Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687320 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #285 on: August 26, 2015, 11:57:23 am »

Whilst I'm Mega-Hyped. I'm also foreseeing a ton of mechanics based DLCs. A bit like GalCiv3, where they stripped away a lot of the mechanics and plan to gradually feed them back in via expansions.
I can imagine all the basic stuff will be in, but I could easily seem them partitioning off the more ambitious plans for the future. I definitely feel like this might be one of those things that eventually grows into something incredible, but starts off a bit lacklustre.

Still, if we get anything like what's promised it'll be fantastic.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 26, 2015, 01:26:54 pm »

Way I see it, it'll have DLC like CK2.

I'm not gonna bother coming in when it 1st comes out.  Maybe after the 3rd or 4th DLC.  Then come back again much later at another DLC point.  Plenty of time for mods to get established by then I reckon.

CK2 released around Feb 2012... 11 DLC+misc.  About 1 release every 3-4 months. 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 26, 2015, 03:12:57 pm »

I'll buy it the moment it comes out personally. SUCH HYPE
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 26, 2015, 03:42:17 pm »

That doesn't seem wise. I love Paradox grand strategy but they tend to have issues with launches...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 26, 2015, 03:50:51 pm »

PTW, certainly.

I'm unreasonably hyped about this, considering how badly all awesome-on-paper 4X have failed in the past. Knowing Paradox, this will be buggy as hell on release and require ten DLCs to rise to its full potential. Plus the most awesome content will be provided by modders. I still want to preorder it though.

It is like dating a girl who is malicious idiot, but just so goddamn hot you can't help yourself.

To be fair, CK2 wasn't as buggy as some others when it first came out.  Maybe they're learning a bit; this is also a new IP so first impressions matter harder.

CK2 wasn't buggy because suckers like me paid to play the prototype AKA Sengoku.  Which was promptly abandoned once Paradox got all the info they needed out of it.

To be fair, Sengoku was stable when they left it, just shallow.

...Plus, I probably paid more for Sengoku than I paid for CK2 + three or so game DLCs (and hosts of crap flavor DLCs).

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 26, 2015, 10:47:41 pm »

I'll personally be waiting a little while. I've normally bought at launch, and always been a bit annoyed due to the fact that I really could have just waited for a bundle and got a properly playable game.

However, History is great for DLC - you can just add more countries and a few new mechanics and you've got yourself a DLC. Space is a bit more difficult - especially as they're procedurally generating races. They'll have to introduce proper new mechanics/big changes to be worth while buying, and I can see them getting a hell of a lot of flak if they just put them out as glorified patches which should have been in launch (especially if those mechanics were in CKII).

It's definitely not going to be a day one, but I do have high hopes - Paradox tends to realise what will piss people off a bit better than most, so I live in hopes that they'll do this well.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 27, 2015, 02:14:00 am »

They need to do a HoI4->Stellaris converter, where you have to have done a WC before converting.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #292 on: August 27, 2015, 02:20:15 am »

They need to do a HoI4->Stellaris converter, where you have to have done a WC before converting.
Yes. This.
I'll prove the whole world that Poland CAN INTO SPACE!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 27, 2015, 02:23:09 am »

Space Hitler? You want to play Space Hitler, dontcha?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 27, 2015, 02:47:57 am »

Space Hitler? You want to play Space Hitler, dontcha?

More like FULLSPACECOMMUNISM

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 27, 2015, 10:14:55 am »

That doesn't seem wise. I love Paradox grand strategy but they tend to have issues with launches...
Perhaps, but Paradox is one of the few remaining devs I full on TRUST to not dick me over, and I bought into a few early access games so I don't really have much of an issue with waiting for it to build up steam if necessary, plus if other comments are any indication then Paradox stuff will become awesome far quicker then stuff like Kenshi that I'm still waiting to have in a playable state :P

Indeed, I do this.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 27, 2015, 04:37:45 pm »

Yeah. You just have to realize that their stuff is sort of in open alpha/beta state for the first year or two. But they usually get there in the end.

Fortunately they tend to make games that you'll actually enjoy playing in a year or two's time anyway. Which is pretty rare in of itself.

So whether you adopt it early, or jump in late, at least you know it's a worthwhile purchase either way.

It's a weird business model, but one I have a surprising amount of faith in. Not sure if I'll preorder, but after their 2nd or 3rd kickstarter (sorry, DLC), I definitely will. Might jump on this from the get-go though. They actually tend to respond to criticism quite well, and I haven't whinged usefully for a while :)
It's a game. Have fun.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 27, 2015, 06:31:02 pm »

Yes. This.
I'll prove the whole world that Poland CAN INTO SPACE!
But if poland can into space, we'll end up running into space kebab eventually too.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 27, 2015, 06:33:09 pm »

REMOVE SPACE KEBAB

WITH NUKES

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 27, 2015, 09:45:44 pm »

REMOVE SPACE KEBAB

WITH GENETICALLY ENGINEERED SENTIENT NUKES

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 632