Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!  (Read 42008 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2013, 12:40:15 am »

Hold on. You guys actually work out the things you're writing on before you start writing?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2013, 12:49:09 am »

Hold on. You guys actually work out the things you're writing on before you start writing?

It beats the hell outta wasting time during the deadline guessing what should go somewhere to bloat wordcount.

I've actually not heard of a serious fiction writer who didn't have some kind of pre-write organization.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2013, 12:52:56 am »

Maybe I should actually try that instead of writing everything off the cuff.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2013, 12:54:39 am »

My ratio of time spent plotting/worldbuilding/characterbuilding to writing is something like 725:1.

Similarly, my ratio of time spent editing/proofreading/nitpicking/mentally falling apart at the seams because that sentence is WRONG and I don't know how to make it RIGHT to writing is something like 3,720:1.

If you figure out where those ratios are from without google, good on ya.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2013, 01:47:24 am »

Maybe I should actually try that instead of writing everything off the cuff.

My fiction professor was a dickbag, so I actually used to write entirely like that out of righteous spite (I got higher scores the less I worked on projects, topping out at literally starting 3 hours before the class and getting top marks). Then I realized his opinion was shit and started writing things I actually enjoyed, with notes and outlines ahead of time. My personal opinion of the quality greatly improved, so I count it a success.

In other news, I wrote a dreadfully inadequate synopsis for my novel. It's completely generic and boring.

An amnesiac soldier wakes up in an abandoned bunker and must traverse a perilous wasteland to recover secrets about her past.

I'm at a loss, though. The character's self-discovery is supposed to be part of the plot kick-off, so I can't name her or really SAY anything about the setup in a blurb. How far into a plot do you folks think is acceptable for a teaser?

@Flying Dice
Your descriptions sound like clerics, wizards, warlocks, and sorcerers. It's really hard for me to make a call based solely on those mechanics without context (which I completely understand you not wanting to give). If I'm reading it right, all but contractors could essentially do the same things just by tapping their "batteries" in different ways, with a contractor limit being how many critters s/he can get to agree to service. I would find it more interesting if the methods of magic had a larger effect on wielding those abilities. What are the limits of each discipline? Are studious people able to learn multiple disciplines, or are the places of learning insular and distrustful? Do contractors have a set list of "go-to guys" for specific tasks that they all share, or are employees jealously hoarded like True Names?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2013, 01:59:37 am »

Which of these do you recommend?

A very young supergenius in an otherwise entirely mundane world, trying to make real life more like a comic book. Mad science trying to create heroes/villains, eventually tries clumsy manipulation of sociopolitics. His unwitting older cousin is the protagonist and 3rd person POV focus.

OR

A travelling jester, serving at many courts, tries to spread his idealistic pacifism.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2013, 02:05:24 am »

A very young supergenius in an otherwise entirely mundane world, trying to make real life more like a comic book. Mad science trying to create heroes/villains, eventually tries clumsy manipulation of sociopolitics. His unwitting older cousin is the protagonist and 3rd person POV focus.

I think this one has much more cohesive potential unless you're prepared to go full-on Gulliver's Travels with the second, which could also work out well. Judging only by what's given, I'd choose the first.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2013, 06:59:54 am »

Similarly, my ratio of time spent editing/proofreading/nitpicking/mentally falling apart at the seams because that sentence is WRONG and I don't know how to make it RIGHT to writing is something like 3,720:1.

Ah, a writer after my own heart.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2013, 07:04:05 am »

For what it's worth, here's a brief explanation of some of the more esoteric worldbuilding behind the main novel idea I'm working on in the background:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sounds super interesting. I love the concept of the four different types of magic users. Magic systems in general are very interested to me. Are the worlds linked together by magic? I.e not in the same plane, but can be reached through some form of magical travel? If so, it's kinda similar about what I'm writing for NaNo - a wanderer who travels through the endless 'binder' of worlds as easily as a normal person walks down the street.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2013, 07:35:40 am »

Current novel idea: The protagonist is unknowingly a human experiment, who gets drafted into a war against aliens for an unspecified reason. He experiences the horrors of war, finds companionship, makes friends, watches them die horribly, etc. Eventually it is revealed that all the suffering that the protagonist has gone through was due to a convoluted revenge scheme by the head scientist of the experiment (who has massive amounts of influence due to being the inventor of all military technology). Finally the protagonist and everybody who has been manipulated (and is still alive) confront the scientist in a dramatic showdown while he fatally sabotages the war effort.

The only problem I have with the idea is that I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to fit enough plot bits between the bookends.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2013, 07:43:40 am »

I wonder if six hundred pages of My Little Pony fan fiction counts as a novel.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2013, 09:10:22 am »

I wonder if six hundred pages of My Little Pony fan fiction counts as a novel.
Yes, but letting anyone read it would be consider cruel and unusual punishment.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2013, 10:25:44 am »

I might actually write that novel about an Arabic-descended "western" culture. Or a space-age Arabic culture.

TO THE RESEARCH
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2013, 10:44:04 am »

For what it's worth, here's a brief explanation of some of the more esoteric worldbuilding behind the main novel idea I'm working on in the background:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sounds super interesting. I love the concept of the four different types of magic users. Magic systems in general are very interested to me. Are the worlds linked together by magic? I.e not in the same plane, but can be reached through some form of magical travel? If so, it's kinda similar about what I'm writing for NaNo - a wanderer who travels through the endless 'binder' of worlds as easily as a normal person walks down the street.

Yes, multiple planes, but the energy requirement for either stable gates or single-use transit is prohibitively high for any single individual. Basically the only worlds that are sending people out regularly are the ones with highly organized magical communities capable of sustaining that sort of drain.

@Flying Dice
Your descriptions sound like clerics, wizards, warlocks, and sorcerers. It's really hard for me to make a call based solely on those mechanics without context (which I completely understand you not wanting to give). If I'm reading it right, all but contractors could essentially do the same things just by tapping their "batteries" in different ways, with a contractor limit being how many critters s/he can get to agree to service. I would find it more interesting if the methods of magic had a larger effect on wielding those abilities. What are the limits of each discipline? Are studious people able to learn multiple disciplines, or are the places of learning insular and distrustful? Do contractors have a set list of "go-to guys" for specific tasks that they all share, or are employees jealously hoarded like True Names?
Eeh, the first is explicitly not coming from gods of any sort. They exist, on various levels of existence, but if they're involved with magic users at all, it's through contracting with obscenely powerful individuals. Basically the point is to make them all share enough to have a common frame of reference in terms of the effects of their powers, but the causes are different, as are the methods used to get the desired effect. It's theoretically possible to learn each of the first three, but that would end up making you a sub-par user because you'd at best be able to dedicate 1/3 as much time to any one as a normal user, and as the power levels don't scale linearly...

Contracts vary, again, based on the relative power of a contractor and contractee. As a user gains experience with the system, they build a sort of resistance to the effects of a contract, making them monopolize their contractees more. A very weak god or very strong elemental spirit could contract with scores of weaker individuals, but with only one or two powerful ones.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2013, 12:35:45 pm »

I might actually write that novel about an Arabic-descended "western" culture. Or a space-age Arabic culture.

TO THE RESEARCH

Or Native Americans who develop steam technology during the 1400s and colonize Europe.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32