Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678156 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2790 on: June 01, 2016, 06:23:07 pm »

It might. Modern pharmaceutical research, for instance, is heavily, heavily gated by a number of agencies, policies, agendas, and so on. The idea that colonizing Mars would actually slow us down on that front really isn't hard to believe.

but that doesn't mean smaller countries with less string attached to research advance any faster
That's exactly what it means. Otherwise China and India would be the most advanced countries on the planet, or at absolute worst tied. They're not, largely because they've historically been too preoccupied with internal bullshit to advance their scientific understanding of the world very well. In fact, purely coincidentally I'm sure, they're some of the most stereotypically "still has isolated semimedieval villages and vast swathes of poverty" places in the world.

What if you had to 'research' tech twice, oncee to discover them, and once on each planet (at a tiny fraction of the cost) to implement them there? Basically, like building buildings, but with a cost in research point?

A lot of techs lack a social cost anyway.
Well, explicitly. You can still assume Warship Engines Tier 2 have a social cost in that putting them on your ships requires putting them everywhere so that your entire empire is set up to produce fuel, parts, expertise, and so on. At that point getting every vehicle in your empire to switch engines and every power plant to produce different batteries and every mechanic to completely retrain themselves and so on makes sense as an ordeal.

Well, it would represent the cost of training the planet in the use of the new tech.

Maybe that's money or influence... more research points is thematically the wrong cost.
Research is probably thematically the closest you'll get in a single resource, as it represents figuring out how things work. Figuring out how to slot a new invention into the current system in such a way that it actually gets used is probably the most reasonable approximation of trying to introduce a New Thing.

Credits work if you're literally bribing everyone, paying for everyone's training, or losing raw income from the disruption, all of which require a somewhat more coherent and powerful government than you can probably expect from even an effective dictatorship (an ineffective one can probably just make it so, but nothing tends to work right in those at the best of times so I don't think you're gaining ground that way). Same issue with minerals, plus the fact that material renovations are only part of the problem.

Influence works pretty well because it's your go-to "this is what we're doing now" resource, but I don't think it's supposed to be cleared out periodically like that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: June 01, 2016, 07:13:59 pm »

Historically, China was one of the most advanced countries on the planet, as was India, to a lesser extent. China has a pretty sizable urban population now as well. United States is third in population, and its where a lot of research and technological advances have been occurring for the past century.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: June 01, 2016, 07:42:14 pm »

^ but also it now increases costs based on how many planets you have, which is like saying that Andorra should be more technologically advanced than Canada, or something like that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: June 01, 2016, 07:48:13 pm »

^ but also it now increases costs based on how many planets you have, which is like saying that Andorra should be more technologically advanced than Canada, or something like that.

Well I'd think Sealand, which is a country contained entirely on a oil rig, would technically be the technological capital of the world.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: June 01, 2016, 07:55:32 pm »

Well I'd think Sealand, which is a country contained entirely on a oil rig, would technically be the technological capital of the world.

They're not recognized internationally though, so maybe the Vatican? They're even a fanatic spiritualist Theocratic Oligarchy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: June 01, 2016, 07:57:34 pm »

They're not recognized internationally though, so maybe the Vatican? They're even a fanatic spiritualist Theocratic Oligarchy.

Well in Marvel that is... stupidly accurate. The Vatican with their ancient magical technology to create modern day Crusades.

So there we go! even Marvel Agrees with you!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: June 01, 2016, 11:33:50 pm »

Historically, China was one of the most advanced countries on the planet, as was India, to a lesser extent. China has a pretty sizable urban population now as well. United States is third in population, and its where a lot of research and technological advances have been occurring for the past century.
Was it? I was under the impression that it invented a decent amount of stuff initially, but was never really cutting edge except by comparison during slumps. Gunpowder being the obvious poster child, where they came up with it centuries before everyone else got a hold of it, but weren't really involved in making it The New Thing the way Europe did.

It's true that the US is both fairly large and pretty advanced, but they're a pretty distant third in pop and still not exactly racing ahead of the pack.

You have to admit, when Sealand decides to install more efficient power outlets, they have waaaaaaaaaay fewer committees and deep-seated traditions to go around to do it. Not like Double Sealand, where the North Rig and the South Rig keep disagreeing on import criteria and safety regulations.

Well in Marvel that is... stupidly accurate. The Vatican with their ancient magical technology to create modern day Crusades.

So there we go! even Marvel Agrees with you!
I'm pretty sure Marvel is large and stupid enough that it agrees with everyone eventually.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2797 on: June 02, 2016, 01:08:09 am »

Going to have to make an empire for Stellaris called Francia, ruled by a Karling. That's what all my games suggests should have inevitably happened.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: June 02, 2016, 06:17:03 am »

Going to have to make an empire for Stellaris called Francia, ruled by a Karling. That's what all my games suggests should have inevitably happened.

"Francia" is merely France in Spanish. ;)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2799 on: June 02, 2016, 06:31:47 am »

"Francia" is merely France in Spanish. ;)
Regnum Francorum then.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: June 02, 2016, 02:14:59 pm »

Regne Francais en latin?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: June 03, 2016, 01:21:59 am »

I made a thing.

Basically it makes initial colonization painful to your research (20% research cost increase per planet colonized), but as you gain more population the cost decreases (1% reduction per population), providing incentive to try and get planets up to par before colonizing more, at the risk of crippling your research otherwise. Should provide an interesting balancing effect; a tall empire that colonizes worthwhile worlds would have less trouble than a wide empire that colonizes everything.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: June 03, 2016, 01:44:35 am »

Was it? I was under the impression that it invented a decent amount of stuff initially, but was never really cutting edge except by comparison during slumps. Gunpowder being the obvious poster child, where they came up with it centuries before everyone else got a hold of it, but weren't really involved in making it The New Thing the way Europe did.

It's true that the US is both fairly large and pretty advanced, but they're a pretty distant third in pop and still not exactly racing ahead of the pack.

The problem with all this reasoning is that you are looking at data trough a slit to find evidences of population correlating with research while ignoring all other thing that actually do (like gdp and research/military spending). Sure if you look hard enough you can find at least some examples where it holds true, which means jack shit.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: June 03, 2016, 08:38:07 am »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2804 on: June 03, 2016, 01:39:01 pm »

The problem with all this reasoning is that you are looking at data trough a slit to find evidences of population correlating with research while ignoring all other thing that actually do (like gdp and research/military spending). Sure if you look hard enough you can find at least some examples where it holds true, which means jack shit.

To be fair, the only people in the united states who actually eat margarine are divorcees from Maine.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 632