Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 435612 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1335 on: August 20, 2015, 05:20:36 pm »

Well, most of the FPS drop is due to pathing issues - this is why I keep hammering on the point that this is a tangled web of hallways.  The more potential routes to get from A to B, the longer it takes the processor to grind through the options on its single thread. 

Moving us to the upper fort and sealing the doors behind us took us from a standard FPS of 18 to one of 24-26.  Yet another reason I'm hesitant to return below.  If I do end up going below, I'm going to devote a lot of time to tracking and sealing a lot of the unnecessary passages.  If you find something forbidden, walled in or otherwise made inaccessible, this is why.  Open at your own risk  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1336 on: August 20, 2015, 05:24:45 pm »

try my second suggestion
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: August 20, 2015, 05:31:31 pm »

I use LNP, so I already have it set to HIGH priority :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: August 20, 2015, 08:09:59 pm »

The beast is safely entrapped.  We walk the halls of our fathers once again.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: August 20, 2015, 08:20:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure Mate has the most prolific line of succession, and his current number of heirs and children, INCLUDING adopted random dwarves, is zero.

We are definitely not descended from the people who died horribly twice here.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: August 20, 2015, 08:48:39 pm »

I'm pretty sure Mate has the most prolific line of succession, and his current number of heirs and children, INCLUDING adopted random dwarves, is zero.

You are right, I really need a Mate the 893rd, so that the bloodline of the original(ish, early post-Taupe) Doomforesters continues.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: August 20, 2015, 08:51:24 pm »

You are right, I really need a Mate the 893rd, so that the bloodline of the original(ish, early post-Taupe) Doomforesters continues.

You want MORE blood? The cleaners already have a hard enough job as it is...

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: August 21, 2015, 04:48:48 am »

And another good quote dies screaming at the hands of pedantic literalism.  LOL

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1343 on: August 21, 2015, 05:17:10 am »

I use LNP, so I already have it set to HIGH priority :)

set it to real-time pls note i am not responsible for anything that could happen ;)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: August 21, 2015, 07:38:58 am »

Interlude, Overseer's Post

No, no, NO, ye idjits!  I said dump the troll corpses in the magma, not into the new hallway!  Do ye think at all?  At least try and make yer minds function... and pull up the rest of those bloody useless one tile bridges as ye go!  And tell the miners to get to bloody work!  Ach, naught but trouble every damn day of me life.

Frankensteen, come here.   No, ye're not in trouble, sir... we have a bit of a situation.  Due to the necessities of war and such, bein' as we've walled Shedim into a tiny segment of the fort, it seems we've deprived you of some of your things.  Now, as dwarves, this is unacceptable, and I'm here to make it right.

I know, I know, it's a hard blow.  Did ye lose anything of yer family?  Well, that's a blessing.  Just think, though, man, the thing is nestin' its filthy bulk in yer old room!  Even if we kill it, do ye really think there's anything left worth touching, let alone using?  Yer bed is probably flinders by now, yer old clothes are rags, and the bodies of those who fell... alright, stop cryin', fer Olnen's sake, maybe I was layin' it on too thick.

Here, take this.  In yer hand you have an authorization to recoup all losses of portable goods, furniture and other items from our stores, including the stores down here.  My advice to you, take the finest masterworks ye can find.  Nae dwarf should lose their things, and not only that, but yer room was the very one used to trap the beast, and in my mind, that makes you a war hero of the fort.

Oh, and here, this is fer you as well.  It's the deed to one of the fine engraved rooms on the first level.  Yes, you and the wife are right across from the Manager's offices and the Captain O' the Guard... movin' up in the world, aren't we?  No, lad, 'twas the least I could do.  Besides, you've lived in this bloody place longer than anyone... you deserve a reward for that, if nothin' else.  I admire a dwarf who knows how to keep himself alive.

Now, as fer the rest of ye, put those raggedy old clothes down and haul some blocks!  I told ye, build first... ye stupid gits!  What type of...

{OOC} Adding an addendum to my original to prevent doubleposting.

