Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678251 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2295 on: May 17, 2016, 10:13:48 pm »

...I just now discovered that you could drag-and-drop pops on your planets from one tile to another. Up until now I had been waiting for pops to randomly settle in those juicy tiles that they always seemed to save for last >_<
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: May 17, 2016, 10:47:13 pm »

Finally bit the bullet and picked this up. It's definitely solid.

Oh, and I'm playing a human empire... and I just stumbled across Sol, with a primitive race of late-medieval humans on the third rock from the sun. Star Trek races is a go. :V

Except that now the aggressively hegemonic squid people on my south-east border swallowed up my avian neighbors and are on the war path towards my homeworld. Worse yet, they're the most evil kind of space 4X AI: FAC spammers. Well, corvettes, but same diff. Nothing like dealing with a horde of tiny flying guns when the combat interface isn't complex enough to let me kite them and there aren't any AoE weapons. Also for some reason small torpedoes and medium railguns at T1 are longer ranged than medium missiles at T2.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: May 17, 2016, 11:12:10 pm »

The duplicate Sol is a bug, apparently. I know I ran into it on my Human run.

And yeah, missiles seem to have absurdly short range despite the description. I'm getting out-ranged by friggin railguns more or less constantly, which I believe are supposed to have the shortest ranges.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: May 17, 2016, 11:34:19 pm »

Thankfully I got a lucky roll and picked up autocannons, which look to be pretty damn good.

3. Run Resize Enable

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: May 17, 2016, 11:47:40 pm »

Check the range on them Autocannons are nice, but they have such piddly short range I'm not certain if they're worth it. Torpedos tend to be my goto weapon for early-mid game, but only if the enemy doesn't have PD. They have excellent range and ignore shields, which is very helpful in picking off a couple enemies before they get the chance to fire back.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: May 17, 2016, 11:59:09 pm »

My current game with spiritual militarists is going spectacularly badly at this early juncture. Very early in the game (like, the first year), some cultist event occurred in which a fleet of warships identical to my own spawned within my system and proceeded to begin shooting up a mining station. I got my own fleet over there and destroyed them all, though lost two of the three ships in the process.

During my explorations, I encounter just two anomalies. Both have very high chances of failure and so far I have indeed failed on the one I tried. I also discover literal chains of systems which are loaded with enemy forces.

Fast forward some time, I have just settled my first colony and I have been slowly expanding my resource base (very few systems in my range and most of them aren't all that good) when pirates spawn in a system that I had just sent a constructor towards.

And now my science ship with 4-star scientist has just been destroyed by an anomaly. Like every other anomaly I've found, it's one with a base 30% chance of failure.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:07:28 am by Sirus »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: May 18, 2016, 12:42:34 am »

Check the range on them Autocannons are nice, but they have such piddly short range I'm not certain if they're worth it. Torpedos tend to be my goto weapon for early-mid game, but only if the enemy doesn't have PD. They have excellent range and ignore shields, which is very helpful in picking off a couple enemies before they get the chance to fire back.

They're barely shorter ranged than my missiles, and I'm mostly fighting defensively with warp-interdiction platforms.

3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2302 on: May 18, 2016, 12:45:25 am »

Ok I'm playing this now.

You can definitely see the holes where they are going to put the DLC...

I could honestly go either way with Paradox's DLC approach, but that's neither here nor there. The modability is nice. I'm looking forward to the Star Wars, Star Trek, Babalon 5, Dr. Who, and Battlestar Galactica mods. And certainly the mod that ties them all together.

It seems to me that the time scale is really small. I put a game on fast-forward last night and it reached the tech ceiling in only a couple hundred years. I suspect that the top of the tech tree is going to be a "star gods" expansion. That's pretty trivial, though; the only inexcusable flaw with the game as it stands is probably the lack of a "planets" screen to show all colonized words at a glance.

Speaking of colonies, it bugs me that you can't colonize Mars, but you can build "frontier outposts" on stars, but those outposts require tons of influence, but building colonies requires none. Get into two alliances and play an edict, and boom, no more expansion in the early game unless you happen to find an absolutely perfect planet right next door.

Going back to the tech tree, this game is crying out for CK2-style regional tech levels! It'd be awesome to forbid the colonies from getting hyperdrive technology so they can't rebel, and it would stretch out the tech game if empires could rise and fall on the technology tree.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: May 18, 2016, 12:50:32 am »

The big problem with missiles early game is that unlike rails and lasers they have a travel time.  Late game weapons from the missile tree are great though.

You can be like me and stick with a weapon type for most of a game, or switch as you get/find/are given better.  Which I've done in one game, went from rails to missiles to energy in the late game
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: May 18, 2016, 01:04:58 am »

Torpedoes are nice because they slip through shields and have a nice range. Missiles are nice because they can't be evaded, so if the enemy has lots of nimble ships, drown them in rockets. You can beat PD just by having enough dakka.

Regarding Star Gods, an expansion concentrating on Fallen Empires would certainly be nice. It would be nice if the precursor storyline would explain the rise and fall of a fallen empire in the game, for example. Likewise, having more tech that never comes up randomly and you must actively find somehow to research it. Plus more ways to mess with primitives.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: May 18, 2016, 01:11:09 am »

I feel that Fallen Empires' existence is explained implicitly.  They're civilizations that once "won" the game and then over thousands of years dominating the galaxy with no opposition stagnated and grew to care about only one thing to the exclusion of everything else.

Or, to put it more simply, the galaxy is cyclical and they're what happens to you if you win.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: May 18, 2016, 01:24:23 am »

Or, to put it more simply, the galaxy is cyclical and they're what happens to you if you win.
I had game go exactly that.  After controlling half the galaxy directly and all but one of the remaining independent nations all in the same alliance (7 nations, only one not in the mega alliance was on the opposite side of the galaxy from me) and all these nations having -1000 stance with me from viewing me as a threat (I was the crisis for that game I guess).  I had not actually gone to war with ANYONE but fallen empires and primitives who I didn't feel like waiting for infiltrators to gain control over.

Then after years of being on top my outer sectors started to form factions of SECTOR independence.  My first time experiencing factions spread across multiple worlds.  Of course the whole revolt system is busted, defensive armies never improve while genetic legions are several times more powerful, also defensive armies are hard capped at how many can be on a planet while you can have several times that when attacking.  Never felt that I would ever lose these areas, my fleets could stop any outside interference if a world went into revolt anyway. 

But I realized that eventually, some day, I wouldn't care if one did revolt.  Hell I might let it do it just to see what happens.  Then they would all break away one at a time, leaving me my core area.  I would secure the borders.  Everyone else would realize that I'm not going to bother them as long as they don't bother me.  Finally I would just sit there, watching other empires rise and fall while mine would stay the same.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2307 on: May 18, 2016, 01:39:23 am »

Finally I would just sit there, watching other empires rise and fall while mine would stay the same.
Basically the Egyptian Old Kingdom, then.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: May 18, 2016, 01:40:44 am »

One of my suggestions on the Paradox forum was that once you win, your victorious empire could later spawn as a fallen empire, implying that you are playing in distant future from your last victory. Perhaps we get that one day, at least they took my Sol suggestion. :P
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 632