Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 210784 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize a team of adventurers. The Cove!
« Reply #645 on: October 08, 2015, 01:29:34 pm »

heh, opps.  Ill take it out, since I solved that issue anywho.

The body horror in this game is real.  And probably one of the more fridge horrorish bits here.  Is it all cthulu inspired bits that play on body horror?

Not all. While the violation of the body was definitely a theme for Lovecraft works, it's only in the modern era where we really started visualizing this stuff that it truly became about body horror.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 08, 2015, 01:54:50 pm »

Lovecraft was never very specific or detailed with his descriptions of horrors of any kind, often prefering to imply things rather than outright say them, so ye.

Altough the game sure does make some use of fridge horror.

One instance I rather like is how, when you're finishing a warrens run, the narrator will sometimes say something like "these experiments should never have been done". Its never explained just what kind of experiments he's talking about, when they took place and what was the goal, but considering you're fighting hordes of manpigs, its not hard to imagine.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 08, 2015, 02:04:09 pm »

Well, given the lore around the warrens that Ive seen in-game . . .

Ancestor didn't build the warrens.  He was digging in the Ruins (which are are refered to in-gamecode as the crypt, leaving me to suspect that the location above DD is actually his manor), and found the warrens under or adjacent to them at some point.  Given the presence of books and other alchemical/storage props in the ruins I suspect it was a workroom of some kind that doubled as storage facility and burial for the lesser members of the staff.

Anywho, the warrens existed well before settlers even arrived on-location.  I dont know what they were populated with, but the Ancestor began using it as a holding pen for various mutations and experiments.  The wiki says that the pig-men were crafted by the ancestor, and they either maintained their intellect or were possessed by a force with sentience.  Keep in mind that we don't know how long the Ancestor has been dead or how long he lived.  Or how long he waited for us.  It could be he has been dead for thousands of ingame years.  During this time the pigmen must have mutated/diversified.

Ancestor says the erperiments should have never been done because, like all his work, he regrets them in death (or whatever his ultimate fate), but unlike the others, he was never an expert in flesh-crafting/blood sacrificing.  Or at least he was less interested and proficient and spent less time on them than other things.

The warrens are essentially Ancestors middin.  He ended up throwing his failures in there.  They just happened to survive because magic. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 02:16:12 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 08, 2015, 02:31:15 pm »

The warrens imply a whole lot of humans were and are eaten there.  Easily the most revolting of the settings.

There is a question as to where all these people who keep dying are coming from.  You could say the zombies, plant horrors, and slime-surrounding-skeletons are all using long dead corpses as a "base".  But that doesn't explain who the bandits rob to support themselves, or where the pigmen are stealing food/abducting people from.  It seems unlikely that one village could support all that without being destroyed, but the setting seems like such a desolate backwater that it raises questions... maybe the land the game is set in is closer to civilization than it might appear?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 08, 2015, 02:44:59 pm »

Id love to see he world outside the dungeons expanded upon.  You do raids for food and medicine; to clear he road of rotting bodies and to cleanse shrines.

I'd love to see an actual effect had on the village hamlet you presumably support or find out this is a national plight that gets worse towards the center.  The warrens could be miles long.

Let me find out that this is happening on a huge island, or that without the corrupting influence of the DD nearby the ability of the fungus/pigsty/merdudes to spread is limited to more mundane means that are surpressed by goernmental efforts.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 08, 2015, 04:40:27 pm »

The warrens imply a whole lot of humans were and are eaten there.  Easily the most revolting of the settings.

There is a question as to where all these people who keep dying are coming from.  You could say the zombies, plant horrors, and slime-surrounding-skeletons are all using long dead corpses as a "base".  But that doesn't explain who the bandits rob to support themselves, or where the pigmen are stealing food/abducting people from.  It seems unlikely that one village could support all that without being destroyed, but the setting seems like such a desolate backwater that it raises questions... maybe the land the game is set in is closer to civilization than it might appear?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In any case it's fun to speculate about that world, maybe it'd even make a good book. Hell I'd buy it. I hope they expand on it more when they get around to releasing the rest of the game. They've done a good job of it so far.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 08, 2015, 04:48:02 pm »

I don't really buy the whole pigmen-eating-each-other thing unless we except that conservation of energy plain doesn't work in this universe.  Which is possible, but pigmen seem largely mundane.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 08, 2015, 04:50:11 pm »

I find it a little ironic that, at the end of the day, the theme of DD is still stronger than the gameplay.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 08, 2015, 07:46:11 pm »

Here's what I got.  Ive set all them up, and am composing the encounter party lists now.

