Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 393

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2952397 times)

Majer3RD

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5505 on: July 05, 2023, 01:43:49 pm »

Hi Toady!

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the state of diplomacy and interaction between the other civilizations? Do you intend to expand on diplomacy and maybe even visiting other locations with diplomats? Absolutely love your work on this game and will forever tip my hat to you for such an amazing life project.

Potential thought on the diplomat visiting idea. Could there be a mini-adventurer mini game within fortress mode? Maybe it utilizes squad mode to control your diplomat and navigate the visiting fortress to reach and find said site’s leader, all the while avoiding traps and unruly citizens or other unwanted guests at a location.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 12:46:02 pm by Majer3RD »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5506 on: July 05, 2023, 02:47:19 pm »

Hi Toady!

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the state of diplomacy and interaction between the other civilizations? Do you intend to expand on diplomacy and maybe even visiting other locations with diplomats? Absolutely love your work on this game and will forever tip my hat to you for such an amazing life project.

Potential thought on the diplomat visiting idea. Could there be a mini-adventurer mini game within fortress mode? Maybe it utilizes squad mode to control your diplomat and navigate the visiting fortress to reach and find said site’s leader, all the while avoiding traps and unruly citizens or other unwanted guests at a location.

Welcome to the forums, Majer3RD! In this thread, questions to Toady should be marked in lime green so he knows to read them. Format like this:
Code: [Select]
[color=limegreen]in lime green[/color]
As for diplomats, the Starting Scenarios arc after Myths&Magic is meant to flesh out your fort's relationship with the world, and part of that is having different diplomacy options depending on the scenario (if your fort is a military outpost, the a roadside inn, etc.). I don't think much more has been said about that, due to it being quite some years into the future.
Though short term there are notions for better communication with your own off-site armies and holdings, as part of the pre-Myths&Magic army improvements. Perhaps those messengers count as diplomats?

Tekkud

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: July 06, 2023, 12:47:43 pm »

With a military uniform overhaul on the table, I'm curious if it has ever crossed your mind to make it possible to designate some clothing as military only? Surely there's plenty of ways to make it work. Perhaps an 'equipment use' menu akin to the 'stone use' menu, or just rigid priority for the military to claim uniform items before civilians. I bet there's a dozen ways to skin such a cat.

Especially with premium graphics, the idea of having a military equipped with identifying garments is compelling, at least for me. Grizzly bear leather cloaks embroidered with the symbol of our warrior deity, and a helm studded with the visage of each forgotten beast slain by its wearer? Yes please! To less flamboyant ends, lots of players I interact with just want the humble option to give their favorite Dwarf a special shirt.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 10:28:34 am by Tekkud »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: July 06, 2023, 01:54:37 pm »

With a military uniform overhaul on the table, I'm curious if it has ever crossed your mind to make it possible to designate some clothing as military only? Surely there's plenty of ways to make it work. Perhaps an 'equipment use' menu akin to the 'stone use' menu, or just rigid priority for the military to claim uniform items before civilians. I bet there's a dozen ways to skin such a cat.

Especially with premium graphics, the idea of having a military equipped with identifying garments is compelling, at least for me. Grizzly bear leather cloaks embroidered with the symbol of our warrior deity, and a helm studded with the visage of each forgotten beast slain by its wearer? Yes please! To less flamboyant ends, lots of players I interact with just want the humble option to give their favorite Dwarf a special shirt.

Questions should be colored green so Tarn knows they were expected to be included in the next FotF. This does sound a lot like a suggestion, though, so on the off chance the answer is "no" it should probably be posted in the suggestions subforum. Tarn and Zach regularly read the suggestions, so it won't get lost.

This suggestion has probably come up before, yes, but there's always more pressing issues in military management, like rangers being broken right now. The only time where this becomes particularly important anyway is when you want to issue adamantine clothing to the military. Otherwise having your civilians just as well-covered is always a good thing, if only so they survive an animal attack long enough the militia has time to come save them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Salvadaddy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: July 06, 2023, 06:33:57 pm »

Hi Toady!
Would you consider altering the lifespan of the Sponge Man to be more sponge-like? Currently they live between 60-80 years, while regular sea sponges can live for thousands

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: July 07, 2023, 09:50:48 am »

Hi Toady!
Would you consider altering the lifespan of the Sponge Man to be more sponge-like? Currently they live between 60-80 years, while regular sea sponges can live for thousands

Suggestions should generally go in the suggestions forum:

The purpose of the thread is to discuss current developments.  Specific bugs should be reported on the bug tracker, and specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forum.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Majer3RD

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: July 07, 2023, 11:57:49 pm »

hi Toady!

