Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566575 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1920 on: November 11, 2010, 03:06:33 pm »

Okay, so, a quick suggestion. The frontpage says that the world doesn't continue ledgends only history while playing, and it phrases "yet". I assume this means it's in future planning, however, if it's feasable.. What if there was a quick fix for this - once you drag your world into the age of emptiness as is enevitible from a world that doesn't regrow, you can go back to the menu screen of that region folder, and choose to gen a few extra years through an extended worldgen. This may however be more work than it's worth, since it'd only get replaced.. But if it's quick enough to add, it would partially solve the problem.

Things that are "Quick and Easy to implement" are seldom quick and almost never easy.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: November 11, 2010, 03:16:05 pm »

Oh boy. What fun it is.

Started as human peasant in a village. Talked to a fellow farmer, he mocked me, "An adventurer? YOU?!! Don't be silly, and where did you get that old sword, anyway? There is no way you could afford one with our meager pay!" , and I said to him "I'll show you what I can do! Give me something to do!". He looked at me mockingly and said "Well, remember that troublesome brigand that attacks our village all the time? It would be a lot easier, if someone could get rid of him. You know where he lives. If you want to prove your worth go kill him."
I set out of the village without thinking twice. Amazing! The day pasts so fast while you're traveling. I've been told horrible stories about a bogeyman traveling the wilds at night and killing every human he sees, so I decided to stop near a small village with a clear overpopulation problem and asked the Siege Engineer who strangely lived there to stay the night at his house (which he shared with 23 other villagers). He welcomed me with great pleasure and I think I got along with other residents. I slept till dawn and set off, as I didn't want to wake them up. About 8 hours into my travels, a goblin patrol ambushed me. It was an axeman and a crossbowman. I disabled the Axeman's Axe holding hand and stabbed him in the lower body several time and left him to drown in his blow while deflecting silver bolts from the troublesome goblin, quite a distance away. He managed to hit me in my left lower leg and I didn't hesitate, I pulled out the bolt and charged into the goblin before he got a chance to reload. I quickly severed both of his hands, before noticing the Axeman was dragging himself away. I started returning to the Axeman and the Crossbowman started running away. Barely caught him. The Axeman moved only by a little when I returned and I tried to chop his head off, but he died from blood loss far too soon.
I have a leg cut open and I'm nearly at my destination. I don't know if the wound will heal itself and what to expect in the end of my trek. Glory to Armok.

EDIT: Well. Losing is fun.  ;)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:34:43 pm by Stormrage »

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: November 11, 2010, 03:58:21 pm »

Oh hey, it's Christmas.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1923 on: November 11, 2010, 04:27:11 pm »

I was playing .17 and i noticed a couple of new items, the mortar and pestle, after killing a night creature. Any idea what it does?

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: November 11, 2010, 04:28:40 pm »

I was playing .17 and i noticed a couple of new items, the mortar and pestle, after killing a night creature. Any idea what it does?

How else would they grind your bones to make their bread?
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: November 11, 2010, 04:47:46 pm »

IanFC but these are Adv-mode only tools as described in the readme/file-changes file. I guess they become handy later on say for various stuff like cooking or preparing medicine atleast tags like [TOOL_USE:GRIND_POWDER_RECEPTACLE] indicate that. They are organised in an own file item_tool. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:58:00 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Ma88hew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: November 11, 2010, 04:56:35 pm »

Boogymen and night creatures are very difficult. I love this. It makes you actually want to have followers who are not just meat-shields.

Also, when playing around in the arena, it seems that elves are now represented by "e". (as apposed to "E") Is there a reason for this? Not that I dislike the change.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1927 on: November 11, 2010, 05:14:37 pm »

Boogymen and night creatures are very difficult. I love this. It makes you actually want to have followers who are not just meat-shields.

Also, when playing around in the arena, it seems that elves are now represented by "e". (as apposed to "E") Is there a reason for this? Not that I dislike the change.
As stated in the update post, It's because they are small.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: November 11, 2010, 05:20:05 pm »

Huh, I just noticed the rss feed for the dev updates, *subscribe*
*Hugs*

B0013

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: November 11, 2010, 05:26:52 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HELL YES

-time to sleep!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 05:35:21 pm by B0013 »
>{) >(> })o)  Fishes!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: November 11, 2010, 05:33:26 pm »

Just ran 3 dwarven adventurers, and they all met grisly ends.  Two at the hand of the local goblin horde, and one at the hands of some bandits(though I think my horde of peasants managed to kill the bandits straight up).  The first two were peasants and the third was a hero.  I like the new difficulty settings and changed way of gaining attributes.  I have, so far, only seen one bogeyman, and he cackled a bunch and then left when I woke up.  That convinced me to run away from the lair I was hiding just outside of for the night where I ran into a jaguar.

The biggest change I note is that getting armor is much more difficult.  Looks like running a fort just to create some armor for a dwarf is again a very good idea.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: November 11, 2010, 05:50:16 pm »

I'm noticing some interface quirks.  People talking about their professions don't fully grasp proper articles - for instance, "I am lady." and so forth.  Castles and forts that don't actually have structures in all their spaces still have to be navigated around.

But holy crap, I am slaughtering outlaws and picking up entourages like nobody's business.  The third guy advised me to "praise nightmares" and begged me to lead him to a warrior's death.  Hell yeah dude.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: November 11, 2010, 05:58:29 pm »

So has anyone found out what "Burial is now more encouraged in dwarf mode" meant?

What happens?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: November 11, 2010, 06:01:39 pm »

Are boogeymen and the like always going to be this prominent?  It's cool that they're spotlighted now but I can see it getting kind of annoying once the game is more complete.

Also, I'm kind of annoyed.  The newest version likes to move twice for every button press, which leads to a lot of really annoying issues like trying to pick up items or go in small rooms.  Also, sometimes I'll stab someone and and when I go to pull it out I'll pull it out and immediately attack again, which disorients me a bit because I can't tell I pulled the sword out.
Shoes...

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1934 on: November 11, 2010, 06:09:50 pm »

I like how the minotaurs yell taunts in their maze. I've been able to get by pretty easily thanks to a massive army of followers. We just totally gank anything that gets in our way. The aimed shots and new wrestling interface  work great as well.

These minotaurs seem a bit silly though, they can be laying in a hallway with 12 people standing on or around them and still dodge every hit.

Clouds are a nice touch too.

So has anyone found out what "Burial is now more encouraged in dwarf mode" meant?

What happens?

Sounds like the corpses might come back to life as zombies like they used to.

Are boogeymen and the like always going to be this prominent?  It's cool that they're spotlighted now but I can see it getting kind of annoying once the game is more complete.

Also, I'm kind of annoyed.  The newest version likes to move twice for every button press, which leads to a lot of really annoying issues like trying to pick up items or go in small rooms.  Also, sometimes I'll stab someone and and when I go to pull it out I'll pull it out and immediately attack again, which disorients me a bit because I can't tell I pulled the sword out.
I think thats just your pc being slow and lagging. I've been playing since it released and that hasn't happened once. And I like boogy men and the danger at night, makes things more FUN
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 342