Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678131 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6525 on: June 11, 2018, 03:21:35 pm »

About 30k fleet power, and if that's the thing I'm thinking of that eats stars, it is one of the ones that wanders. It does so slowly, however.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: June 11, 2018, 03:58:38 pm »

I even used the console commands to make myself an FE, and then just turn on observe and see what my pacifist xenophile AI does. Turns out, he conquered everyone.

Well that's because that's all the AI does, other than federating, regardless of ethics. And only if they know they have the advantage of numbers.

I love Stellaris, but the AI is pretty useless.

This would explain why my pacifist federation buddies wanted me (a pacifist too) to declare war on another empire to "impose ethics" I believe it was.
I had a game where my federation of... what was it?  My humans were fanatic egalitarian xenophiles, I had a weak federation buddy that was egalitarian materialist xenophile, and a strong one that was militarist xenophile egalitarian.  So basically we were all xenophiles and egalitarians but we disagreed on the details.  Anyway, I forget what the exact mechanic was that spread our ethics but via our influence, and us waging wars to "stop atrocities", and destroying or severely weaking every hive mind, every single empire in the galaxy turned into xenophiles and egalitarians.  The only thing that varied was what the remaining one ethos point was spent on.  So I (and later my more powerful bird buddies) America'd the galaxy.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6527 on: June 11, 2018, 06:44:36 pm »

Did they remove the option to emergency FTL a fleet if it gets stuck with no path back to friendly territory.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6528 on: June 11, 2018, 06:47:14 pm »

Did they remove the option to emergency FTL a fleet if it gets stuck with no path back to friendly territory.
no it's still there. Hit B to send it home and it will ftl out if there is no path

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: June 11, 2018, 06:48:48 pm »

no it's still there. Hit B to send it home and it will ftl out if there is no path

Ok so I got a bug then, it wouldn't give me the option to FTL back. Thank you.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: June 11, 2018, 09:01:36 pm »

Wait, that was a thing you could do?  I had a science ship trapped across the galaxy because of that and just had to wait for the hostile empire to expand to the system for the ship to go missing, since I didn't know that was something I could do.  This was before the speculative hyperlane breaching tech was introduced.

Relatedly, it's kind of annoying that empires can close borders with magical forcefields.  It would be more interesting if you could go into their territory anyway and just make them mad.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: June 12, 2018, 12:30:07 pm »

I like that option a lot more. Make it a toggle that the ship would ignore diplomatic borders.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: June 12, 2018, 06:54:47 pm »

Wait, that was a thing you could do?  I had a science ship trapped across the galaxy because of that and just had to wait for the hostile empire to expand to the system for the ship to go missing, since I didn't know that was something I could do.  This was before the speculative hyperlane breaching tech was introduced.

Relatedly, it's kind of annoying that empires can close borders with magical forcefields.  It would be more interesting if you could go into their territory anyway and just make them mad.

I think they said it’s a deliberate choice to stop play of the “park capital fleets over every vulnerable word, bypassing any static defenses, then declare war” variety?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: June 12, 2018, 07:00:15 pm »

Aw, did that work at some point?  I played so much CK2 that I never even thought to try it.  Until a couple of weeks ago, out of curiosity, and sure enough my fleet magically got lost for several months.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: June 12, 2018, 07:19:51 pm »

I can understand that from a gameplay mechanics point of view, but it also seems reasonable to have static defenses automatically target outsiders if your borders are closed.  I guess that might not be enough, since a defender could theoretically rely on fleets to cut off choke points in addition to stations, and this would presumably make that much harder.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: June 12, 2018, 08:07:12 pm »

It's the same logic why peace treaties are enforced for 10 years. Yes a treaty shouldn't matter to a purifier empire (which don't do diplomacy and the last thing they'll do is respect a peace treaty), but you know, game play reasons.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: June 12, 2018, 10:24:26 pm »

I mean, if you REALLY want to have peace treaties in the game, maybe those could be negotiated with the help of fallen empires or such, that will enforce the treaty with force. So that Eternal Total War Fanatic empires might have a semi-plausible reason to respect the treaty, at least in the early game.

It is a little odd that they don't want any complete wars of annihilation with no recourse in a game featuring several empire types with the explicit goal of destroying all other life in the universe.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:26:29 pm by Egan_BW »
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6537 on: June 12, 2018, 10:32:10 pm »

Yeah, they seem to be having some issues balancing out the 'gamey' aspects with the actual game that they made.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6538 on: June 12, 2018, 10:49:42 pm »

I know it's a silly meme which gets repeated *far* too often on /vg/ for the slightest glitches, not even balance choices, but I think it actually applies here...  "Balanced for multiplayer."
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6539 on: June 12, 2018, 11:00:17 pm »

If we're playing multiplayer and I pick peaceful xenophiles while you pick devouring swarm, maybe you should just be able to eat me. :P
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 632