Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524275 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #3315 on: September 05, 2017, 03:44:23 pm »

That's kind of my problem: being able to balance adaptability with the mechanics of force multipliers or synergy requires some concept of the atomic components of a given strategy, and that's wrapped up in my timeline question, since parts of a given idea come online sooner than others.

See, I've been using LA Ulm for tutelary purposes, since they have access to both cheap 1S mages (recruit-anywhere, no less) for communions and all the parts of a blood nation except for blood sacrifices. They've also got interesting national spells, their recruitable troops are solid, and their national mages are only mediocre, so I figured I could get used to having to juggle a lot of options with different expiration dates.

So, at a cursory reckoning, I have four options:
1. indie commanders leading crossbows & shields around
2. Iron Priests carrying crystal matrices casting Wind Guide, Flaming Arrows, sundry earth buffs and some of the E/F magma evocations, using Illuminated Ones as communion slaves and crossbows as meat shields/more arrows.
3. Vampires. Big blobs of vampires with boosted vampire lords casting Death and Blood buffs on them, with the Counts handling blood hunting and summoning and supplementary casting.
4. any of the high-end Blood summons leading demons around.

But those are composed of smaller pieces that can be shuffled around and are in some cases mutually exclusive; for example, communions big enough to make 2 work are going to delay researching to high-end Blood/Construction for 4 (and buying the S1s in the first place to get all the evo/thaum/alt needed for 2 quickly is going to slow down 1, which is partly needed to grab provinces for the blood needed for 3-4). Thus why I'm trying to figure out what needs to be in place to make a given thing work and what just makes it work better, which partially depends on being able to project, in a rough way, what my units need to not die on any given turn.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: September 05, 2017, 09:37:01 pm »

There's never anything concrete, but I'd say that in general early game might be the first twoish years and lategame begins somewhere around five. However, when you hit early and late game are more characteristics of what you're doing than the time, and they're really vague anyway. Making sure your mages are always doing something useful is probably more practical than setting timing targets.

That makes a lot more sense than some of the timelines I've been seeing. I suppose I'm just trying to get a handle on when a given task becomes the most useful thing to do, operating on the logic that ideally one would want to start putting the infrastructure (boosting, blood hunting, etc) for the next thing together before whatever is currently working stops being adequate.
These things all depend almost entirely on your nation and your specific strategy. Within that context, one way to think of it is to consider what strategy will allow you to win the game, and then rush for that while only focussing on low-investment strategies to keep you from losing before you get there. This is the way a lot of mid-game nations play, with early game nations forgoing the infrastructure development almost entirely and just throwing niefel jarls at any problem that comes up. But if you play this way, you have a core goal and your timeframe is "as soon as possible". Of course, this can get silly, like with the fellow who put Burden of Time out on turn fifteen back before it was nerfed, but as long as you add just enough reasonable moderation to the mix that you don't get obliterated first, it'll win you a war or two. And when it stops working (if you can't win first) then you move on to a new game-winning strategy and everything else becomes a holding action until you get there. This is kind of a simple way to go about it, but it's still basically the flow of the game.
For example, by the time my early/mid armies are usually running into trouble, I've often got a number of mages en route that could have spent those turns researching or site searching or whatever, had I known they would be obsolete (or inefficient) by the time they arrived.
A mage is never really obsolete, they don't have to memorize their spells ahead of time. But if your armies are winning already, moving mages to the front line is definitely a waste of research turns. And if moving mages to the front lines is a big time investment, you should consider building or taking more forts nearer to where the fighting is happening, or possibly going for cloud trapeze/teleport/etc if those are available to you.

