Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1437478 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Watching Kirrim On Duty a millionth time made me ask myself, what would happen if Gilly actually hit Kerbin?
Well, I'm not sure, but given Gilly's density and size, if it hit Earth on land it would leave a crater 225 miles across and over a mile deep, which means that it would stretch across a few degrees of latitude even if it hit at the equator. And that's assuming minimal speed; if it's hitting the Earth as fast as anything orbiting the Sun can, it punches straight through the Earth's crust; the crater ends up 573 miles across and 1.43 miles deep. Rock melts; about half the melt remains in the mile-deep crater, forming a layer about nine miles deep. Supposedly.
(Source)

Oh, and now Land/Drop is always making everything explode again.

In all this time you could have read the entire thread at the ksp forum. Mods do not have the greatest faq's, if at all, but there's always the official forums.
So, you're saying that you expected me to get "read the forum thread" from your statements, which never mentioned said thread in any way.
Thanks for being so clear!

Oh, and the forum thread is defunct. So you're even less helpful than I initially thought!

I'm fairly sure it has to do with the differing gravitational forces in each SOI. Changing SOI's instantly is a big deal. A lot happens.
I'm fairly certain Eve's SoI extends more than 200 kilometer from its surface.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:59:17 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Being on a body when another body's SoI suddenly overtakes you causes a form of kraken iirc.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't have all the information, so yes. Best to go to the originator of the mod/tool and the hundreds of other eyes that have used it. I use hyperedit very rarely and when I do I'm going off of advice I heard when it first came out and I don't even think much about the why anymore.

Eve's SOI is over 85000 km. It's atmosphere is out to a fraction of that. It rotates at a different velocity than Kerbin. All these factors plus rounding errors build up and will tear a craft apart if they suddenly appear on or near the surface of one SOI to another SOI, atmosphere or no atmosphere. Just going surface to surface purely on Kerbin will possibly make some number rounding tear you apart. KSP is made to deal with surface to air to space to different SOI to air to surface. If it couldn't do this we wouldn't even have a release. It fiddles with numbers the whole way and things still do occasionally fall apart, ie kraken.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

I wasn't talking about "What would happen realistically". During the video I mentioned, Danny used hyper edit to put Gilly on a collision course with Kerbin. I was asking how the game itself would have responded if he let it happen.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I wasn't talking about "What would happen realistically". During the video I mentioned, Danny used hyper edit to put Gilly on a collision course with Kerbin. I was asking how the game itself would have responded if he let it happen.
Planets don't collide. They would have just passed through each other. What would have happened to any craft on the surface of either planet is hard to say, but anywhere between "violently destroyed" and "crash the game" is possible.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Being on a body when another body's SoI suddenly overtakes you causes a form of kraken iirc.
Eve's SOI is over 85000 km. It's atmosphere is out to a fraction of that. It rotates at a different velocity than Kerbin. All these factors plus rounding errors build up and will tear a craft apart if they suddenly appear on or near the surface of one SOI to another SOI, atmosphere or no atmosphere. Just going surface to surface purely on Kerbin will possibly make some number rounding tear you apart. KSP is made to deal with surface to air to space to different SOI to air to surface. If it couldn't do this we wouldn't even have a release. It fiddles with numbers the whole way and things still do occasionally fall apart, ie kraken.
Good thing I was going from the surface, to Kerbin orbit, to Eve orbit, and only then using the Land/Drop function. Except that it didn't work. (Well, it worked once. Still not sure what was going on then or how to replicate it.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good thing I was going from the surface, to Kerbin orbit, to Eve orbit, and only then using the Land/Drop function. Except that it didn't work. (Well, it worked once. Still not sure what was going on then or how to replicate it.)

*shrug*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:10:57 pm by BigD145 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How, exactly, do modified physics change things up? I mean, FAR and Deadly Reentry shouldn't change things when I'm dropping them from outside the atmosphere, right?
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Many mods play by the rules. The rules of stock. They have set values for things. I'm guessing hyperedit doesn't read Eve from any sort of variable, if it even can. It probably uses hardcoded stock values.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...What values? And, again, how would Deadly Reentry or FAR change anything?
Sig

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Values in the base game.

Some mods do sneaky things like change the shape, size, mass or similar of a object.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Values in the base game.

Some mods do sneaky things like change the shape, size, mass or similar of a object.

They change the stresses at which parts explode, for example. G's, heat, whatever it may take to cause explosions.

DR and FAR change everything for a vehicle in motion. Make a craft with DR installed, fly it into space, and then remove DR and load the craft. That craft will likely explode so violently the moment physics loads that pieces that survived will be traveling at or near the speed of light. KAS will periodically do that. FAR changes the properties of every part in the game, I think. Everything has interacting drag. Put a fairing around parts and the fairing's drag has precedent instead of all the parts inside. Okay now what if a ship in flight suddenly gets confused and the fairing no longer enters into the equation? Suddenly your drag mounts up and you're likely to get forces on all your parts that weren't designed to take it. Between that and DR, in atmosphere, things are probably going to explode. The vehicle will at least tear itself apart.

Some FAR faq stuff on how mods interact (or don't):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

FAR wipes the aerodynamic data of most parts and calculates its own. It may be that changing position with HyperEdit makes something break in that calculation.

It's more likely that you're just hitting some design peculiarity, mostly phantom forces appearing out of nowhere. I had that with HE previously, and I was able to save the ship by turning on indestructible joints and quicksaving right after the jump. Quickloading then wiped the phantom forces.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Off the current topic but I caught this screenshot and couldn't resist:

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Off the current topic but I caught this screenshot and couldn't resist:

Damnit FAR, why you destroy all our hopes and dreams?
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 848