Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678204 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #615 on: December 14, 2015, 10:58:10 am »

Here's to hoping that an xcom-like organization forms in case of invasion.
That would happen in a cross between aggressive probing and covert infiltration...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 14, 2015, 11:03:39 am »

Here's to hoping that an xcom-like organization forms in case of invasion.
That would happen in a cross between aggressive probing and covert infiltration...
Thinking about it... yeah, I guess so. Still hoping they put something like that in.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 14, 2015, 12:11:37 pm »

I hope you can easily change your preferred method of interaction between planets and over time. The way I planned it out, I would go for passive observation first, then technological enlightenment when I feel they're ready to join me. Really primitive species might get everything faster if I don't want to wait for them too long as well as really advanced species so they won't destroy themselves in the atomic age.
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 14, 2015, 12:21:43 pm »

That they're making something closer to EU4: Space Edition instead of CK2: Space Edition isn't objectively a bad thing.

Seconded. Not every post-CK2 game has to be character-focused, and it makes more sense to make Stellaris conceptually similar to EU4. You necessarily have to deal with exploration, colonization and trade, for instance. Sure, it'd be fantastic to have a EU-like game with CK2 levels of character depth, but you need to pick a focus as development resources aren't infinite. Meaning, you can't have the cake and eat it too.

They should just give us EU:Rome 2 already!
Love, scriver~

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 14, 2015, 12:23:03 pm »

That they're making something closer to EU4: Space Edition instead of CK2: Space Edition isn't objectively a bad thing.

Seconded. Not every post-CK2 game has to be character-focused, and it makes more sense to make Stellaris conceptually similar to EU4. You necessarily have to deal with exploration, colonization and trade, for instance. Sure, it'd be fantastic to have a EU-like game with CK2 levels of character depth, but you need to pick a focus as development resources aren't infinite. Meaning, you can't have the cake and eat it too.

Honestly I'm surprised no one's done a CKII mod for the Roman Republic Era.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 14, 2015, 12:23:57 pm »

Isn't that what Rome:Total War is?
._.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 14, 2015, 01:02:51 pm »

There's no Total War game whose character depth and mechanics remotely approach CK2's.

EU Rome 2 would be a pretty viable candidate for CK2-like systems, due to similarities in scope (mainly geographical restrictions).

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 14, 2015, 01:10:15 pm »

A little, but in ky opinion it would be about as useful as making a reneneissance mod for ck2.

There's no Total War game whose character depth and mechanics remotely approach CK2's.

EU Rome 2 would be a pretty viable candidate for CK2-like systems, due to similarities in scope (mainly geographical restrictions).

But primarily because EU: Rome also was character focused ;)
Love, scriver~

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 14, 2015, 01:21:04 pm »

But primarily because EU: Rome also was character focused ;)

True. :P

To be honest, I've barely played it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 15, 2015, 01:45:03 am »

New dev diary is low-consequence stuff but cool. I'm sure someone will use the infiltration to do zanily anti-semitic things, which should be nice for some off-color humor at the very least.

Only if you consider good and bad to not ever be objective.

The DLC argument is old and tiring; why bother bringing it up when complaining about mechanics?
Because business model has an effect on mechanic implementation and choices. It's relevant.

True, but knocking on CKII for features you haven't actually seen implemented yet is something I find to be going a little too far. (I can see how coalitions can turn out badly, but it crossing religions is actually a plus for me)
We have seen it implemented, though. It's a mechanic taken from their EU4, where it works poorly, and Victoria 2 where it at least serves a function in modeling the politics of the era. This applies to shattered retreats as well, incidentally, which are in EU and are annoying and illogical but ultimately a minor annoyance.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 15, 2015, 11:49:22 am »

Only if you consider good and bad to not ever be objective.

What do you even mean? Yes, theoretically good and bad are entirely subjective definitions, that's fine. People use "objectively" way too often these days.

That aside, you didn't actually reply. Going for wider scope and lesser depth isn't necessarily reprehensible. CK2 is deeper than EU4 in several regards, particularly character mechanics, but sacrifices scope to a significant degree: it comprises only a small chunk of the world (somewhat bigger thanks to DLCs), there's no trade, no colonization, hell, not even naval combat. All justified by the historical context and eurocentrism, but the point stands. You can't go wide and deep with a comparable budget. As I said earlier, you can't have it all.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 15, 2015, 12:19:38 pm »

There is no point to compare this game to EU or CK mechanic wise. Both of those games are excellent strategy games [even tho I prefer CK II.], and this will be an excellent game as well.
I don't think that a grand space strategy should focus on character development anyway. There are much more important gameplay elements/mechanics in a game on this scale.

Hell, if I would have to choose between having deep character development or a well detailed planetary combat system, I wouldn't hesitate to choose #2., because that would be more beneficial for a game like this.
I also don't care about their DLC model. Those are just DLCs. What is important is that PD is supporting their community with the expansions. They keep adding important content [gameplay elements, subsystems etc.].. that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the expansions would focus on character development & the planetary battles.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:38:36 pm by gimli »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 15, 2015, 12:24:15 pm »

Galactic scale is too big to give much weight to individuals, unless we are talking about Cthulhu and pals. I just hope internal politics and factions are well represented. Empires should always have much internal intrigue going on, possibly leading into their downfall like we can see from history.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 15, 2015, 01:34:42 pm »

It is possible to give some depth to characters, as in traits and some stats. That's probably not too intricate. But to expect meticulous family dynamics, marriages, people being born, educated, aging and dying, and complex inter-character plotting and interaction is most likely too much. And outside a pseudo-feudal context, it also loses a lot of meaning.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 15, 2015, 01:55:26 pm »

After that last update, I may be able to finally realize my life-long dream of a confederacy or republic of worlds. Perhaps in a mutual agreement or as vast feudalistic space empire under one planet's lordship! I can't wait!!!!!!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 632