Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1274 1275 [1276] 1277 1278 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5890187 times)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19125 on: February 15, 2012, 07:27:42 pm »

Don't eat the yellow snow!

Don't worry, a bunch of zombie bugs showed up and took care of me.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19126 on: February 15, 2012, 07:40:19 pm »

Fortress, in leiu of the extan garden-mancer, and a massive group of migrants, Firstrun (fir the purpose, best RNG name ever) has gotten a spike in almost all prior expierienced dwarves, one of whom must've fed an entire fortress with all the animals she killed as a hunter, bringin our force to:

2 pike squads
2 Marksdorf squads
1 axe squad
1 hammer squad
1 sword squad.

Totaling out to 32 milita dwarves, divided into 4 man squads.

Now I need enough armor and weapons for the lot of them and more barrels to facilitate hydrating them. They brought alot of livestock that will be handy food upon maturation.

And If I find that SOB I will make SURE I sick my expert axedorf and her nublet squad to beat the ever loving shit out of him with wooden axes.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19127 on: February 15, 2012, 07:44:23 pm »

First migrant wave had me worried that they were going to path through the incredibly toxic sludge polluting one side of the map but they appeared in a safe area. Then they saw an echidna and ran to the safety of poison, the deathtoll is seven and it's about to be nine because there isn't any point in letting the survivors inside when they're inevitably about to go insane.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19128 on: February 15, 2012, 07:46:33 pm »

Ok, gonna set myself up with more military to start with, maybe even some armor and weaponry.  Every attempt so far has led to me getting curb-stomped by the undead and/or monsters, will need to get around that.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19129 on: February 15, 2012, 08:05:05 pm »

Ok, gonna set myself up with more military to start with, maybe even some armor and weaponry.  Every attempt so far has led to me getting curb-stomped by the undead and/or monsters, will need to get around that.
Focus on food, drink, and miners. Everything else is just dead weight. Dig a small aclove and designate a all purpose stockpile inside. After your gear is indoors seal the aclove. After that you can get to building your fortress.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19130 on: February 15, 2012, 08:11:17 pm »

Unfortunately one of my ongoing 'house rules' is not to seal myself off.  The most I'm allowed to do is use floodgates/doors, no drawbridges or walls.

My goals are to get inside fast to help control risk of rain/mist and have a measured response to enemies but I don't want to hide, I want to counter them.

Gonna go for minors, soldiers, gear, food and drink (and a bit of stone to build a well and breach an aquifer if necessary).  That should be enough to deal with the undead.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19131 on: February 15, 2012, 08:12:56 pm »

I just started a new fortress in my homemade kobold mod. It's more advanced kobolds than kobold camps, where they can work some metals and such(no alloys except bronze), and they have reasonable mechanics powers. It's a huge challenge to go from dwarves to kobolds, since they're not naturally powerful. My little dagger-armed militia is going to die horribly, I just know it.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19132 on: February 15, 2012, 08:23:59 pm »

8th Granite, 255, early spring

Damn it all... Machinestandard isn't going nearly as planned right now. A group of goblin ambushers laid siege. They slaughtered our meager military like cattle, and several other dwarves before they sustained sufficient injuries to persuade them to leave. Our simple traps in front killed two of them and captured one, and our cheetah and some other brave dwarves hit them pretty hard for what it's worth. Our giant kestral, fondly named Urvadtishak, killed one of his own I'm pretty sure. I definnitely saw it strangling the bowmans throat until it passed out. Good job Urvadtishak.

During the siege, apparently the safest person was the vampire, who is still tied to his rope. Since the previous mayor was killed (as well as the captain of the guard and several other relatively important dwarves), they re-elected him. This should be interesting, as I have no intention of letting him off his rope to drain more people of blood.

I did hastily assign a random dwarf as a captain of the guard, which was just in time as two dwarves went insane. He took down one of them, while the other was hastily locked in their room. Then a third one went berserk, ran around until they were close to Momuz the vampire on rope. Momuz dispatched this dwarf very efficiently with his bare hands.

Then the captain of the guard went berserk, not suprising as he was only 13, so I assigned another one quickly.

And as this is all going on, I'm noticing that there are a LOT of things being thrown around the fort. Not just random bits of clothing, but food. Apparently my pissed-off dwarves are using food as a weapon, to the point that they're causing bruises.

Just another day in a dwarvish fort I guess...

Edit: Machinestandard is dead. The goblins killed maybe 1/5 of the fort. The rest just committed suicide. I think I'll need to work on happiness more next time.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:35:14 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #19133 on: February 15, 2012, 08:24:44 pm »

So a few accursed ash clouds flew through my embark but covered everything but my fort entrance and pastures. Then a badger congo line ran across the residue left behind by it and turned into zombies, promptly tearing each other to pieces. Fearing the worse I sent a few axe dwarves to kill them. But a few badgers managed to attack my war dogs in the pastures which turned them into zombies. and they killed my axe dwarves. So I am now currently trying to not get everyone killed my my own zombie livestock. and great, the first wave of migrants have arrived.  :P
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19134 on: February 15, 2012, 08:42:38 pm »

Unfortunately one of my ongoing 'house rules' is not to seal myself off.  The most I'm allowed to do is use floodgates/doors, no drawbridges or walls.

My goals are to get inside fast to help control risk of rain/mist and have a measured response to enemies but I don't want to hide, I want to counter them.

Gonna go for minors, soldiers, gear, food and drink (and a bit of stone to build a well and breach an aquifer if necessary).  That should be enough to deal with the undead.

A valiant effort, almost certainly doomed to failure in the most dangerous biomes with the current code.

Your fortress is immature for at least a year or more.  Let it grow up some before you expose it to the dangers of the worst biomes.

If you bring some mechanisms, you might set up a quickie goblin grinder or dodge-me trap, or even a dodge-me grinder.  Won't help you much against fliers though, especially if they end up being building destroyers.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19135 on: February 15, 2012, 08:44:41 pm »

So much putrid rain here...

Is there anyone who didn't immediately embark on a Terrifying region to see the new features?
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19136 on: February 15, 2012, 08:50:42 pm »

Gonna try with two hammerdwarves, one speardwarf, and two archers.  Other than that bringing food/booze, some weapons and a few dogs for breeding. 

We'll see how it goes.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #19137 on: February 15, 2012, 08:54:39 pm »

Oh shit it's raining frozen blood.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19138 on: February 15, 2012, 08:56:37 pm »

I'm gonna make a big pixel are image of my avatar out of gem windows, I've already started
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19139 on: February 15, 2012, 08:59:02 pm »

Doing quite well on my terrifying embark (I got lucky, all I have is 'giant frozen blood snow' and an absolute minimum of limb reanimation.), the only problem I face are hordes of ice wolves that occasionally wander past. To combat this I have built a wall, drawbridge and moat around the fortress entrance to keep them out, unfortunately, a child ran out earlier and got killed before my squad (consisting of the seven mining-pick wielding founders) could save her. She was the first to be buried in the crypts of the fortress.

Since then I closed the drawbridge and I got about four months of 'Rith Asreriden, dwarven child has cancelled collect owned item: item misplaced'. Only when the elven caravan  arrived (They had wood, I didn't, I had to let them in) and I lowered the drawbridge did the girl run out and head to where the first child had died. I checked her relationships and found out the dead girl was her older sister. She went to the spot where her sister had died and collected all of her belongings to bring them back.

It was quite touching.
Pages: 1 ... 1274 1275 [1276] 1277 1278 ... 3836