Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566654 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1110 on: September 08, 2010, 03:35:48 pm »

TrueType is going to take a LOT of UI work to look good.  It's an enormous technical improvement...but graphically, to me, it recalls the days of mid-90's games.  "Colonization" in specific, for some reason, and I guess Civ 2 as well.  TrueType can be pretty darn ugly in large fonts for example, and it does NOT look good in narrow windows; you really need to minimize word wrapping, and be very careful and conscientious about text placement.

Honestly, once TrueType comes in, your interface can no longer be purely utilitarian, and it requires serious, involved design work.  Much like high-color graphics, the more tools you have available, the worse they can be abused.  Fixed-width, 16-bit extended ASCII has some pretty hard lower limits on how ugly it can get...but moving up to TrueType, or 32-bit color, makes it possible to really screw things up.  Tread lightly, this is the opposite of trivial.

(All the same--excellent work!)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 08, 2010, 04:11:50 pm »

This is exactly what is all about. True type font is official, right? This mean that Baughn and Toady will work on it and fix more after first few experimental releases.

but graphically, to me, it recalls the days of mid-90's games.  "Colonization" in specific, for some reason, and I guess Civ 2 as well. 
Well, DF itself is graphically old school. Ascii, at most tileset game.

Honestly, once TrueType comes in, your interface can no longer be purely utilitarian
Toady will try. ;)

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 08, 2010, 04:26:01 pm »

Sowelu's point seems to be that the change will create an ongoing commitment to the UI design that cannot be fixed in a few simple releases, and would have to be constantly considered as features are added.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 08, 2010, 07:02:50 pm »

TrueType is going to take a LOT of UI work to look good.

I understand what you mean here, but so far all that's being done is adding support for variable-width fonts for text, NOT actually moving any of that text around, or needing to come up with crazy UI formatting rules or anything.  I'm not sure the current iteration is meant to "look good" so much as make text more readable. 

What this will do is allow the community a bit more freedom with tile sizes, since until now anything larger than 32x32 made text so cumbersome as to be unplayable.  It really is a change that is going to give the community a lot to work with, not to mention makes the game substantially more newbie-friendly, all without sacrificing any core elements of the game itself. 

It is the sort of thing that I had often wondered if it were possible to do with DF without some sort of painful rewrite, and am glad to see it was (questions about the specific amount of pain involved should be redirected to Baughn).

Personally I think that "the look" of the sample screenshot is done disservice by the fact that Times New Roman is a very ugly font when displayed on a computer screen (remember back in the '90s when all websites used TNR? tacky; very tacky).  Arial or a derivative would be much less jarring (though naturally this is a personal preference). 

In any case, I can't see anyone bothering to do any serious graphical interface work on DF until the game is tooling up for 1.0 (and I try not to worry about things that far into the future). 
where is up?

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 08, 2010, 07:40:23 pm »

Cue people who insist on DF's default TT Font being a beautifully-kerned Helvetica! (mouse over the comic)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 08, 2010, 08:24:00 pm »

Well i bet that we can exchange the font-type (also size etc.) over the initfiles so if the standart font isnt t your liking you can change it.

But yes stick to something like arial or courier. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 08:26:59 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: September 08, 2010, 09:28:39 pm »

Or Terminal.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: September 08, 2010, 09:45:39 pm »

Or if all else fails we can just stick to the good ol' tile-based text.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 08, 2010, 10:15:03 pm »

Well i bet that we can exchange the font-type (also size etc.) over the initfiles so if the standart font isnt t your liking you can change it.

But yes stick to something like arial or courier.

I like the idea of changing it based on the init file. Maybe only have a view it can change to though. You know, the basics: Arial, Times New Roman...Papyrus... ;)
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 08, 2010, 10:21:41 pm »

I like the idea of changing it based on the init file. Maybe only have a view it can change to though. You know, the basics: Arial, Times New Roman...Papyrus... ;)

...Comic Sans...Please don't kill me.  It was a joke!
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: September 08, 2010, 11:23:29 pm »

All will be assimilated.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1121 on: September 09, 2010, 01:17:47 am »

*cough* calluna

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 09, 2010, 01:46:04 am »

I, personally, would appreciate a font that was just like curses, but still a fonty font.

Which, of course, would mean that the letters could work with symbols and look nice, and that things like zeros could be replaced and text would still be text.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: September 09, 2010, 04:30:14 am »

So.. use a fixed-width font of the same aspect as the tiles?

The font is, indeed, specified in init.txt. Oh, but you can't use just any font installed on your system; I don't have any code to look those up yet. You have to put the actual font file in data/art.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: September 09, 2010, 01:14:35 pm »

I, personally, would appreciate a font that was just like curses, but still a fonty font.

Which, of course, would mean that the letters could work with symbols and look nice, and that things like zeros could be replaced and text would still be text.

There do exist fonts like that.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 342