Maybe my entire conceptual framework for this is off, but it seems to me that the best way to think about getting a counter to your opponent's turn-X army out on turn X is to plan on building that counter on turn X-Y based on an ongoing Bayesian model of their likely strategy, for which a general timeline is a useful prior. Or am I overthinking this massively?
You're not overthinking until you've thought twice as much as all the other players combined. Dominions is a game that's won or lost based on planning. But if you try to be predictive like that, there's you should definitely be wary of committing too much unless you're really certain you know what they're doing, because you can definitely waste a lot of resources on them if you miss-guess. Specific counters are great, but versatility also shouldn't be underestimated, not only because it can deny your enemy specific counters to your stuff, but because you'll want to be prepared if an additional enemy decides to get involved.

tl;dr: Plan ahead for your own game-winning actions, but don't plan too much for specific enemy actions.

Try not to engage a large hostile player army if you don't have any idea of what it is capable of. But them attacking a 1 PD province would give you that intel.
With a bit (ok, a lot of) familiarity with the spell list, you could figure out their rough research levels from the spells they cast, and checking their mages for gems would give you a rough idea of what 'big spells' they're bringing to the party.
If it's a game where the score graphs are on (or you have a site that reveals the research graph) you could get a vague guesstimate from their research score, though.

Generally, I'd say it's a question of: What does he have; what do I have to bring to the table, what can I research in the next turn or 3 that would have a significant impact, do I have enough ablative territory to accept territory losses to allow me to blob/tech up just a bit more, or am I just able to smash it without expending too much effort?
But that's just me, everyone has a different style/idea of what is fun in this game, I enjoy having to sit back and do extensive sifting through the spell list to sort all of those things out.
I wouldn't say you should avoid engagement entirely, just avoid engaging with any army you'd mind losing. It can be effective to harass a big army using thugs or battlefield wiping spells, even if you haven't seen much of their script yet, just as you might roll over a small army without expecting them to have a particularly nasty surprise waiting for you.

The point about ablative territory is also a good one. In a war, don't be afraid to retreat for a time.

That's kind of my problem: being able to balance adaptability with the mechanics of force multipliers or synergy requires some concept of the atomic components of a given strategy, and that's wrapped up in my timeline question, since parts of a given idea come online sooner than others.
Just from this, I can't conclusively say I understand what you're talking about, but I'll deal with your specific examples more.

1. indie commanders leading crossbows & shields around
Always do this, and do it for as long as it works. Even when it stops working in pitched battles, do it for raiding. This doesn't cost you anything except gold, and gold is also what it gives you.
2. Iron Priests carrying crystal matrices casting Wind Guide, Flaming Arrows, sundry earth buffs and some of the E/F magma evocations, using Illuminated Ones as communion slaves and crossbows as meat shields/more arrows.
Avoid doing this as much as possible unless it'll win or lose the game for you. This costs mages and gems, which are what you need to win. You can get by in the mid-game with a few of these, and hopefully win a war with as few as two or three armies like this, and not that many iron priests or slaves per army. Especially if you rely more on the buffs than the evocations, though evocations are always nice as well. But if you've got enough thrones in close range, secretly prepare a few more armies like this and take them, and take the game. This could win you a mid-game victory, but it could just be the thing that keeps you alive until the late game. If it's going to be the latter, don't invest any more than you need to in order to win the wars your in. And of course, never be in less than one war for long, though that's a slightly different issue.
3. Vampires. Big blobs of vampires with boosted vampire lords casting Death and Blood buffs on them, with the Counts handling blood hunting and summoning and supplementary casting.
By the time you can do this, do this. Vampires are an excellent defensive strategy since they're immortal. Get enough vampires that you can destroy any army before they reach something important, and take whatever's in your dominion. Without blood sacrifices, you can't push your dominion as well as some nations, but it's still more than worth it.
4. any of the high-end Blood summons leading demons around.
You'll want these as well, for offensive play, but as with the mid game armies, have just enough to win unless it's the last war of the game or you're sure you've got enough vampires for the foreseeable future.