I can’t seem to find a full answer as to why, but is there anyway for me to edit the engraving text phrases used when one makes a custom slab or art description? I would even love it if we could somehow have a custom text fill in option too if that was somehow possible. Mainly I figured we should be able to at least alter the existing phrases to read a little bit different if desired but the only answer I seem to get is, it’s hardcoded. Is there a reason this is the case?

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: July 08, 2023, 04:57:42 am »

hi Toady!

I can’t seem to find a full answer as to why, but is there anyway for me to edit the engraving text phrases used when one makes a custom slab or art description? I would even love it if we could somehow have a custom text fill in option too if that was somehow possible. Mainly I figured we should be able to at least alter the existing phrases to read a little bit different if desired but the only answer I seem to get is, it’s hardcoded. Is there a reason this is the case?

...two too many 'somehows' IMO makes you look a touch less competent than you may have intended, BTW?

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5513 on: July 08, 2023, 07:06:23 am »

Given that UI is your current focus: are you aware of certain procgen code shenanigans (gremlin-style lever pulling, I guess) causing disruption in adv character gen, such as this (Kitfox: https://discord.com/channels/329272032778780672/1049402643342168114/1119264182093758541); also a long-standing calendar ☼engraving☼ that needs attention?

EDIT: Looks like someone's also taken issue (Kitfox:https://discord.com/channels/329272032778780672/847643850612801536/1133749707257168004) with, IIRC, your marking of the 'Outsider' category for (programmatic) dumping, as it were. Care to remind us just what that was about?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 08:45:08 am by Silverwing235 »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: July 08, 2023, 09:14:08 pm »

hi Toady!

This sounds like a suggestion.  Suggestions go in the Suggestions Forum.  In the meantime, you might want to hit up the people in the DFHack thread...
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: July 09, 2023, 12:14:37 am »

Given that UI is your current focus: are you aware of certain procgen code shenanigans (gremlin-style lever pulling, I guess) causing disruption in adv character gen, such as this (Discord: https://discord.com/channels/329272032778780672/1049402643342168114/1119264182093758541); also a long-standing calendar ☼engraving☼ that needs attention?
Pretty sure these bugs are on the bug tracker.
And if they're not, well, can't blame Toady for not knowing about bugs that no-one thought were important enough to report.

But, fairly sure they are.

Majer3RD

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: July 11, 2023, 07:43:33 am »

Hi Toady!

Any idea on when you think you’ll do so more work on the way the text for engravings and artwork is utilized? Will you be adding custom line functions or at least more to the existing lists of current options?

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: July 13, 2023, 03:09:27 pm »

2. We've thought about it vaguely a bit, like how to place a whole e.g. alchemy system on top the existing mundane-or-not raws procedurally.  There are plenty of existing tags (colors, large predator, etc.) that the game can use, but there'd still be more structure needed to stop it from feeling really mushy and random, but some of it should feel kinda random/historical/etc./etc.  Seems feasible though, with any target object.
YES! Do it! Procedural alchemy is YES! Go for it! Initial release could be full random, and I imagine that would be highly entertaining.
Relevant: Have you ever played Alchemists, the board game?

Multiplayer was never impossible.  I just don't have the skills for it, and it's not my kind of game so I don't want to design and maintain it.  A mod would make more sense -- if a mod springs up or something else comes up, and it doesn't take much support from my end, that's cool.
I still firmly believe that a competitive multiplayer RTS mod for Dwarf Fortress would be both hilarious and glorious in equal measure.
Dude, can you imagine money matching that sh*t and livestreaming it?

hitorigochi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: July 15, 2023, 10:10:29 pm »

Hello. I am a novice and I have a problem that has been bothering me. How do dwarves write without pen and ink? I see dwarves writing in the library without the need for pen and ink. Will pens and ink be added in the future? Because writing in the library doesn't require pen and ink, it feels like the words written on paper are out of thin air. It feels strange.
Another question, do dwarves not use any tools when fishing? Will fishing rods be added in the future?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 06:08:48 am by hitorigochi »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: July 16, 2023, 12:15:16 am »

Hello. I am a novice and I have a problem that has been bothering me. How do dwarves write without pen and ink? I see dwarves writing in the library without the need for pen and ink. Will pens and ink be added in the future?

Hello, hitorigochi!  Welcome to the Bay12 Forums!  Please remember to make your questions lime green so that Toady One can see and remember to answer them!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 393