I still need a boss.  Ill see what I can think of, but Im currently drawing a blank.

Spoiler: room/hall lists (click to show/hide)

I think maybe 1 more decent melee monster would complete the list.  And the boss, oc.

pedit:  heroes, right.

I need a party of 4 level 1 heroes to mimic.

my favorite heroes, taken alone:
>bounty hunter
>occultist
>crusader
>plague doctor

-valid parties themes for the ai:
>mark/damage with a second focus on defense
>bleed/blight with a second focus on stunning
>position swapping with a front/back row power-move
>nerf/attrittion build

occultist is too nope.  vestel?  highwayman? man-at-arms?  I plan to corrupt any powers that seem to out-there for the ai or the theme of evil.  any ideas for a good party the ai wont suck as?  And also a good boss for a bug themed dungeon.

Spoiler: my ideas (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Teams (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:30:05 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 08, 2015, 10:18:00 pm »

I always figured the place was way more bustling and populous before the Ancestor did his thing.  They were opulent and imperial and that doesn't suggest they presided over a swampy weald and a tiny hamlet and that's it. The skulls in the warrens could also be the workers he hired to excavate.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 08, 2015, 10:55:27 pm »

Plus it'd go with the theme of corruption that runs throughout the game. Nice, fertile land turned into a desolate, remote, bedeviled place.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 08, 2015, 10:57:51 pm »

I keep considering getting this game

But my fear is it will just be another one of those games that is so tough that it stresses me out and I have to feel "prepared" before playing it again leading me to never actually playing it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 08, 2015, 11:06:14 pm »

its lost its edge since when I bought it.

its got a learning curve and a creul rng, but sticking with it will let you prevail.

much as I hate losing I love feeling like I only send out 4 dudes cuz everyone is dead, insane, or busy.

that stress of a limited pool or heroes and you have no sane healers and no base facilities is just awesome.  as a person who legit finds pleasure in suffering  and despair it can get there.

Also fun still is that transition from a level 2 dungeon to a level 3 one.  The Ruins has 6 leveled lists of monster parties, but going from skeleton defenders to skelton captains and ghouls, man.

and swinetaurs.  The warrens is def my favorite place.  And the characters/teams I prefer do best there
PKs DF Mod!

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 09, 2015, 03:08:32 am »

I keep considering getting this game

But my fear is it will just be another one of those games that is so tough that it stresses me out and I have to feel "prepared" before playing it again leading me to never actually playing it.

Yes, this is a stressful game, not frightening, but you will play with your guts. It is turn based so you can take time to consider actions but you will need to handle crisis situations and all your options will cost you. Sometimes you are obviously losing and have to either accept failure of roll the dice and pray to the eldrich gods that your character will make it to next turn.

On the other hand, there is no failure state, no game over screen, and you are never stuck.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 09, 2015, 02:58:09 pm »

:o

-The shard launchers are straight up brutal with their bleed debuffs/bleed attacks.  A team of 4 of them, left alive too long, put my vestel at 8 bleeding points for 5 rounds.
-The tentacle dogs are less dangerous and more annoying, but have a pretty high crit rate.
-I tested my beast master, which is just a hollowed out houndmaster converted to the enemy's stable attack setting.  he was . . . a support role character, but had higher stats than most critters around him.  Houndman was never meant to specialize, after all.

Spoiler: Proof of Concept (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Too much loot? (click to show/hide)

how do sound?  I have all the animations I care for, but the enemy makes no sound when hitting/hit.

Pedit:  the debug says Im missing events, but damned if I know how to fix that.  The sounds not really accessible to me.  How do?

In other news, I knew crusaders were OP, but as an enemy they scare the bullocks out of me.  A level 1 crusader is doing 9-18 smite damage rounded up to unholy.  4 other them obliterated my troops with holy lance, which Ive nerfed with a debuff.  The game also tries to crash when I use some combination of the enemy targeting multiple friendlies, darkness, and bolster.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:58:29 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 101