But those are composed of smaller pieces that can be shuffled around and are in some cases mutually exclusive; for example, communions big enough to make 2 work are going to delay researching to high-end Blood/Construction for 4 (and buying the S1s in the first place to get all the evo/thaum/alt needed for 2 quickly is going to slow down 1, which is partly needed to grab provinces for the blood needed for 3-4). Thus why I'm trying to figure out what needs to be in place to make a given thing work and what just makes it work better, which partially depends on being able to project, in a rough way, what my units need to not die on any given turn.
After the first year, you should pretty much never let anything get in the way of your mage recruitment. If you've snapped up all (or almost all) of the indy provinces in the expansion phase, don't pay for any crossbows that'll keep you from recruiting mages. If you have to lose research, it'll be more effective to deploy those mages than to get something besides them anyway. The research issue is a stickier problem, and that's why it's often good to plan according to your game size, aim for a midgame victory on the back of strategy 2 if there's less than maybe eight players. In a bigger game, you still probably want to to some degree, but once you've got all of the research that's strictly necessary for that, dive into blood. The delay on your blood lategame will be less from researching other things than the gain will be from taking other people's land, assuming you win your wars. It's still better to switch to the late game strategy too early than too late though, because you can always switch back to the late game trees to make rapid progress, and anyway you'll want those support spells on your late game armies as well.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: September 05, 2017, 10:36:05 pm »

You're not overthinking until you've thought twice as much as all the other players combined.

[...]

tl;dr: Plan ahead for your own game-winning actions, but don't plan too much for specific enemy actions.

This is true if and only if you can avoid telegraphing your plans, because if you do, then following long-term plans means you're giving your enemies the maximum amount of advance warning to react to it. If you're working towards an uncounterable plan this obviously doesn't apply, but generally the idea of there being an uncounterable plan doesn't apply either - and when it does, it typically does because what you were doing in the mean time already neutered potential counters and you're counting coup.

Be flexible. Diplomacy can ruin the best plan even if you've out-thought every other single player in the game.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: September 05, 2017, 11:15:58 pm »

Indeed.  That said, I would possibly suggest that if you didn't include diplomacy in your planning, you haven't really out-thought the other players at all.  It's arguably one of the most important aspects of any plan in the game. 

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: September 05, 2017, 11:39:32 pm »

Just from this, I can't conclusively say I understand what you're talking about, but I'll deal with your specific examples more.
[/quote]
Thanks; your analysis makes things much clearer.

Regarding diplomacy, though, would I be wrong in thinking that planning around diplomacy requires some way to evaluate what any given thing (peace, hammers, etc.) is worth to you relative to the other players at any given time? "Include diplomacy in your planning" is certainly very good advice, but by itself it's actionable only in vague terms.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: September 06, 2017, 12:07:38 am »

You're not overthinking until you've thought twice as much as all the other players combined.

[...]

This is true if and only if you can avoid telegraphing your plans, because if you do, then following long-term plans means you're giving your enemies the maximum amount of advance warning to react to it. If you're working towards an uncounterable plan this obviously doesn't apply, but generally the idea of there being an uncounterable plan doesn't apply either - and when it does, it typically does because what you were doing in the mean time already neutered potential counters and you're counting coup.

Be flexible. Diplomacy can ruin the best plan even if you've out-thought every other single player in the game.
Yeah, I agree with all of these things but I would consider diplomacy to be kind of a separate thing from strategy. You always, diplomatically, have the same goals. You want to appear strong where you're weak and weak where you're strong, you want to have your potential enemies fighting each other and expending their strength while you build yours, you want to gang up on the stronger players and eat them up until you're the strongest player, and then you don't want to be ganged up on. Concealing your true intentions is a matter of course, but a competent player can infer a lot from your nation and your pretender paths. Rather than focusing on making your own motives impossible to discern (that's a losing battle unless you do nothing to further your own ends) it's better to avoid being the center of attention. Let your neighbors instead focus on what some other shmuck is doing, while you build up untouched. Of course, obscuring your progress helps there and you don't want to brag about your research, but there's only so much you can do to conceal your achievements.

