Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1416653 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2016, 12:48:59 pm »

But how do you MAKE dwarves start wars more often? Because usually I reserve the term trivial for things that are easily fixed. :V

Meanwhile...welp. Adventurecraft now has gorlaks that understand The Mysteries of The Doorknob.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2016, 01:04:36 pm »

But how do you MAKE dwarves start wars more often? Because usually I reserve the term trivial for things that are easily fixed. :V

Meanwhile...welp. Adventurecraft now has gorlaks that understand The Mysteries of The Doorknob.

Give dwarves more ways to execute wars i guess. (and properly defined siege triggers if that's a problem that dwarves can't engage without them, another raw discrepancy)

Artifact stealing by civ's might fix that, right now dwarves dislike other civs but sit around moaning about it (perhaps its a psyche thing in being staunch and stubborn), humans and the like go out and settle it based on principle.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2016, 01:24:56 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2016, 01:28:20 pm »

It might occur more often if ethics were different. Right now it seems only goblins and kobolds have the the "REQUIRED" ethic regarding attacking enemies. Or would that only affect conflict in adventure mode, like how goblins and kobolds act regarding the neutral ethic token?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2016, 04:58:13 pm »

C'mon, RD. You've posted about it multiple times and put up a suggestion thread. Everyone has a pet bug or feature they'd wish Toady would drop everything for but the trick is not to nag about it.

Mine was the sorry state of combat before 0.43.04, but I didn't even mention it until Dwarfmoot and only after it was already announced that some proper transfer of force to joints was going in.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2016, 05:16:00 pm »

This thread will now be a dozen pages of bitching about my bitching. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2016, 06:00:19 pm »

This thread will now be a dozen pages of bitching about my bitching. :V
Don't forget you bitching about people bitching about your bitching.  And I suppose this counts as me bitching about you bitching about people bitching about you bitching...
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2016, 06:04:44 pm »

----NO BITCHING BELOW THIS LINE----

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2016, 06:11:04 pm »

Can I shamelessly plug having fixed both giant desert scorpions and gorlaks in my main mod, instead? o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2016, 06:12:51 pm »

Can I shamelessly plug having fixed both giant desert scorpions and gorlaks in my main mod, instead? o3o
Only if it is in fact shameless.  I believe you are :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2016, 06:44:08 pm »

You mentioned that some artifacts might only be destroyed in specific ways. Are there any plans for artifacts (both mundane and magical) to leave behind a broken version of themselves so that they can sometimes be repaired or used to make a new artifact. Additionally, are artifacts planned to be able to break without either a very specific trigger or wear?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 09:10:14 pm by The Ensorceler »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2016, 07:08:10 pm »

You mentioned that some artifacts might only be destroyed in specific ways. Are there any plans for artifacts (both mundane and magical) to leave behind a broken version of themselves so that they can sometimes be repaired or used to make a new artifact. Additionally, are artifacts planned to be able to break without either a very specific trigger or wear?
Breaking artifacts and repairing them was covered in that same reply...

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2016, 09:09:18 pm »

Breaking artifacts and repairing them was covered in that same reply...

There was some similar stuff in the last FoTF, but I wasn't covering the exact same stuff as this:

Repairing wear damage:
Quote from: Thundercraft
As part of adding armor item damage, are there any plans to allow dwarves or other crafts-persons the ability to repair damaged armor? Or will players be forced to either obtain or make new armor and either sell or smelt badly damaged armor?
Quote from: stinkasectomy
with the new system of weapon and armour damage, do you intend to implement a way or repairing damage? if repairing is implemented, will it require more resources (some more bronze to repair a damaged bronze item etc). does (should?) the damage apply to artifacts? i like the idea of repairing any of my military's named items, even if they aren't artifacts.

We'd like to let them fix the items, but we didn't get to that and I'm not sure what's going to happen.  It might be that materials will be required for repair if you want the item to not degrade in some way, but I'm not sure what it should depend on or how far it should go.  Material use might be too much, especially for items that take just one resource item to make in the first place.  Artifacts aren't currently damage-able, but that might change once artifacts become more numerous and some are more important/magical than others.

Complex item destruction:
Quote from: stinkasectomy
will we see swords breaking into two separate pieces (blade/hilt etc), or gauntlets lose a finger, or chain mail lose some links? lots of fantasy about reforging broken swords, after all. items losing pieces would likely cause item bloat in many cases, and a pretty major rework even if it didnt bloat (so not any time soon i guess).

We've been hoping to have item components for a long while, but it hasn't happened yet.  Yeah, it's an important part of a lot of stories, enough so that it would be worth it to figure out the various issues.  As long as it isn't overzealous about blowing items into pieces all the time, the bloat shouldn't be an issue.  It would be kind of annoying to have an indoor battlefield littered with all sorts of shards and shreds to clean up beyond what we already have.

I guess I can be more specific, though.
1)Are artifacts more likely to be recoded to take damage the way a body part would ("It is mangled!", etc.) than non-artifacts are?
2)Are there currently any plans to use one artifact as a reagent to produce another, different artifact, including both cases where the original is and is not broken? Could this be also extend to turning one larger artifact into several smaller ones or several small artifacts into one larger one?
3)Are artifacts planned to occasionally be tied to specific unique entity positions (The four crowns of Narnia, the crown jewels, etc.)?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2016, 09:22:13 pm »

I read that and, no joke, went "wait, aren't there swamp dragons in DF?", then was absolutely amazed to find there weren't.

I just killed* a swamp titan in adventure mode that breathed fire and shot fireballs.  Does that count?  They don't breath fire as hot as true dragons.  Nor did it hit as hard.  But its fireball was really annoying.  Is there any way to block those?

*Okay, so I save-scummed in order to beat it.  When things started going south, I jumped over to a pool of water.  The tile I landed in and all the tiles next to it evaporated as soon as I landed.  Then the beast caught up with me and I fought it until it died.  Lost 4 followers and had 3 other followers standing around twiddling their thumbs through the whole thing.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2016, 09:36:55 pm »

All fire breath is dragonfire. Jets and balls aren't as hot, but if it's breath it's dragon breath.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 211