Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677320 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #525 on: December 08, 2015, 11:29:41 am »

i want a BSG style mod.... At least i hope for the art style of the second gen or maybe pit in first gen and second gen and see what happens, i just LOVE the BSG reboot universe.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 08, 2015, 12:43:00 pm »

Ponies and WH40K, the Solar Empire.  WH40K, I really only have references from memes, Chapter Master and that guardsman/inquisitor story but that is enough for my imaginations when mashing it with Ponies.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #527 on: December 08, 2015, 12:49:58 pm »

Ponies and WH40K, the Solar Empire.  WH40K, I really only have references from memes, Chapter Master and that guardsman/inquisitor story but that is enough for my imaginations when mashing it with Ponies.
You're evil, evil man.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 08, 2015, 01:02:09 pm »

I also expect two major "Vanilla-Plus" total overhauls which will contend with each other.  It's felt like it's been more common than not since even the days of AGC and EEP; unitary community projects like DVIP or, well, AGC-EEP are possible but felt a bit rarer, though I'll admit to being less familiar with the HOI sub-communities. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:10:34 pm by Culise »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 08, 2015, 01:38:07 pm »

Overhauls and mods are good, but I'm much more worried about the thing that makes these grand strategies alive, AI. I've searched the thread and so far no one has brought this subject to detail, and yet I feel it could use more attention. It is a common fact that Paradox AI sucks. Not only that, but it sucks in a way that mods cannot fix. And unlike in previous Paradox games, here the AI starts from the same position as the player.

If they don't fundamentally change the way it works and either fix it themselves, or open up AI infrastructure for modding in a way that will allow modders to make AI behave as they wish without shamanic manipulation of weights, it's going to end as HoI 3 did, with its overly complex and AI-reliant subsystems that break apart the moment you look away from them, and with them broken, the whole game becomes pretty meaningless.
._.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 08, 2015, 01:42:23 pm »

Honestly, I think they're going to have an easier time making a workable AI this time around. Mostly because it starts at a level playing field with the player, that means that they don't have to account for a bunch of different things it could do or be faced with. And AI playing Germany in HoI needs to act in specific ways to make it a believable Germany. In this one, it just needs to play as best as it can because you have no idea how the alien race should behave until you meet the for the first time.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 08, 2015, 01:54:14 pm »

I gonna go full "Foundation"
Science society that slowly turn into hive-mind utopia

Honestly, I think that was a poor way to conclude the series.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 08, 2015, 02:15:34 pm »

Overhauls and mods are good, but I'm much more worried about the thing that makes these grand strategies alive, AI. I've searched the thread and so far no one has brought this subject to detail, and yet I feel it could use more attention. It is a common fact that Paradox AI sucks. Not only that, but it sucks in a way that mods cannot fix. And unlike in previous Paradox games, here the AI starts from the same position as the player.

If they don't fundamentally change the way it works and either fix it themselves, or open up AI infrastructure for modding in a way that will allow modders to make AI behave as they wish without shamanic manipulation of weights, it's going to end as HoI 3 did, with its overly complex and AI-reliant subsystems that break apart the moment you look away from them, and with them broken, the whole game becomes pretty meaningless.

I've never seen a good AI in a strategy game anyway, which offers a real challenge. [I am talking about unboosted AIs....giving the AI a huge bonus should not count, even tho it's not hard to beat Civ 3-4 or Galciv 2 either on highest for example. IIRC the GC 2. AI -which was considered "good"- had a 400% boost.] Tactical AIs are ridicolously bad in all games, the strategical AIs are a bit better in some of the strategy games.
I am going to play this in MP as well, so I am not worried that much...it would be good to have a good AI of course, but we won't have it in any games in the near future.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 02:18:06 pm by gimli »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 08, 2015, 03:38:26 pm »

Personally, I'm not too interested in a 'difficult' AI.  I'd rather see a universe that's end goal ain't solely domination in some form or another.  At least then, it gives me room to play something suboptimal and not be steamrolled.

Competent, sure.  Plays to its personality/traits/goals, yes indeed.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 08, 2015, 03:57:17 pm »

Personally, I'm not too interested in a 'difficult' AI.  I'd rather see a universe that's end goal ain't solely domination in some form or another.  At least then, it gives me room to play something suboptimal and not be steamrolled.

Competent, sure.  Plays to its personality/traits/goals, yes indeed.

This, I'll take AI that just feel ALIVE. I think Paradox might be figuring it out, however slowly.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 08, 2015, 05:37:53 pm »

Are we done talking about what kind of empire we're going to play? I'm going to approach each underdeveloped species with careful observation and selective involvement so they'll eventually join me as equals in the stars under a united banner. Then I'm going to give them warships and point them at my enemies.
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #536 on: December 08, 2015, 05:39:40 pm »

I'll have a strict nonintervention policy for races that haven't become starfaring on their own. If that is a thing.

Kind of like the Federation I guess, but with more focus on science and less boyscout.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 08, 2015, 05:44:43 pm »

I'm thinkin' some kind of spiritualist, militaristic order working on a code of morality no-one else in the galaxy will ever understand. Let us cut God to see if He bleeds!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 08, 2015, 05:54:53 pm »

I'll have a strict nonintervention policy for races that haven't become starfaring on their own. If that is a thing.

I'm going to assume that's kind of a self-inflicted challenge. There are going to be a number of planets you're not going to be able to use yourself nor can you ally the existing, under-developed population. Still, this could just mean you spread out more among the stars and will have larger gaps between your populated planets, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you can defend your larger territory and some of the races in it develop space travel on their own. Then again, we already had an event where your colony was approached by a formerly unknown race from underground, so you might not always be aware there is a race to nonintervent with. Better make some protocols for those cases.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 05:59:54 pm by Besserwisser »
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 08, 2015, 05:58:49 pm »

I wanted to edit, not quote.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 632