Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678162 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #300 on: August 28, 2015, 02:21:04 am »

Yeah. You just have to realize that their stuff is sort of in open alpha/beta state for the first year or two. But they usually get there in the end.

Fortunately they tend to make games that you'll actually enjoy playing in a year or two's time anyway. Which is pretty rare in of itself.

So whether you adopt it early, or jump in late, at least you know it's a worthwhile purchase either way.

It's a weird business model, but one I have a surprising amount of faith in. Not sure if I'll preorder, but after their 2nd or 3rd kickstarter (sorry, DLC), I definitely will. Might jump on this from the get-go though. They actually tend to respond to criticism quite well, and I haven't whinged usefully for a while :)

Yeah that was one of my only main thoughts for buying in early. They seem to take input well and it'd be good to at least nudge them about some issues (if they crop up). As you say, they're one fo the few producers that make games I know I'll keep playing. My only fear is a GalCvi3 scenario where they miss out/don't manage some important mechanics and leave them for DLC/expansions. It seems pretty ambitious and I can just imagine a sort of 'oh we're putting espionage in later!' type thing which could sink it before it takes off.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 31, 2015, 05:56:22 am »

I dont want my nukes to feel pain. They may not want to detonate.  I also would not want them to be sapient. Else wise we'd get the Dark Star problem.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 31, 2015, 06:36:36 am »

It seems pretty ambitious and I can just imagine a sort of 'oh we're putting espionage in later!' type thing which could sink it before it takes off.
They did that exact thing with HOI2, and the franchise is still kicking. I think it's not so much about what they take out, as what they leave- it there's not enough "interesting choices" to be made in vanilla, it will fail.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

GundamMerc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 31, 2015, 08:47:08 am »

I dont want my nukes to feel pain. They may not want to detonate.  I also would not want them to be sapient. Else wise we'd get the Dark Star problem.

Well, unless they have the same issue as http://rickandmorty.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Meeseeks, then they'll want to go off as soon as possible. :3

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 31, 2015, 11:56:02 am »

Well, unless they have the same issue as http://rickandmorty.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Meeseeks, then they'll want to go off as soon as possible. :3
So did the bomb in Dark Star. The problem they had was that it was tired of false alarms (and that the mechanism for pushing it out was broken,) not that it was scared. We know it wanted to blow up, because it did.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 12, 2015, 12:46:53 am »

Now with the new DLC: Every feature we should have included in the base game. Buy now to get access to space!
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 23, 2015, 12:12:18 am »

you know they have a working beta when the dev diaries start i give it 4 months from today till they put it out on sale.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 23, 2015, 12:25:12 am »

Spaaaaace Hitleeeer coming to the stores near you!

I kind of think I will preorder this bad boy despite knowing Paradox games are very unstable at launch. I just kind of want it to succeed in a spectacular fashion so it gets support at least equal to CK2 down the line.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 23, 2015, 02:14:01 am »

you know they have a working beta when the dev diaries start i give it 4 months from today till they put it out on sale.

Not necessarily, look at HoI4, they've had dev diaries for a long time now, maybe even a year I think and they've pushed the release back at least two times already. I think they really don't want crappy launches anymore.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 23, 2015, 11:02:44 am »

PTW
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 23, 2015, 07:23:34 pm »

pay to play but at least paradox dlcs are usually good value

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 30, 2015, 08:30:52 pm »

I don't think this is old enough to be a necro, but a second dev diary has been released. Here. It focuses mostly about the art of the game, but also mentions a few of the forms of aliens we may meet, including mind-controlling parasites. The solar system is also shown, which could be... interesting if it actually appears (or has a chance to) in the final product.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 30, 2015, 09:30:11 pm »

Its all of a week since the previous post. Thats not a necro, thats an update.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 30, 2015, 10:39:28 pm »

Another artistic decision that deeply affected the visuals of the ship designs was the choice of having visible turrets on the ship. Since we want them to be visible to the player if they are zoomed out a bit, they also have to be a fairly large, and mainly placed on the top of the ship. The turrets aim towards their target and gives a satisfying broadside at times.

Okay, I'm sold. Space Battleship Yamato mod when?

Honestly though, this, I think, will end up being a proud addition to my 4X library.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 632