Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678292 times)

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #540 on: December 08, 2015, 06:02:41 pm »

I'm thinkin' some kind of spiritualist, militaristic order working on a code of morality no-one else in the galaxy will ever understand. Let us cut God to see if He bleeds!

Vegetarian crusaders?   ???

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 08, 2015, 06:03:09 pm »

I'll have a strict nonintervention policy for races that haven't become starfaring on their own. If that is a thing.

I'm going to assume that's kind of a self-inflicted challenge. There are going to be a number of planets you're not going to be able to use yourself nor can you ally the existing, under-developed population. Still, this could just mean you spread out more among the stars and will have larger gaps between your populated planets, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you can defend your larger territory and some of the races in it develop space travel on their own. Then again, we already had an event where your colony was approached by a formerly unknown race from underground, so you might not always be aware there is a race to nonintervent with. Better make some protocols for those cases.
I actually wouldn't be surprised to find that a policy of non-intervention (specifically, the "Noninterference Directive" that came up on screenshots a while back) comes with its own domestic benefits, maybe morale out of a sense of moral superiority, diplomatic since other races know you won't interfere with their own policies, or the like.  We'll likely find out in a bit under a week, though, considering the next DD is on the topic of pre-FTL species.  From the screenshots we've seen, if you want the Prime Directive, you'll probably have to pick something like "Noninterference Directive", then in policies "Passive Study" for Xeno Interference (even the Federation set up stealthed observation posts using cloaking technology) and "Prohibited" for Xeno Enlightenment. 

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 08, 2015, 06:03:50 pm »

I'm thinkin' some kind of spiritualist, militaristic order working on a code of morality no-one else in the galaxy will ever understand. Let us cut God to see if He bleeds!
That are actual plant lifeforms.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 08, 2015, 07:28:40 pm »

...Ditto on plant lifeforms, because sentient plants are cool.
(I'll probably be lazy and literally make the Supox because I think obscure references are the best thing ever)

Forging a hierarchy of semi-autonomous battle-thralls sounds great too though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 08, 2015, 08:23:18 pm »

I'm... not sure where you got 'vegetarian' from that, but sure, why not. What I had in mind was more like a race of warrior monk philosophers, teaching the galaxy fundamental truths on existence through glorious bloodshed. Spiritualist is one of the Ethos, dontchaknow.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 08, 2015, 08:44:38 pm »

Vegetarian vegetables?  A dark twist on a theme, for sure.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 08, 2015, 08:49:05 pm »

A species of sentient weeds, perhaps? Not directly eating other plants, but vampirically feeding off of them.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 08, 2015, 09:29:06 pm »

Vegetarian vegetables?  A dark twist on a theme, for sure.
Why not? We are made of meat and eat meat, after all.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 09, 2015, 12:48:42 am »

There have always been nutjobs trying to force their beliefs upon others through violence, but a philosophy/religion seeing war in itself as holy would be interesting. Something about existential threats provoking innovation and spiritual growth, testing the mettle of the species and so forth. Not about being commanded by some vegetable god to go and kill evil vegetarians, but about the very conflict in itself being holy and a chance to reach nirvana for all participants.

"Hey, hey, hey you, want to meditate with us? :D" "Uh, sure..?" "SWEEET! Here's an AK, see you tomorrow! *wink*" "??"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 09, 2015, 12:54:52 am »

Big Boss:  Outer Space Heaven
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 09, 2015, 04:12:27 pm »

Know what would be awesome?

Convincing other empires to change their policies to match yours.  Either through war, intimidation or diplomacy.

Slaver Empire wants to open up new markets / gain another 'legitimate' supply source.  Sees that their belligerent neighbor, Enlightened Dictatorship is heavily opposed to slavery and is also trying to diplomatically convince others to change their policies to disallow slavery.
Slaver Empire declares war and crushes Enlightened Dictatorship, the condition for peace: Embrace Slavery and maybe also change some laws that would make it easier for citizens to legally fall into slaverylife long indentured servitude.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 09, 2015, 04:54:12 pm »

The idea is sound but your example is a little wonky. Why would a slaving empire want others to embrace slavery? They would want the slaves for themselves, so they'd invade the dictatorship to enslave a world or 20. Better example is something like spreading the Starfleet gospel about the prime directive and all the other myriad "we're so super fly and not about money or material things, we better ourselves!" accompanying the Federation. Of course, the Feds wouldn't invade to do that, they'd apply diplomacy, but then you have the Dominion who would invade to spread their views, or the Klingons or the Romulans. Or the biggest example, the Borg.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 09, 2015, 04:57:07 pm »

What if the idea that "All beings are free" is abhorrent to them on a social level?  They hate the idea so much that they wish to enforce it on others?  They feel that some beings are better off in a slave condition, so that they are freed from the burden of choice?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 09, 2015, 04:59:25 pm »

Then they'd do the slaving themselves :P Wouldn't want to risk some OTHER empire coming along and freeing those slaves!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 09, 2015, 05:02:29 pm »

You're hinging your thought on this assumption:

They would want the slaves for themselves

What if they don't?  What if they're freeing someone from the tyranny of choice, and replacing it with a system of safety in certainty?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 632