We were elevated to a duchy... again.  This is like the third or fourth time we were elevated.  Psycho noted it, Mate noted it, others... I wonder if this save is bugged, because I noted in my turn in 1060 we were elevated, and each successive overseer has said that the outpost liaison elevated them to a duchy.  Does it have to re-elevate every time a duke/duchess dies and the succession passes?  And where the hell do these other dwarves live?  Inquiring minds want to know... need to do some Legends mode snooping, it seems.

SECOND EDIT: So, after some raw-mining, it seems we are still listed by the game as a "barony", since it seems the baron needs to be in-residence to be ennobled.  Our current 'ruler' is a gentledwarf by the name of Onget Lettercomets, a metalcrafter and member of the Tight Diamond, living in the hillock settlement of Earthenblots.  Not a terribly prestigious ruler... but this place is a dump  :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:52:49 pm by Iamblichos »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: August 21, 2015, 02:25:34 pm »

Summer, 1064 - Longshanks

The summer started off with a bit of excitement...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A force of 20 or so goblins and 10 troll auxiliaries came pourin' out o' the woods to the west.  I thought 'Right, we're for it - guess now we see how this new defensive array works!'  Strange how it played out, though.  They stood there for a bit, millin' about aimlessly, and then three old goblins came out of the back of the group.  They put down some sort of flowers and a couple pieces of meat... gods alone know what it was.  They all yelled "Smunstu!" and waited for a bit, then did it again.  After a third repetition, the old goblins turned around and the whole circus decamped to the west, leavin' nothin' behind but a pile of flowers and rotten meat to indicate they were there at all.  Taupe3 claims this is a bad sign, but I don't know what she would know about it.

We have finally opened the path back to the lower halls, and my plan worked beautifully if I do say so myself.  Shedim was makin' his lair on the 33d deep, outside the cages and the old guardpost.  Evil bugger had occupied Frankensteen's rooms, but I took care o' that.

I built walls sealin' it in, and sealed the stairs from below with cinnabar blocks - red for danger.  We managed to lock the door while it was.. asleep?  dormant?... but that creature could break the door if it has half a mind to.  Better it be behind solid stone than take stupid risks.

As I had feared, lookin' at what was goin' on upstairs, these halls were built by a madman or someone who had a deep fixation with snakes and jellyfish.  Hallways meander all over, goin' nowhere, leadin' to nothin', stairs randomly go up and down, and there are long roundabouts just to get to the other side of the magma pipe.  I dropped a 3x3 stair through the entry hall on the 32d deep, all the way down to the prisons and kitchens.  Now dwarves don't have to walk for an hour just to get to their meat.  We also buried half the fort who had been abandoned to rot down here.  Our dead aren't avenged yet, but at least they're properly buried.  All except for the ones being nested upon by yon snail, filthy bugger that it is.

The humans came, as they do, and we traded for cloth, leather and food.  Nothin' too exciting there.  Another useless artifact as a result of another bloody possession:

M' biggest worry is gettin' dwarves to do any real work.  Now, with these miles o' tunnel available, everyone spends all day wanderin' the halls carryin' some useless bit o' garbage instead of actually doing any work.  The hauling is becoming a real problem.  If I get the chance, I'll set up two populations, one for the deep parts and one for the top, but who has time with all there is to do?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:27:19 pm by Iamblichos »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: August 22, 2015, 11:23:04 am »

I just won Doomforests.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1347 on: August 22, 2015, 12:13:35 pm »

I just won Doomforests.

elaborate pls

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: August 22, 2015, 12:27:54 pm »

Overseer's Log, Autumn 1064 - Main Feast Hall of Doomforests

Well, and d'ye believe me NOW?

*cheering*

Aye lads, drink up, ye've all made me proud, and I don't say that often!  'Twas an impossible task, a task only dwarves could do, and we did it!  Let's talk about the season we had...

Lots of time spent on cleanin'.  Olnen's books an' scrolls, this place was a mess.  We had problem after problem durin' our little 'project', didn't we?  Crundles and giant bats and everything else under Armok's Blood Moon rollin' through the fort like runaway minecarts.  The militia proved their worth time and time again, so here's a toast to the brave men and women o' the Constructive Cusps!  You're all a tribute to the race!