Regarding diplomacy, though, would I be wrong in thinking that planning around diplomacy requires some way to evaluate what any given thing (peace, hammers, etc.) is worth to you relative to the other players at any given time? "Include diplomacy in your planning" is certainly very good advice, but by itself it's actionable only in vague terms.
Don't think of diplomacy as a quid pro quo. Your goal is not for everyone to get a fair deal. Your goal is to make temporary friends in order to screw a third party even harder than you're planning to screw each other at the first possible opportunity. It may be impossible to meaningfully plan until you've seen the map, but then you can at least come up with such timeless strategems as "I'll fuel hatred of elves in the hope that people will get riled up against them and I can steal some Eriu land". And then come up with specific ways to do that. Trading for peace is rarely worth it (though it can be if you're not done expanding or you're overpowered on all sides) since it's only going to let the disadvantaged party get a foothold and become a threat again, and trading for things like hammers is relatively minor with regards to the overall political situation of the game.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: September 06, 2017, 12:18:22 am »

Moreover, it's important to remember that your planning doesn't end when the game starts.  This ties strongly into what Albright said on flexibility.  One major key datum for any plans that will only exist with the first turn is pretender paths and dominion strength, as inferred from titles generated at the game start.  Another is player positions, which should probably be known by the end of the first or second year depending on map size.  While your pre-game planning for strategy should be sound, being able to continue planning for your ultimate victory based on changing game conditions should be an absolute necessity, and this is where plans and diplomacy intersect. 

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: September 06, 2017, 12:34:49 am »

Its kind of like a boardgame.  Its about playing the table.  Math only matters if you can convince other people that your math is correct.  More important is understanding the other players and how you appear to them, in order to get the outcome you want.  Be that resource gain, cooperation or just delaying the inevitable war.

More broadly, once you figure out the game and the basics of diplomacy just go out and actively argue for what you want.  Think of it kind of like a game of mafia.  There's strategy to it, but at the end of the day you're trying to get people to gang up on others and not gang up on you.  When the noose comes out its always better to go kicking and screaming instead of silently.  For example, let's say you're scouting around in the lands of a nation you don't share a border with, and you notice an unexpectedly powerful/magicked up army.  You have no real stake in this, but let's say you just casually mention it to your neighbor that DOES share a border with them.  Your neighbor might respond with a helpful tidbit, maybe something like "yeah, they found a fire site 2 turns into the game" or "I know, I've been at war with them for 6 turns."  Bam, free info about the game and that player's intentions.  Even if not, at least you've built up a mildly friendly relationship.  Other players are still human, if they think of you as a friendly face they'll be more likely to invade someone who's been silent.  Or let's say two people attack you at the same time, one all out and the other opportunistically.  Then you kill one of the main attacker's armies in a crushing victory.  So you start spamming the opportunistic attacker every other turn with requests to end the war.  You tell them you're crushing their ally, you tell them they can keep the 3 provinces they took if they don't keep going, you point out how threatening that neighbor is to the north or offer them a monthly tribute of gems to go away.  90% of the time, that attacker isn't going to listen to you.  But if you say nothing, there's a 0% chance you'll get your way.  And if you've been arguing your case the whole time and their ally hasn't, maybe when that neighbor to the north does make his move they'll call back their armies and leave their ally to fend for himself.  That being said, you probs won't get your way and this is the most annoying thing about Dom4, at reasonable equal skill levels/faction OPness, getting ganged up on is generally a game over before the first spell is cast.

Oh, and one of the best things you can do with diplomacy isn't to control who fights you.  Its to get other people to fight each other.  They'll be more receptive to those kinds of talks, although its still best if they think it was their own idea.  Talking about how OP a faction or spell is on the forum is a time honored strategy.  Oh and not all diplomacy is necessarily a trick, if someone wants to trade info or whatever it can benefit you to go along with the conversation.  Finally, try not to leave massed troops or 0/1 PD on any of your borders.  One of those things sends the message "I'm about to invade", the other, "I'm easy prey."  A fort near the border with mages and a medium amount of troops is a nice goldilocks.  Leaving mages in forts is extremely common, and its also pretty common to leave expansion forces in forts once there are no more neutral provinces.  Thus your intentions are masked and your enemies given little info.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: September 06, 2017, 01:32:13 pm »

