Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1686921 times)

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #600 on: December 14, 2015, 01:12:18 am »

Okay, instead let's talk about how Stellaris is gonna be great except it's actually going to be terrible because influence points are basically bird mana all over again, and the leader cap means that your characters are like EU4's playing card advisors rather than CK2's important characters, and planetary customization is going to be utterly non-meaningful (until the inevitable DLC).
That they're making something closer to EU4: Space Edition instead of CK2: Space Edition isn't objectively a bad thing. That they're going for an "unified homeworld" setting limits just how much they can do with individual characters in the first place, and you can't really blame them for doing the same thing that basically every space 4x has done. The DLC argument is old and tiring; why bother bringing it up when complaining about mechanics?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 14, 2015, 01:21:30 am »

What recent changes? I haven't been paying attention.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 14, 2015, 01:26:13 am »

The thread title may need to be changed to Stellaris: Everyone Bash on Paradox Here
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 14, 2015, 01:30:21 am »

I was expecting it to start just after release, personally, but that's just because I keep an exceptionally low hype level for everything on purpose, JUST IN CASE.

(So I'm expecting it to be bad and if it's not I'll be pleasantly surprised, versus expecting it to be amazeballs and then being severely disappointed)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 14, 2015, 01:31:20 am »

It's a nice change of pace from Stellaris: Everyone Praise Paradox For Being Gods Here.
True, but knocking on CKII for features you haven't actually seen implemented yet is something I find to be going a little too far. (I can see how coalitions can turn out badly, but it crossing religions is actually a plus for me)
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 14, 2015, 01:33:52 am »

didn't some europeans at some point try to make contact with some mongols, hoping that they would be allies against the arabs?
I might be completely misremembering some events however.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 14, 2015, 01:43:08 am »

One of the reasons behind Marco Polo's travels were to ally with the Mongols against the Muslims; later Columbus used the same reason to sell his trip. There are actual mixed religion alliances that worked, though. The Crusader States survived as long as they did because they had, if not alliances at least agreements with certain Muslim states such as Damascus.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 14, 2015, 04:10:44 am »

The Spanish Muslim states often allied with the Christian states against other Muslim states as well. The only reason I can see for coalitions-over-religious-lines going wrong is if it results in countries joining religious wars against their own faith and the like.

Distance is a valid complaint, though.
Love, scriver~

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 14, 2015, 09:22:40 am »

Stellaris Dev Diary #13 - Primitive Civilizations

Next week: "I hope that you will arrive on time for next week’s lecture, which will cover the uplifting of pre-sentient beings and how mutation and self-alteration can create new subspecies."
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 09:29:46 am by gimli »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 14, 2015, 09:40:13 am »

Here's to hoping that an xcom-like organization forms in case of invasion.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 14, 2015, 09:59:18 am »

the fact that atomic age species can wipe themselves out is pretty cool. as it the the covert infiltration. reminds me of that lizard conspiracy theory.

i would love it if you could defeat your enemy and send them back to the stone age. or banishing them to some far off desert planet like in homeworld. then they come back later with different ethics and a different government not knowing of what happens.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:03:29 am by redwallzyl »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #611 on: December 14, 2015, 10:16:37 am »

I will spam artificial comets all the time.
Fuck their stability.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 14, 2015, 10:22:55 am »

That they're making something closer to EU4: Space Edition instead of CK2: Space Edition isn't objectively a bad thing.

Seconded. Not every post-CK2 game has to be character-focused, and it makes more sense to make Stellaris conceptually similar to EU4. You necessarily have to deal with exploration, colonization and trade, for instance. Sure, it'd be fantastic to have a EU-like game with CK2 levels of character depth, but you need to pick a focus as development resources aren't infinite. Meaning, you can't have the cake and eat it too.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:26:26 am by Greenbane »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 14, 2015, 10:31:56 am »

How are you supposed to eat cake if you don't have any??  :P
My hype levels have normalized over time, I expect this to be a good game (eventually) but I can wait.  I do love how different Paradox game are from other strategy games.  I actually still need to play EU4...  I've only really played CK2

And like an hour HOI2 when I found it in a bargain bin years ago.  Couldn't understand anything, basically just boggled at the interface for a while then quit.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 14, 2015, 10:45:30 am »

I will spam artificial comets all the time.
Fuck their stability.
If this is not an actual thing, I hope modders make it so.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 632