First we had another visitation from the Smunstu-yellers:

Weirdest gobbos I've ever seen... usually the greenies run for the door, but these just show up, yell some incomprehensible jabber from the woods, and run off again.  Makes no sense t'me.

Then the liaison showed up with no caravan.  I've heard tell that sometimes somethin' will go amiss and the liaison won't make it in time, but never in all me years have I heard of the caravan goin' missin'.  I sent the scouts out to see if there was an accident, but no sign of a broken wagon.

But ye know... ye all know... that wasn't all.

The business of Shedim was gnawin' at me vitals.  It was wrong that we just seal the thing up and ignore it.  Safe... but wrong.  We are dwarves, not kobolds.  We don't run.  We fight!  But as me friends in the Cusps will tell you, we fight dirty if we can, ain't that right, boys?  Ha!  So I pulls out my maps and some parchment and graphite and I goes to work.  Now, I've been workin' as a mason here, but if my fort-buildin' above didn't convince ye, I've a history as an engineer.  A real one, not like yon dimwit, so stop yer sniggerin', Mate.  Seems like gettin' us all almost killed should be enough of a jape for ye...!

Bein' as Shedim was lairin' in the room of me dear friend Frankensteen, he was only three levels above the magma pipe that has given us such good service... why not ask it to serve again?  We'd tons of sand above, tons of heat below, and a giant snail that needed a hot bath.  So we started digging.  After just a wee bit of effort and struggle, we had two fine serviceable green glass pumps.  The lava was set to launch.  There was only one task remainin', and I'd like to salute the dwarf that did it.

Kronk, stand up and take a bow, sir.  This dwarf crept into the very belly of the beast itself, snuck past the wall of the room where the dread fiend was layin' in wait, and built walls to contain the magma.  How he built walls with masonry blocks quietly, I'll never know, but Kronk, I take off me hood to ya.  Well done, and better than I could have done meself.  One last wall next to the pumps, and we were ready to give ol' Sheddy his autumn surprise.

The gods hate a plan, though, and they hate a dwarven plan worst of all.  Seems like everything that could happen did happen the day we were goin' to turn on the pumps!

Within minutes of each other, a minotaur, another possession, and ol' Pencil_Art comes out with the desire o' her poor little life!  I'll get it to ye soon, darlin', but next time could ye wait a bit?  The middle of a crisis and the culmination of a months-long plan ain't the time to be needin' attention, is all I'm sayin'.

The new militia proved its worth... racin' to the scene, Kosoth stuck his sword in the beast's head, and Sakzul stuck his spear clean through it, from one ear to the other.  Two strikes, and the minotaur was no more.  Studyin' his markings and gear, our resident loremaster Taupe3 determined that this beast was Atast Castletaken the Searing Louse, who has haunted these parts for over 100 years!  This was the same beast that killed Zon Glazedied in Burialiron and a host of others in his murderous rampages through the world.  I will send word back to the Town of Stroking that his days of terror are now over.  Sakzul, you and Kosoth will split any bounty there was on the beast, and well struck to the both of ye.

Once the minotaur was dispatched, we returned to the problem at hand.  I went to the pump, I leaned over the top, and I pronounced the curse of all dwarves on the beast within.  And then I gave the order.

"TURN!"

The pumps rattled to life, and the cleansing love of Armok began to flow into the recently defiled halls.

It took a bit, but the tireless dwarves a-treadin' the pumps felt their vengeance near at hand.  First the magma crabs escaped, exactly as I planned... and they lured the beast into breakin' open the basalt door.  'Twas a warm welcome to Shedim, and no more than he deserved.

Good riddance to ye, and may ye burn forever in Armok's hell for the damages you caused.  Shedim Demonwebbed the Sinful Hole we named ye, and that name we cast now into the darkness where it belongs.  May no dwarf speak it again.  *spit*

Even the spirits must have been impressed, for they left us a lovely offering:

A pity the techniques of its makin' weren't known, but still a lovely thing.  And so we come at last to this, the first of Winter celebration.  Tomorrow we need to drain the magma and prepare for the future, but all ye dwarves, join me now in toastin' the past, and the vengeance of those who fell!

HURRAH!

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1349 on: August 22, 2015, 02:05:22 pm »

You did it, dude.

Glorious.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 144