Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 651198 times)

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Don't let your bank run out without withdrawing!
« Reply #2835 on: February 14, 2014, 12:19:21 am »

It's basically the physical version of Togekiss, except with glare and some nice STAB physical moves. Also a lot weaker, but who cares when you can paralyze everything and their mothers.

Yeah, I would use it mainly to piss people off.

Funny story, actually. A friend of mine plays/played a lot of Pokemon Stadium, so he really tends to abuse Explosion and the Psychic types. Since I'm mostly from the Hoenn-gen, I found it pretty weird to play in Gen I, so I usually lost whenever we fought with the rental pokemon. And not just because he would always take Haunter (who had Explosion) and Alakazam. One of the only times I won actually was with a Dunsparce and Attract. Somehow. I forgot the details, except that we laughed for a good long time.
Also often called Boowells.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: Don't let your bank run out without withdrawing!
« Reply #2836 on: February 14, 2014, 01:13:05 am »

GRENINJA
Ability: Torrent
Item: It's currently an amulet coin but I have no clue what to swap it with
Ice Beam
Surf
Extrasensory
Night Slash

TALONFLAME
Ability: Flame Body
Item: I forget and I'm too lazy to go get my 3ds, don't worry I checked before to make sure it's something good
Brave Bird
Fly
That fire move that boosts your speed after using it but only has like 60 damage
Flamethrower

WOBBUFFET (Wobuffet? Wobbuffet? dunno)
Ability: Shadow Tag (duh)
Item: none yet any ideas
Counter (duh)
Mirror Coat (duh)
Safeguard
Destiny Bond

LUCARIO
Ability: Steadfast
Item: Lucarionite
Aura Sphere
Close Combat
Metal Claw (fairy self defense)
Dragon Pulse

MALAMAR
Ability: Contrary (score)
Item: it was like black glasses or something
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Superpower
Psychic

ELECTRODE
Ability: Static
Item: Dunno, quick claw or the like
Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt
Swift
Self-Destruct

So, what do you think? I use Lucario, Greninja, Talonflame, and Malamar as simple stock 'mons, Wobbuffet whose proper name I am too lazy to look up as the otherwise lacking tank, and Electrode as a means of beating my "amigo"'s Protean Greninja, whom I like to call Armok Incarnate.

Greninja - has base 103 Sp. Atk, which is pretty low against most other mons. Without protean, its only real use is its speed. Torrent Greninja is best used with a Life Orb, plus Spikes. Spikes as a suicide lead, then the remaining three moves hopefully giving it time to dish out some hits. Scald is good anti-Attack, plus it hits Fire, Rock and Ground hard. You could go Surf or Hydro Pump for more damage, but scalding the opponent yields burns pretty well. The other two moves could be coverage, but realistically you're not going to hit things very hard without Protean.

Talonflame - You're essentially purely anti Greninja. You're not going to be fast enough to outspeed your prey Blaziken after a few boosts. You're just barely fast enough without priority to hit Greninja with a STAB brave bird (126 base SPD vs 122 base SPD) plus your passable base 81 attack vs. Greninja's terrible base 67 defense.
You absolutely will not stay up very long with Talonflame, Gale Wings or not. Choice Band Brave Bird will hit anything that doesn't resist it pretty damn hard, but your frail defense and reliance on recoil will ruin your day.

Wobbuffet - You're not going to use this very well. A single speedy taunter will shut Wobbuffet down entirely, rendering it useless for 2-5 turns. And there's a LOT of taunters around these days. I'd just not use it at all. (If you are going to use it, swap something like Safeguard out for Encore - locking a foe into an attacking move can prove useful.)

Lucario - Despite your higher base Attack, Flash Cannon will hit much harder than Metal Claw. Lucario-M has 145/140/112 attacking stats, if I remember correctly, but 140 Sp. Atk is very usable too. Get rid of Aura Sphere, it's superfluous with Close Combat - replace it with Extreme Speed. Priority is very nice.

Malamar - Damn, you got lucky with Contrary. Superpower is your best move, because it only ever hits harder and harder. You're best used to counter Aegislash - if you touch its king's shield, free +2 stages on Attack, which can be devastating if you manage to get a priority move to hit through its paper thin Sword forme defenses. You probably won't be able to take many hits with your weakish defenses of 86/88/75, unless you land a hit with Superpower, so it's all down to who moves first. Your speed is base 73, which is pretty slow, but you do outspeed Aegi in both forms. You will have to watch out for Shadow Sneak, though, as you don't resist it and your defense is weak vs. 150 base attack.
You'll want to run Superpower/Night Slash/Psycho Cut/Toxic, as your special attack is pretty abysmal and you'll be spamming Superpower to get boosts on Attack.