Or let's say two people attack you at the same time, one all out and the other opportunistically.  Then you kill one of the main attacker's armies in a crushing victory.  So you start spamming the opportunistic attacker every other turn with requests to end the war.  You tell them you're crushing their ally, you tell them they can keep the 3 provinces they took if they don't keep going, you point out how threatening that neighbor is to the north or offer them a monthly tribute of gems to go away.  90% of the time, that attacker isn't going to listen to you.
Well, part of the reason for that 90% failure rate is because you're only offering them stuff that they'd also get if they kept fighting you. Instead, try offering a non-zero sum, and an alternative. Suggest a mutual neighbor that the two of you could attack together, instead. That will give them provinces from a third enemy who they are then fighting together with another person (since you've neutralized the main enemy in your war) and will leave them the opportunity to conquer you some more afterward, but also gives you the opportunity to get your feet back under you. Although if you've beaten the main enemy, you may be better off just rebuffing the opportunist militarily before doing any kind of negotiation.
But if you say nothing, there's a 0% chance you'll get your way.  And if you've been arguing your case the whole time and their ally hasn't, maybe when that neighbor to the north does make his move they'll call back their armies and leave their ally to fend for himself.  That being said, you probs won't get your way and this is the most annoying thing about Dom4, at reasonable equal skill levels/faction OPness, getting ganged up on is generally a game over before the first spell is cast.

Finally, try not to leave massed troops or 0/1 PD on any of your borders.
What? How many PD do you think should be on the border then?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: September 06, 2017, 02:27:57 pm »

I agree that 0 PD is a bad move, but why is 1 bad?...

Really, PD is good for two things in my opinion: Stopping scouts from taking your provinces in a SURPRISE! 'alpha-strike', and as emergency chaff, although that bit is really only relevant to a few nations with excellent national PD...

And still, 1 is good enough to take out a scout or two, and 6 is enough to stop a cluster of them. Trying to safeguard all of your territories from stealth armies/raiders/flyers with PD is usually a silly proposition.
Still, ALWAYS use at least 1 PD on all of your provinces. If you don't then you're just asking for someone to put a scout on all of your undefended territories and then claiming them all at once when they basically declare war. It won't hurt your armies but it will kill your income for a few turns..

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: September 06, 2017, 03:02:16 pm »

I can't say that PD-levels, by themselves, have ever stopped me from attacking someone that I was going to anyway. Honestly, I probably don't even know what the PD-levels of your border provinces are - my scouts are probably in the interior of your territory, since I can see your troops if they're on a shared border without needing a scout there.

Definitely don't leave 0 PD anywhere - as others have already said, it's basically begging your opponent to steal them en-masse - and, worst of all - you won't even know how they did it. 1 gold at least gets you a combat report.

Personally, I like 4 PD in the average province - 10 gold cost, and can usually kill a troop or two of an invading army, paying for itself.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:03:50 pm by AlStar »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: September 06, 2017, 03:45:25 pm »

As Jilladilla mentions, certain types of PD are vulnerable to multiple-scout raids even when they're a bit higher than 1, but that's a rather fringe tactic (albeit an entertaining one).

On a less fringe note: aside from confusing scouts as to how much PD you have (as PD6 has the same message as PD19), PD6 is a lot less likely to die to a flock of hawks or ghouls than PD1. That can make a big difference in your ability to respond to an alpha strike setting off an invasion.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:48:12 pm by E. Albright »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: September 06, 2017, 04:36:37 pm »

Fun times: Using Ur scouts to knock over minor PD provinces, because hairy people do it better.

Marmaduke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: September 06, 2017, 04:42:39 pm »

Who has the fiercest scouts? (I believe the scoutest scout are those harpies.)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: September 06, 2017, 06:04:44 pm »

LA Jomon has ninjas that has scale walls ability, which means if you siege a castle you can assassinate commanders during the siege.

Alternative is EA fomoria with their size 4 scouts.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:15:47 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 236