Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566103 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2010, 12:03:36 pm »

Lichs?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2010, 12:08:42 pm »

Just use you're imagination. Night Creatures are the monsters in the forest, the things that go bump in the night. They represent our primal fear of the dark, the inability of humanity to ever truly overcome the world beyond our sight. Their true form is immaterial; the important aspects are the mystery of them, the whispers spoken by frightened villagers, and the ever-present danger of being taken in the night by things beyond comprehension. If you really need to name and shape them, then every writer from the brothers Grimm to Lovecraft has got your back. I'm hoping they'll be randomly generated, though.

EDIT: Wow, that came of way more pretentiously than I thought it would.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:13:26 pm by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2010, 12:19:30 pm »

Please let there be the possibility of a fluffy wambler as a night creature.

EDIT:

FEEP *disembowels adventurer*
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:25:07 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2010, 12:27:55 pm »

I immediately thought of Vampires when he said night creatures, because they're the only creature I could think of that would work predominantly at night, keep slaves, and generally be individually powerful enough to warrant special attention. Also, they aren't in the game yet.

Vampires are interesting for Dwarf Fortress because they're so random in myth. Some can turn into various animals, some melt in daylight, some drink blood whereas others steal souls, random weaknesses to stuff like vegetables and water, etc. They're perfect fodder for random generation scripts.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 12:30:54 pm »

I immediately thought of Vampires when he said night creatures, because they're the only creature I could think of that would work predominantly at night, keep slaves, and generally be individually powerful enough to warrant special attention. Also, they aren't in the game yet.

Vampires are interesting for Dwarf Fortress because they're so random in myth. Some can turn into various animals, some melt in daylight, some drink blood whereas others steal souls, random weaknesses to stuff like vegetables and water, etc. They're perfect fodder for random generation scripts.

Some also sparkle and attract millions of fangirls. I think this possibility should be included as well.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2010, 12:37:54 pm »

Some also sparkle and attract millions of fangirls. I think this possibility should be included as well.

*thinks about...*

ARGH. Damn you! :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2010, 12:40:04 pm »

Vampires would be cool, but to be honest, the first thing that popped into my mind was werewolves, which are implemented very blandly right now. I would expect them to get swept under the night creature umbrella, since they fit many of those features. However, perhaps the most satisfying solution would be a restricted random generator, like the one proposed for dragons, that would be capable of generating vampire or werewolf-like things.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2010, 12:53:43 pm »

True, but the big problem with werewolves currently is that there is no transformation yet for the common image of werewolves. That said, with the curses and corruption framework, it is almost certainly all of the above, even if they're not necessarily night-bound (even before Twilight, vampires didn't necessarily die in sunlight) - vampires, zombies of the infectious kind, werewolves; possibly also DF originals like nightwings and foul blendecs (possibly anything currently found in evil lands?)... I'm not sure if we should expect a random night creature generator yet, though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2010, 12:59:19 pm »

anyone else notice the last item on the list was boats and moving FORTRESSES!!!  Bloody want my fortress to be able to stand up and walk away now...
Nom nom nom

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2010, 01:08:20 pm »

Much of the appeal of "night creatures", especially in real-world local folk culture, is that they're mysterious. I think procedurally-generated/random types of them would be a great idea here, so that you're never sure what to expect, especially since villagers' tales might be incomplete or inaccurate.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2010, 01:11:33 pm »

The first priority will probably just be dealing with walled-off hallways and stuff like that though -- things that are really easy to do that kill off entire sieges.  I guess it's entirely possible that they wouldn't be able to find you if you hid behind 10 meter thick walls hidden off in random places, but then it should be possible for them to live in your upper levels for years while you work away tradeless on mushrooms down below (although there are major obstacles to that that make it non-practical for the dev page).  They'd probably just leave after looting all your exposed items and slaughtering anybody left outside (including any entity pop infrastructure you've got out there).  Although once they can get through a single wall, they can just dig ambitious tunnels for you at random I suppose.  As long as walling yourself in has reasonable results, I'll be happy with however they handle it.  Right now it's too much of an exploit (of course, the whole "digging invaders" is enough of a touchy subject that it's explictly stated as optional on the dev page, and how you handle exploits is up to you at that point).
I would propose 2 systems to distinguish normal invaders from game ending HFS. It's realistic that if you hole up behind really really thick walls and never trade, then normal invaders don't have a way to realise there's dwarves hiding so they should leave you alone. At the same time, HFS shouldn't be stopped by walling it off no matter how thick the walls are.

Actually the HFS can have an alternative to digging to get around the current "wall off" exploit: what if they could pass through walls and floors? That is, they swim through rock just like they swim through magma? Then HFS would truly be the game enders and the existing infinite spawning of them would ensure forts die no matter what.

Regarding Night Creatures, assuming we're sticking with humanoids (as otherwise mythologies from around the world will have so many possible examples we'd be flooded - e.g. the one-eyed hopping umbrella) there's plenty room for a restricted random generator to work with: do they eat corpses, merely suck blood, steal souls, mutilate the deceased, infect others? How far have they rotted away and is it homogeneous or not (e.g. skeletal arms with zombie torso)? What do the locals call them? How aggressive and territorial are they? Do they have symbiotes? Side effects of being around them or getting some action done by them? DF is destined to be a fantasy world generator and Forgotten Beasts are the first sign of the RNG being used to invent new fantasy creatures. Somebody in our human history came up with the fantasy of vampires, zombies and such. DF will generate new fantasies in each world and we'll remember them if we interact with them in a memorable adventure (or fortress).

anyone else notice the last item on the list was boats and moving FORTRESSES!!!  Bloody want my fortress to be able to stand up and walk away now...
I just know someone somewhere will design a fortress that can transform into a giant robot once some of these dev list items are implemented...
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2010, 01:35:53 pm »

Just read the new dev page. Oh god, yes! I really like Capturing people alive and interrogations. That part really interested me.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2010, 01:39:25 pm »

Dang, that's a lot of green.  I haven't had time yet to read the new dev notes or even Toady's reply above.

Quote from: ggeezz
Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you see the stickied bugs in the bug tracker?

When I click View Issues, the top two or more browser scroll pages are set apart by a line.  There are many stickied issues.

Yeah, from View Issues, click the filter option for "Show Sticky Issues," then insure that the checkbox is checked, and click "Apply Filter".  The stickied issues are the ones that show up above the gray divider.

And yeah, there are a lot of them, mostly because the bug severity is kind of a pyramid -- we started off at the tip of the pyramid, with a small number of the absolute worst bugs, and now we're moving into the second or third tier, where there's a larger number of less severe bugs.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2010, 01:52:33 pm »

Just read the new dev page. Oh god, yes! I really like Capturing people alive and interrogations. That part really interested me.

That, plus the new tissue system that was implemented! >: D
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2010, 01:54:22 pm »

That, plus the new tissue system that was implemented! >: D

You're right. I'm going to love it when that is implemented.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 342