Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678251 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4560 on: April 12, 2017, 12:44:25 am »

That is a pretty niche bug, though.

That's a classic kind of Paradox bug. I think all their games have weird conditions under which loading something will go horribly wrong.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: April 12, 2017, 12:50:27 am »

In Sword of the Stars II pirates are actually NPCs but spawned by the Zuul. That is, they raid other factions commerce and, in the case of slaver, planets to sell slaves to the demon ferrets. The chances of pirate raids increases the closer you are to Zuul territory. Zuul starbases have further attachments that increase these raids while giving them more income from the proceedings.

I don't think the Zool-space-to-other-space-and-back pirate traffic is simulated in the game, just the percentage chances of the raid events firing and the raiders spawning. Regardless, it kind of makes sense. I think it would likewise make sense for certain kind of empires to project illegal power in same kind of manner. Stuff like fanatical purifier "renegades" raiding neighbors even while in peace etc.

Distant Worlds, of course, has fleshed out pirate factions which was nice, although the Phantom Pirates thing was just ridiculous. It was more of an end-game menace than a pirate faction though, they just use the same basic mechanics.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: April 12, 2017, 04:41:38 am »

That's a classic kind of Paradox bug. I think all their games have weird conditions under which loading something will go horribly wrong.
Every Paradox bug seems to be a really wonky bug, yeah.

stupidfallenempiresstealingmyvassalswiththeirhightechwordsargh
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: April 12, 2017, 08:45:52 am »

Its still very niche, tho. Why would you play a game with no sound at all?

Also, as good of a point that hyperlanes-only thing is, hyperlanes are boring imo.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: April 12, 2017, 08:59:16 am »

Why would you play a game with no sound at all?
Why would you need Sound in Stellaris ?
thee is a notification for everything that has a voice, and the other sounds (during battles) don't matter, because you quickly get battles with more than 100 ships.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: April 12, 2017, 09:21:33 am »

Why would you play a game with no sound at all?
Why would you need Sound in Stellaris?
Because it might as well be a board game otherwise with how fast paradox games go, action-wise.

Also because speakers/headphones are not special equipment and lacking them on a system that will play games is the odd one out, not the typical.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: April 12, 2017, 09:24:07 am »

Hyperlanes are kinda too limiting, IMO. If another empire blocks an important path, your only choice is to get them to open borders or go full murder on them, and are still not as fast as wormholes.

Anyway, here's a question: once you integrate a vassal into your empire, do you get all the tech they had researched before?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:26:02 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: April 12, 2017, 09:58:36 am »

I believe that's the point of Hyperlane only maps. To force you to focus on choke points and opening up routes through other empires instead of jumping around wherever you want. It makes for a different type/style of game compared to the usual fare which can be pretty enjoyable. I've definitely tried it once or twice to spice things up before and liked it.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: April 12, 2017, 10:09:01 am »

Anyway, here's a question: once you integrate a vassal into your empire, do you get all the tech they had researched before?
You don't get any immediate bonus, but I think you may get a little bonus if a vassal has researched the tech... or at least, I remember it like that in v1.0

Why would you need Sound in Stellaris?
Because it might as well be a board game otherwise with how fast paradox games go, action-wise.I really don't see what Sound has to do with that.

And also, it is a 4x. Of course, it's just a board game with more automatic systems :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:11:00 am by IWishIWereSarah »

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: April 12, 2017, 10:10:44 am »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: April 12, 2017, 10:32:01 am »

And also with sound, no?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: April 12, 2017, 10:49:18 am »

You don't get any immediate bonus, but I think you may get a little bonus if a vassal has researched the tech... or at least, I remember it like that in v1.0
I think it's the other way around. And for protectorates.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: April 12, 2017, 11:25:36 am »

Protectorates get a tech bonus, but Domination has a tradition that gives tech sharing between you and subjects both ways.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: April 12, 2017, 12:15:22 pm »

They should rewrite combat from scratch. There is nothing worthing to be saved as it is. Some ideas:

*It should get rid totally of the artificial cap of ships. The cap should be only the maintenance costs of the ships. Instead, we should have a fleet size cap, that could be increased by admirals skills and technology.
*This fleet size cap should a lot smaller than the current sizes of fleets. No more stacks of dooms.
*Ships, specially capital ships, should matter. They should rarely be destroyed in engagements and when they do it would be a great loss.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: April 12, 2017, 12:49:31 pm »

The caps make sense, if you look at it from how the rest of paradox's games have armies:

1. There is a force limit based on how big you are (in this case how many spaceports you have)
2. The ships cost maintenance anyway.
3. There is a problem with doomstacks
4. Sieges takes ages to finish and don't actually claim the territory for you until the end of the war.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 632