Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 617483 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #915 on: March 09, 2013, 01:18:09 pm »

The only reason I'm trying to make zombies is so that there is no chance of miasma. It'd be a shame if the child went insane.

You can prevent miasma by making the chamber 'aboveground' - e.g. by channelling a 'skylight' and flooring over it. Anyway, that cure is worse than the disease: miasma gives a fairly mild bad thought; 'was attacked' is pretty severe, and 'was attacked by the dead' acutely sanity-endangering.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 09, 2013, 01:22:39 pm »

The only reason I'm trying to make zombies is so that there is no chance of miasma. It'd be a shame if the child went insane.

You can prevent miasma by making the chamber 'aboveground' - e.g. by channelling a 'skylight' and flooring over it. Anyway, that cure is worse than the disease: miasma gives a fairly mild bad thought; 'was attacked' is pretty severe, and 'was attacked by the dead' acutely sanity-endangering.

THIS.

I feel stupid about not having though that myself.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 09, 2013, 02:57:30 pm »

THIS.

I feel stupid about not having though that myself.

The 'zombies on a cage' solution, however, uses far more necromancers and has more potential for !!fun!! if someone forgets to reload the cagetraps. Also the child is behind a door. And someone can shout "I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHER-SPORE-BASED-REPRODUCING ZOMBIES ON MY MOTHER-SPORE-BASED-REPRODUCING CAGE!" when !!fun!! happens.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 09, 2013, 05:17:27 pm »

Tomcost, it's actually random but once i put 2 puppies in an 1x1 room and they fough 2 battles in a season, before i get them back to butcher.
and also... the map diagram blueprint blackprint i said.

Top Layer

+ + +
+ .  +
+ + +

Bottom Layer

OOOO
OOO++O
=ó=++O
OOOOOO

Where:
O is an wall
= is a door
+ is a floor
. is an empty square
And ó is an lever, someone said that children likes to pull them, so restrict everyone but the child in the profile and make them pull it

I know that microline is useless but i love blue things...
In a time before time, I had a name.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 09, 2013, 05:40:29 pm »

Tomcost, it's actually random but once i put 2 puppies in an 1x1 room and they fough 2 battles in a season, before i get them back to butcher.
and also... the map diagram blueprint blackprint i said.

Top Layer

+ + +
+ .  +
+ + +

Bottom Layer

OOOO
OOO++O
=ó=++O
OOOOOO

Where:
O is an wall
= is a door
+ is a floor
. is an empty square
And ó is an lever, someone said that children likes to pull them, so restrict everyone but the child in the profile and make them pull it

I know that microline is useless but i love blue things...

Well, you now have to consider two new factors: feeding the child and keeping him sane.
-In a 1x1 space you can't drop things because you would harm (and possibly kill) the child. You will need to use an extra room to put food into the other room, with a bed and possibly furniture to allow him to eat.
-The lever should be EXTREMELY valuable so that the child dosn't suffer from insanity. (native platinum mechanisms and multiple links can help)

I still consider that tamed animals aren't enough agressive to make the investment worthwhile, so when I have time I will try to invent ways of neutralizing the killing potential of undead, if possible.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 09, 2013, 05:54:32 pm »

Children don't pull levers.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 09, 2013, 06:03:02 pm »

again guy, he won't feed there, there's an door that leads to the rest of the fort... he can go out and eat, drink... Just unforbid the door, as an option you can also link the 2x2 room to the rest of the fortress and stockpile some food and booze(put a well also, just for the case he gets hurt) and make sure that every wall is engraved, so he stays sane, make the 2x2 room his bedroom with a bed, make it also is dining room with a table.
in the end our new room is like that, follow the previous instructions...
Bottom Layer

OOOO
OOOα÷O
=ó=TBO
OOOOOO

T means table and B means Bed...

i choose meat but the symbol alpha din't went well in this format...

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 09, 2013, 06:06:27 pm »

and thanks sutremaine, so we need that bedroom so the child stays near and we can just trap the child there, maybe we can make an fortfication and a bridge into a way we can scream the child so he(she) run inside the 1x1 room.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 09, 2013, 07:28:51 pm »

and thanks sutremaine, so we need that bedroom so the child stays near and we can just trap the child there, maybe we can make an fortfication and a bridge into a way we can scream the child so he(she) run inside the 1x1 room.

That is something I haven't considered to condition the movement of the child. Anyway, I think that meeting zones were used without the need for another lever. The child should go there when he is not eating or sleeping.

PD: I read your signature, so I'm going to tell you that the verb scream means to shout when you are terrified, you should have used the verb scare instead. Either way, we are from neighbour countries! I'm from Agentina.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 09, 2013, 07:49:15 pm »

Sorry tom, I was trying to writescare...

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: March 22, 2013, 07:57:17 pm »

i tried this and it was very hard to keep the children happy, and i kept killing them when i dropped in barrels full of food and booze on their heads since i wasnt sure how how much 12 years of food and booze would be. Some help?

I did get some Emotionally hardened childern, specifically the couple of survivors, but they were too crippled and only gained minimal experience from dodging the dogs (this didn't last for more than 2 years for me, so im not sure how much they would have gained over 12 years). Those 2 eventually went insane/died from granite pot of wine to the head respectively.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 22, 2013, 10:48:37 pm »

well, you need to seal them off from the dumping zone, if you didn't give them enough to begin with.

rough rule of thumb: according to the wiki, 2 meals per season, and 4 drinks. a total of 96 food, and 192 drinks. you should probably be on the safe side and go higher than that, of course. you don't want to accidentally let them make a friend when somebody is carrying in the food, or the whole procedure will be ruined.

you really shouldn't use dogs for your training, by the way. they're too big. choose something smaller, and plentiful... there's a reason birds are frequently used for this.

but yes, this is likely going to be difficult in any brand new fortress. you're going to need some very nice engravings, and very high quality meals, for example. a good quality bed and door would also be a good investment. good quality everything, in general, really. a waterfall would also be a good idea.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 23, 2013, 03:52:23 am »

kinda hard to fit all that into a 1x1 room, but i can make some masterwork engravings since i have a +5 legendary engraver. Oh and the dogs werent so deadly, all they did at most was bruise the skin of the children. My problem is the maintainence of the day care since i quickly run out of food and booze if i add more children, and the only way to get the food in is through the hatch above. Most children met their fates when i dropped the supplies in...

food is also....a bit tricky to store in that kind of system to say the least, since it rots if not on a food stockpile. In my daycare the only tile they are standing on is a quantum stockpile for food to prevent its rot. I also need to drop in food quite frequently because the hatch itself is not a food stockpile, so its quite hard to actually dump a lot of food and booze down the hatch at once.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 23, 2013, 11:25:28 am »

The simple solution to that is to double-drop it.

Z=2: Supply Dump Zone
Z=1: Walled off hatch linked to lever
Z=0: Child Care Center

Dorfs stand on Z=2, and throw the food down onto the Z=1 hatch
Once you've got lots of supplies piled up, pull the lever and drop it all down into the childcare zone at once.

Alternatively, fill a minecart up with food and booze, and have it dump the load into the childcare pit as it goes past.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 23, 2013, 02:16:33 pm »

Give a helmet to the child and drop the food and booze on it's head. Then give it more armor and throw socks at it. When i reaches legendary armor user give it your best weapon and throw there some war dogs/goblins/tantrumers/berserkers/FBs/Ampersands/Titans. After 12 years, you will get a !!Little Fist o' Fury!!.
If the child goes insane in this process and goes berserk give it some slade-mandating nobles.
I'm with stupid |
                      v
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 76