Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677330 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2130 on: May 14, 2016, 03:39:09 pm »

I've heard that the AI in the game is really bad, is this true ?

Oh lord is it awful. For 4x standards its bad, but when you compare it to previous paradox games you have to wonder what went wrong. Rushed release? Incompetent AI development team? Bugged implementation? A combination? Regardless, it's bad.

Stellaris in general isn't as grand as I hoped, literally. They're marketing it like a grand strategy title, but it's just not. It's just a 4x, no more, no less. I like the empire customization abilities - that's definitely better than most 4x I've played - but the rest of the game is very simple, shallow, and... well, not paradox. In one night you can probably uncover every little thing this game has to offer. I think a lot of the people loving it are diehard paradox players who aren't used to the 4x genre and like that it's something new.

But, in true paradox fashion, It has the possibility to become a lot more than it is if you give it several years worth of DLC. I cant suggest the game to anyone until then. This isn't a 30 dollar mid-2016 title, it's a 100 dollar late 2017 title. Hopefully it'll be a good one.

They don't always finish every title.  The biggest risk is that they'll just take the money and run.
...Fortunately, fixes to the AI would probably fall under the free patches that come with the DLCs.  Properly playing as Robots, Colonizing Frozen/Barren/Molten/Asteroid/GasGiant, however, are likely DLC materials.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: May 14, 2016, 04:18:58 pm »

Where's the surprise?

The base versions of most recent Paradox games have been fairly shallow (thinking CK2 and EU4 here), and a platform for future DLC. And the AI on most any complex strategy game has always been lackluster, particularly at launch. As a 4X game I'm pretty sure it's more solid than the vanilla version of any other 4X game released in the past 10 years at least.

Anyway, I'm not really excusing its flaws, but merely putting them in perspective in relation to the genre. People easily fall into the habit of comparing this to games with years worth of expanded content. Patches and DLCs will definitely come, as it's to be expected from every successful Paradox game. This isn't Sengoku. Stellaris broke sales records already, so it wouldn't make much sense for them to abandon it just because some people couldn't contain their hype.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 04:21:10 pm by Greenbane »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: May 14, 2016, 04:45:01 pm »

Yeah, I'm still bitter about the whole Sengoku thing.  But I agree with your assessment.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: May 14, 2016, 04:48:07 pm »

Anyone else feel like Stone Age Primatives are an oversight?

You can uplift Non-sentients and you can advance bronze age primitives (or just take them over).

But REALLY there is nothing you can do with Cavemen? Can't abduct them? Re-educate them? anything?

Edit: Nevermind there are things you can do... but WOW is it limited... and only if your a slaver.
I don't even see pops on planets with stone-age primitives. Just the little icon saying they exist.

Pre-sentients have pops that actually expand (a bug, I hope, because you can't put a colony on a filled tile) and post-neo sentients have pops, but no pops for cavemen? that's weird as hell.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: May 14, 2016, 04:57:33 pm »

If the first patch makes it a point and clearly says that they have improved the AI I will certainly be more tempted to buy in, the game does look good but some of the things people say are concerning.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: May 14, 2016, 05:01:56 pm »

I haven't experienced any problems with the AI.
I mean sure, it's probably not strictly a good AI but as I just said, I've experienced no problems with it so far. Out of curiosity, what are the observed problems with the AI? Am I just not noticing what it's doing wrong, not caring, it's not happening to me, or what?

But no. AI's nowhere near broken in my opinion. Can be improved, but not really worth a priority patch. (Also we've already had two patches.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 06:16:53 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: May 14, 2016, 05:08:39 pm »

I don't know that we can point to Stellaris as having uniquely bad AI.  CK2 STILL has a fairly slap on the wrist attitude towards the most important people in the world finding out that you murdered their children, and a compete lack of pattern recognition for assassination sprees.  HoI3 is a game entirely about recreating WW2 in painful detail and the AI have never been able to effectively launch naval invasions, which means the AI actually reenacting WW2 on its own is essentially impossible.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2137 on: May 14, 2016, 05:51:17 pm »

Stellaris may not have uniquely bad AI, not sure if that makes PI any better for releasing unfinished games knowing the hype train to DLC central will keep rolling shekels in

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: May 14, 2016, 06:16:41 pm »

shekels
This is literally your favorite word isn't it?

...mines juxtaposition...
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2139 on: May 14, 2016, 06:48:41 pm »

Someone should make a bot that scans your post history and calculates your favourite word
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: May 14, 2016, 06:56:35 pm »

Besides the obvious common words like 'the', 'a' and the like.

The AI is a thing, yeah. It's quite fond of shuffling around pops on planets for no obvious reason, and completely ignores its war goals in favour of rushing core systems. You'd think that it'd prioritize planets in its war demands or something but nope. It's not entirely braindead but could definitely use some work.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: May 14, 2016, 07:20:06 pm »

Someone should make a bot that scans your post history and calculates your favourite word
However
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: May 14, 2016, 07:20:31 pm »

Is there a bug with the "spoilers"? I just encountered them.

They might have fixed it as the devs are aware of it, but the AI doesn't/didn't attack them because they don't count as an empire. As result they quickly eat up the entire galaxy and become a nightmare to deal with. So, try to get rid of them asap.

Yep, I really hope they improve the AI. I'm really enjoying this game so far, but I really have four issues with it:

-The UI. Small quality of life improvements are needed here and there. Why do I need to exit the galaxy view to dock fleets? Why do I need to scroll through menus that are only half as high as my screen? There are a few other things I can't remember right now. Luckily, this seems like something that will be fixed by free patches. Or mods, though I hope that won't be absolutely necessary.

-Lack of mid- and lategame events, since most events are bound to surveying and anomalies. Paradox tends to add events with DLCs, so I'm not getting my hopes up about free unmodded stuff.

-Fleet balance. Spam corvettes for the damage dealing and soaking, add one or two battleships for the auras. Granted, balance is hard to get right at release, so I'm hoping that patches will fix this. This has a also to do with the stupid way ships tend to behave in battles (for example large ships hang back regardless of weapon loadout, also what is a formation?) which brings us to the fourth issue...

-AI. Lots has been said about this. I try not to look at sector planets in order to avoid getting to upset. Oh, and as I said, the battle AI is beyond braindead. That's the two things I noticed the most

Basically we have a good, solid foundation. The house has yet to be built and sleeping on a concrete floor's hardly appealing, but we have the core of it all down.
Yeah. Waiting a few weeks, or maybe months, before buying this isn't a terrible idea If you want to be sure about spending your money well.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2143 on: May 14, 2016, 08:04:02 pm »

Wait, the UI is part of the AI?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: May 14, 2016, 08:06:21 pm »

Oh yeah. Sector AI is atrocious. Sometimes it just feels like planets in a sector are only useful for maintenance-free (usually) territory.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 632