldar technology, developed their own unique way of FTL travel, farmed humans for food and kept them as working slaves, understood actual tactics (they literally learned Codex Astrates and started using it against Marines), and when they arrived on Terra, Ork diplomats popped up at the Imperial Palace to offer formal terms of surrender speaking perfect High Gothic, fluently, to the High Lords.

To make things clear, I am still talking about the same Orks.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:36:54 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: July 06, 2016, 11:44:28 pm »

When they can get together in large enough groups...

Although all 40k lore is slightly exaggerated.

RIP Beast Empire, more cultured than Imperium could ever aspire to be at this point
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: July 06, 2016, 11:50:15 pm »

It's an interesting ascendancy of the fan theory that Orks have "levels" above Warboss that are even more intelligent, but they aren't able to show up happen.

You see an example of the fan version in Age of Dusk, where 20k years after the Orks were ravaged out of the galaxy the survivors in the Webway emerge with giant ships to attack Chaos, and only begrudgingly identify themselves to others as "the War of Krork".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: July 06, 2016, 11:57:57 pm »

That is basically what happened with Beast. His Waaagh was one of rare cases when Terra itself was in danger, but the worst part was that literally whole Imperium got bogged down in a war with Greenskins.

EDIT:
During the war, they used mass produced weaponry which was better than Eldar technology, developed their own unique way of FTL travel, farmed humans for food and kept them as working slaves, understood actual tactics (they literally learned Codex Astrates and started using it against Marines), and when they arrived on Terra, Ork diplomats popped up at the Imperial Palace to offer formal terms of surrender speaking perfect High Gothic, fluently, to the High Lords.

This is...worrying to say the least (and not the slightest bit Orky might I add.) I've been considering reading the books The Beast appears in but now I am going to buy them just for Ork diplomats.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: July 07, 2016, 12:12:23 am »

EDIT:

This is...worrying to say the least (and not the slightest bit Orky might I add.) I've been considering reading the books The Beast appears in but now I am going to buy them just for Ork diplomats.
That's because currently Orks are in essentially a feral state. Even the largest of them are still basically just warmongering tribes. They were designed as weapons, but the Old Ones are too high-falutin' not to build 'intergalactic civilization' into their genes.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: July 07, 2016, 12:24:17 am »

Someone mentioned Ork evolution?
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/war-of-the-krork-wh40k-quest.322195/

The comprehensiveness! It burns!

.... Tee! El! .... Dee.... Arrrrrr...
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: July 07, 2016, 12:55:50 am »

Someone mentioned Ork evolution?
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/war-of-the-krork-wh40k-quest.322195/

The comprehensiveness! It burns!

.... Tee! El! .... Dee.... Arrrrrr...
Comprehensive doesn't exist for that quest. The dude created a whole system just for running the one thing. His attention to detail is absolute.
Sig! Onol

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4766 on: July 07, 2016, 01:26:14 am »

It's an interesting ascendancy of the fan theory that Orks have "levels" above Warboss that are even more intelligent, but they aren't able to show up happen.
Beast is mentioned to be ridiculously huge, like "as big as a hab block with tusks the size of tree trunks", which proably means he's around the size of a small Titan, but even the regular sized Orks during Beast reign were shown to be much different biologically than regular ones after Mechanicus cut them to check what's inside.
Also Beast is also apparently one of most powerful Psykers around. He drives entire sectors mad just by screaming at them with his mind.
Seriously, the Orks back then were so fucking scary that Chaos and Imperium teamed up to take them down.

By the way, The Beheading apparently took place at the same time. I like that they are now filling in the gaps in the story because it shows how the Imperium got so much worse than Great Crusade one.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: July 07, 2016, 01:29:55 am »

Well, mark the Orks as yet another faction that would wipe the floor with the galaxy if they were At Full Power. :P
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: July 07, 2016, 01:34:41 am »

...So every faction? :P
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: July 07, 2016, 01:49:50 am »

except the tau

:P
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 824