Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy - 1782 Espionage Phase  (Read 24236 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy - 1782 Espionage Phase
« Reply #285 on: December 07, 2015, 05:07:00 am »

and it works as a trade ship.
Note this. If we will have no navy at all, loyalists will have a monopoly in trade with outside world.

I am even more sure that we should steal loyalists transport ship

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 07, 2015, 07:08:06 am »

There has been zero benefits from trade yet.

Question: do we get the Royalist Imperial 6-pounder if we steal the ship?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 07, 2015, 07:41:06 am »

The ship can take any 6lb cannon, so I'm going to say no.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 07, 2015, 06:03:09 pm »

I would say going for the 12lb, the work on a ship next phase, so we can have an up gunned and better version of their ship.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 07, 2015, 06:24:21 pm »

12lb is absolutely unsuited for a naval use. Both versions. We have 8lbs cannons that are good in both land and naval role. I see no pressing need to get 12s
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 07, 2015, 08:34:45 pm »

I'm in agreement. We get a lot more out of the ship. The only real use for 12 pounder guns in this day and age is attacking fortifications, and if we need a siege gun we're better off making our own using the Van Karsten system.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 08, 2015, 12:54:22 am »

Can we use our 8 pounder on the stolen ship though? If we have to use the 6 pounder, we're going to suck.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 08, 2015, 01:13:31 am »

The suckage seems inevitable, I would like something that can be retrived with a revision or design. Looking at it, I am not sure that there is much to be salvaged from the extant steam engine, but I guess a working copy would give us something from which to learn what not to do... Our pressure technology combined with their boiler technology might produce something much smaller, which would actually be functional...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 08, 2015, 02:57:39 am »

Well, we seems to be making okayish in every weapon. Let's go for the ship, we will at least get some shipbuilding experience should we need it.

What for production? I'd go for the Watheley pistol, to make it cheap and plentiful. Our atillery is merely expensive, we don't really need it to be any cheaper.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 08, 2015, 03:43:23 am »

Yes, I would love some Whately cavalry. It would be sort of dangerous for them to attack a landing that was protected by boats, but a quick hit-and-run could really put a damper on a landing's enthusiasm.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 08, 2015, 04:01:59 am »

Edit: Just realized that even if we steal the ship, we won't be producing it this turn, so it will still have that +1 cost the turn after that. Something worth keeping in mind.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 08, 2015, 05:38:47 am »

And yes, stealing the transport will provide some benefit in 3-4 rounds. We are stealing the tech with brig as a bonus.

My current plan for remaining stages is

Espionage: steal loyailists transport for long term benefits

Production: Produce  Watheley mk II pistols to make them cheap

Focus one: Push through former Fort Combe territory to attack Monarchists. Do a mobile advance by focusing on using cavalry, light victoria I\II armed infantry, and Coombe mini-Cannons

Focus two: Do a decisive push against monarchists going from Bradford to Newton Area. Concentrate most of our artillery on this front. Move all our navy away from the western shore to support offensive on the eastern shore (Shore bombardment, supply, minor amphibious landings). Issue many Watheley mk II pistols and some combe mini-cannons to naval crews and order to go for a bold boarding if they will encounter monarchist\loyalist\pirates ship

Advantages of the plan.

1) We have a chance to push monarchists really hard
2) We should get a good chunk of Fort Combe's lands
3) Our "navy" will be relatively safe from loyalists who will likely focus their ships on supporting their landing

Disadantages
1) Fort Alton may take little more of our land
2) If loyalists will decide to attack us, they will likely get some territory with ships and artillery being on other side of the island

But I think we can tolerate both disadvantages and reconquer the lost territories next turn.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 08, 2015, 05:45:33 am »

I generally agree with you, but shouldn't we go for Fort Alton? If we kick them, we get their tech as well.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 08, 2015, 05:50:44 am »

Semi-free land of Fort Combe is a time sensitive task. Pushing Monarcists away from our major city is important for our overall safety

If we had some chance to conquer fort Alton in one turn I'd go for it but it is extremely unlikely.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 08, 2015, 06:06:11 am »

We only get a crappy carbine from Ft. Combe leftovers. I am not sure how good that shield is, but it is at least one more design.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23