Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 104379 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #420 on: November 25, 2021, 09:34:16 am »

Kinda bothered by the way crashing one at max speed didn't cause any injuries last time I tried it out. Very odd. Maybe seatbelts are just that good.

Also, hey, now, CDDA making z-levels mandatory seems to have caused much wailing and gnashing of teeth among the more performance-minded. It does make labs significantly slower--like, I profiled it, labs are hilariously slow due to the sheer amount of mobs processing on every Z in them. There's probably ways to schedule mobs so that that doesn't happen (perhaps if a mob hasn't noticed anything in a while, it goes totally inert, only reactivating when "pinged" by another mob seeing it, loud noise etc?)
Weird, in my tests I crashed a helicopter and died instantly. And yeah, while z-levels are good... the game chugs around labs for me (I don't stick around them for this reason). Honestly while I like DDA more in general, one thing I liked more about BN when I gave it a spin is that it's better-optimized.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 01, 2021, 02:40:01 am »

Sorry for the double post, but what changes to mutations would you like to see? Recently, I PRed changes to Feline to make it more unique. I am open to making more changes to other lines, and perhaps adding another line or two, but I need ideas. It needs to be different enough from the others mechanically. What would *you* want to see added?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 02:43:19 am by KittyTac »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 01, 2021, 05:12:39 am »

I've always wondered why the only herbivore class is the slow ass cow, why couldn't we have something faster like a horse which would be a lot like the cow but faster or a deer which would be smaller.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 01, 2021, 06:56:14 am »

Deer aren't that much smaller than horses.

Gazelles? I dunno how small they are.

What about Giraffe?

On the other end of the spectrum, what about a Snake mutation?

But good job KittyTac, the Beast-Lupine-Feline similarities are problematic.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 01, 2021, 08:19:34 am »

I've always wondered why the only herbivore class is the slow ass cow, why couldn't we have something faster like a horse which would be a lot like the cow but faster or a deer which would be smaller.
Rabbits are herbivores but yeah. Deer would be nice, there's already a category-less antlers mut.

Snake would probably need the in-progress limb rework which would also allow for tentacles to be represented better.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 01, 2021, 01:24:32 pm »

Snake would probably need the in-progress limb rework which would also allow for tentacles to be represented better.

Could we lose our arms post-threshold please?  I'm gonna need a gun until then...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 01, 2021, 02:05:36 pm »

For my own fun, i am making a simple mod that try to restore the hilarious level of aggression from mooses and bears from old versions of cataclysm and removed their fear of sound and etc...

So far i have done this

- created a folder named "moose_bear_unleashed"
in myCBNdirectory\data\mods\

- in that "moose_bear_unleashed" folder  i have those 2 files
modinfo.json
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

bear_moose.json

If i enable this mod in a world and debug spawn a moose, the thing will immediately want to murder my character , old time nostalgia :D
So it works great and as intended

But now i would like to increase the chances of spawning, as from my memories bears and mooses weren't -that- (i nearly never saw them in current cata) rare to encounter in old Cataclysm.
And i'm puzzled on how to do that, anyone has an idea ?

**** EDIT : finally found how to edit the spawn chances, as from googling cdda (and so cbn) had drastically reduced wildlife spawning at some point.
Additionally wildlife is also cut in the spawning if there are too many zombies as priority is given to monsters apparently. So if you enable "wander spawn" that emulate zombie hordes the number of wildlife animal will be very small , near to nothing.

Anyways, here's then the additional file i would put in my mod folder to get more moose and bears spawning
unleashedgroups.json

basically for now i multiplied all the "freq" by 100 (to check if things were actually working, and they work as there's a lot of mooses and bears spawning) , will have to tinker a bit to find  a more reasonnable "freq" to get things back to roughly how it used to be in old cataclysm.
But at least this little mod works now , you can learn to fear moose and bear again (and weaponize them against zombies, or against each other as both animals will murder each other) :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 01:44:51 pm by Robsoie »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 01, 2021, 07:17:07 pm »

Meanwhile in Bright Nights...finally been nudged to start on some reworking of the obligatory "a hammer, empty light battery, and candle in every single house" issue, as part of a general rework of Erk's weird SUS (no seriously, it is actually referenced to as that) itemgroups: https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/pull/1158

Another recent thing I don't think I mentioned: https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/pull/1109

In a nutshell, we now have a rough idea of what a UPS is actually supposed to be (basically a portable combination power bank and inverter, only sci-fi in being able to work well at high wattages while staying portable), defined the intended civilian niches for it, and thus fit the advanced UPS into military usage.

Combined with defining plutonium cells as more properly distinct from plutonium batteries, this takes DDA's incomplete attempt to displace minireactor cells with ayy lmao nanite batteries and instead implies the two items properly exist in parallel, with different intended niches for the two technologies.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 02, 2021, 02:25:36 am »

I still don't get why they decided to shove all the advanced tech out of the main game and only let aliens have that stuff.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 02, 2021, 01:06:14 pm »

I still don't get why they decided to shove all the advanced tech out of the main game and only let aliens have that stuff.

Realism, because only aliens invented cybernetics I guess.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 02, 2021, 01:34:12 pm »

Realism, because only aliens invented cybernetics I guess.

Funny, none of my alien friends have cybernetics.  In fact, they were AMAZED that we humans had anything to fix our limbs.  They're also impressed by us having limbs...

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 03, 2021, 10:50:45 am »

changing cybernetics does go some way to fix labs being the one stop shop for everything exotic and nice. Now they only contain mutagens, energy weapons, nanofabricators, half-life suits, diamond coating machines, rare books and schematics, teleporters, nuclear batteries, guns and mechs

(and technically they are now less alien since cybernetics were previously supposed to be based ib mi-go technology and now it's just extradimensional human cyborgs)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 11:00:30 am by taat »
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 05, 2021, 04:09:23 pm »

changing cybernetics does go some way to fix labs being the one stop shop for everything exotic and nice. Now they only contain mutagens, energy weapons, nanofabricators, half-life suits, diamond coating machines, rare books and schematics, teleporters, nuclear batteries, guns and mechs

(and technically they are now less alien since cybernetics were previously supposed to be based ib mi-go technology and now it's just extradimensional human cyborgs)

tbh i kinda wonder if even that'll be true eventually.

feels like DDA's catering less towards every player and more towards the -in the words of a redditor who i can't find the comment of- jaded player who knows the meta and every mechanic in and out, and attempting to push that player's lategame from a few seasons to a few years out.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 05, 2021, 04:25:54 pm »

Given CBMs still have as little reason to use as before all the things pushing them farther back, vanilla mutations are still largely a grabbag of mediorce traits, NPCs are barely worth messing with, and mission chains have gotten basically no major fleshing out in years?

Yeah, they're pushing the late game back all right, but only by padding out early and mid game with more roadblocks, more tedium, more grinding...all for largely the exact same content. There's no reason to even want to reach endgame content without mods like Arcana, Cataclysm++, Aftershock, hell even Magiclysm offers you more to look forward to late-game than vanilla ever does.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 05, 2021, 05:03:31 pm »

Yepppp

Speaking of DDA, does anyone know of any up to date compilation of mods like what Kenan made? Apparently last month they've decided to cease support for DDA and solely focus on Bright Nights.

Which sucks bc I play both, and not having generally the same set of mods is annoying especially when I don't really know what comes from what mod, so I can't just find those separately if they're even updated :P
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 73