Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 963137 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #5085 on: July 23, 2016, 04:15:24 pm »

One would think being innate psychic gives a race an inherent ability to resist psychic powers vs. one that doesn't.
You'd think so.

Humanity seems fairly vulnerable atm though.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: July 23, 2016, 04:19:44 pm »

Yeah seems that less psychic = less Chaos cos tau.

But I don't think Eldar can get corrupted. Maybe they just get nommed?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: July 23, 2016, 04:35:05 pm »

Yeah seems that less psychic = less Chaos cos tau.

But I don't think Eldar can get corrupted. Maybe they just get nommed?

Appears to be so. Their souls are simply so delicious daemons don't bother with possession or corruption, they just go straight to the nomnom. Not even the Dark Eldar, fucking twisted as they are, dally with Chaos. Being evil is no guarantee of safety.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: July 23, 2016, 04:37:12 pm »

They can be. It's just really rare because of how few of them there are, how often it means they just get eaten, how rare it is for them to fall in the first place, and how unnoticable they would be among the masses of human cultists. They'd basically be just another Champion or Sorceror, since they can't really gain the true favor of a Chaos God to empower them further.

I mean, really, humans are most vulnerable to Chaos because they're so big. Think of how much power the Gods gain from each Hive World. The gangs, the squalor, the fear, the excesses of the nobility, the filth and disease and pollution, despair, anger, hope...

Humanity's Gods are the Dark Powers, because humanity itself is (currently) so dark. Chaos only really became the force it is in the 41st millenium during the Dark Age of Technology.

Hell, if the Tau became ascendant they'd probably get Gods of their own, too. Most likely one of each Caste plus the God of Mon'Tau
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: July 23, 2016, 04:37:45 pm »

It's weird how DE are just as spiky as Chaos, but are actually mortal enemies of it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5090 on: July 23, 2016, 04:40:01 pm »

Dark Eldar are spikier

It's a true fact that Tyranids haven't eaten Dark Eldar yet because they're too spiky

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: July 23, 2016, 04:53:45 pm »

cover all imperium worlds in huge spikes to deter tyranids y/y

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: July 23, 2016, 04:58:46 pm »

They can be. It's just really rare because of how few of them there are, how often it means they just get eaten, how rare it is for them to fall in the first place, and how unnoticable they would be among the masses of human cultists. They'd basically be just another Champion or Sorceror, since they can't really gain the true favor of a Chaos God to empower them further.

I mean, really, humans are most vulnerable to Chaos because they're so big. Think of how much power the Gods gain from each Hive World. The gangs, the squalor, the fear, the excesses of the nobility, the filth and disease and pollution, despair, anger, hope...

Humanity's Gods are the Dark Powers, because humanity itself is (currently) so dark. Chaos only really became the force it is in the 41st millenium during the Dark Age of Technology.

Hell, if the Tau became ascendant they'd probably get Gods of their own, too. Most likely one of each Caste plus the God of Mon'Tau

Do you have an actual example of a Dark Eldar Chaos puppet? Because I've not read of one yet.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: July 23, 2016, 05:15:56 pm »

The problem with that is that the eldar psykers are more resistant due to training, not any innate quality. Humanity isn't going to have that kind of advantage at the start of being fully psychic, and it'll be the death of them.
The Eldar do in fact have resistance to Chaos, it's just that their link to Slaanesh is so strong that they require training to supplement that resistance.

Plus Chaos is still a thing, and will be a thing in the transition period too, and the more psykers, the more mutations and burnouts and Daemons.
As humanity's psychic potential increases, so to does their stability increase.

One would think being innate psychic gives a race an inherent ability to resist psychic powers vs. one that doesn't.
You'd think so.

Humanity seems fairly vulnerable atm though.
Psychic powers do give resistance, but only if the person who has them is developed enough to handle those powers. The Eldar are fully developed and can thus innately handle whatever amounts of psychic power they have, allowing them to use said power as a potent defence. Humans have only recently started developing meaning when powerful psykers are born they can't handle their abilities, often going insane under the strain. Having large amounts of psychic power is thus a weakness for current humans when it comes to Chaos resistance rather than a strength.

Even if the former statement is true, it's the latter that caused the former, not the other way around. To be more specific, Chaos didn't come into force during the Dark Age of Technology, they came into force at the end of the Age of Strife. The Age of Strife was when the entire galaxy was covered in Warp storms due to Slaanesh's gestation. When that gestation ended and Slaanesh was born, her psychic wail blew away the Warp storms, ending the Age of Strife. Slaanesh's birth also agitated the other three Chaos Gods who formed slowly and gradually over millions of years, gaining sentience only around the time humanity was experiencing the medieval ages. This drove them into a frenzy that they since haven't come down from.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:22:18 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5094 on: July 23, 2016, 05:21:36 pm »

You know I just clocked, Dark Eldar can protect their souls by harvesting the emotions of others like emotional vampires, trying to stave off a gargantuan emotional god-leech in turn feeding off of them. If the Dark Eldar halt their litany of excess and orgy, then eventually they will be consumed by the god-leech. Physically if the Dark Eldar are killed, or even vaporized, haemonculi can bring them back with even only a single cell sample of the killed person, provided they start their rebuilding process quickly. If this single cell dies, Slaanesh gets the Dark Eldar soul.
Do the Chaos Gods feed off the emotions of amoeba?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: July 23, 2016, 05:24:24 pm »

No, because amoeba are incapable of emotion. It's not that the Dark Eldar's cells have emotion (or maybe they do, the pointy-eared cry babies), it's that they provide anchors for their souls. Nothing special about it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:28:14 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: July 23, 2016, 05:29:33 pm »

Ye, plus if eldar have proved anything by now is that their souls can handle chaos' shenanigans as long as it has a physical vessel to attach to. So they can do stunts like shifting their essense into wraithbone shit, having their body reconstructed from parts and even existing in multiple bodies like some haemunculi, but the moment they don't have something to anchor themselves to, they get nommed faster than the speed of light.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5097 on: July 23, 2016, 05:31:30 pm »

No, because amoeba are incapable of emotion. It's not the Dark Eldar's cells have emotion (or maybe they do, the pointy-eared cry babies), it's that they provide anchors for their souls. Nothing special about it.
Ah that makes sense. Though highly emotional single-celled DE is 100% best DE

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: July 23, 2016, 06:12:29 pm »

Do you have an actual example of a Dark Eldar Chaos puppet? Because I've not read of one yet.

Spoilers for the Path of the Dark Eldar trilogy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: July 23, 2016, 06:31:38 pm »

Huh. I've read Path of the Dark Eldar and don't recall anything coming across so strongly, but it's been a while. I sort of draw a line between "behavior the Chaos Gods would approve of" and "card-carrying member of the fan club." Fucking around with Chaos at all inside Commoragh is a death sentence if Vect ever found out.
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 824