Electrode - Being one of the fastest mons in the game, you EASILY outspeed and KO anything like Talonflame and Greninja. 140 base vs. 126 and 122 respectively, without a Choice Scarf, they can't beat you. You're also pretty frail, with 60/70/80, making Malamar look like a defensive behemoth. If any of them are carrying priority, be it Gale Wings Brave Bird, STAB Water Shuriken or Protean STAB Shadow Sneak, expect to take a tonne of damage, if not KO'd.
A better counter to Greninja is Lucario, as you can use Priority Adaptability ExtremeSpeed to punch through his wet paper defenses, or even Jellicent, who can easily absorb anything but Dark Pulse with ease. Fairy types also do well, because they resist all but one of his usual STABs, sometimes all but two.

So I've been kicking around this idea for years now but never tried to put it into practice.  I strongly suspect it is a gimmick that would not work, just because if it does I'm sure I would've seen it in use by now, but at the same time--hey, sometimes people ignore the odd 'mons just because they're odd.

The concept is pretty simple.  Something like this:

DUNSPARCE
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: Split between HP and Defense
Attacks:
Thunder Wave
Roost
Headbutt/Zen Headbutt
Rock Slide/Astonish

Yeah, I've seen that in use. Dunsparce is fragile, but if you can get the damage off, it becomes hilarious. A pretty good idea.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: February 14, 2014, 03:17:54 am »

So I'm a little confused about this Super Training thing. I get that playing the little minigame and letting your pokemon hit the punching bags increases their base stats. Does that mean I should be training them up as early as possible in order to maximize stat gains? Or would the stats eventually reach the same point regardless of how often you trained them?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: February 14, 2014, 03:23:22 am »

So I'm a little confused about this Super Training thing. I get that playing the little minigame and letting your pokemon hit the punching bags increases their base stats. Does that mean I should be training them up as early as possible in order to maximize stat gains? Or would the stats eventually reach the same point regardless of how often you trained them?

Do you know about EV (effort values)? If so, then Super Training just lets you acquire EVs more quickly, and with a greater degree of control.

If not, then I'll let Bulbapedia explain.  :)

EDIT: Doh, forgot. The short answer is no, you can train them whenever you want, and your Pokemon's stats will adjust at next level (or the next time you put them in the PC). The only concern is you'll get EVs naturally through battles, so if you care about perfect EV training, you'll need to reset those EVs later if you don't perfectly train your Pokemon now.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:34:58 am by Thexor »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: February 14, 2014, 03:34:30 am »

It doesn't matter when you do it. The stats will be the same.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: February 14, 2014, 03:37:23 am »

The earlier they have full EVs, the better, against pokemon of their level. Once they reach 100, they'll be the same as one you rare candied to level 99, then used super training to fill up their EVs.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: February 14, 2014, 05:35:03 pm »

Ruby and Sapphire soundtracks are now on itunes.
It's FEF, not FEOF

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: February 14, 2014, 05:38:06 pm »

Ruby and Sapphire soundtracks are now on itunes.
HL3 confirmed

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: February 14, 2014, 06:17:42 pm »

Twitch Plays Pokemon

O_o I guess that's one way of making a pokemon mmo :P
It's FEF, not FEOF

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: February 14, 2014, 07:12:38 pm »

I don't think there's a better example of how a schizophrenic works than that.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: February 14, 2014, 08:55:07 pm »

Bear in mind: Twitch streams have a forced 30(?) second delay between stream and chat.

So not only were over 12000 people trying to control a character... they were controlling a character with a thirty second delay:o

EDIT: Wow. I just watched Twitch chat, with 16000 people, catch a wild Drowsee. I'm genuinely impressed!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:06:27 pm by Thexor »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: February 14, 2014, 10:35:41 pm »

GRENINJA
Ability: Torrent
Item: It's currently an amulet coin but I have no clue what to swap it with
Ice Beam
Surf
Extrasensory
Night Slash

TALONFLAME
Ability: Flame Body
Item: I forget and I'm too lazy to go get my 3ds, don't worry I checked before to make sure it's something good
Brave Bird
Fly
That fire move that boosts your speed after using it but only has like 60 damage
Flamethrower

WOBBUFFET (Wobuffet? Wobbuffet? dunno)
Ability: Shadow Tag (duh)
Item: none yet any ideas
Counter (duh)
Mirror Coat (duh)
Safeguard
Destiny Bond

LUCARIO
Ability: Steadfast
Item: Lucarionite
Aura Sphere
Close Combat
Metal Claw (fairy self defense)
Dragon Pulse

MALAMAR
Ability: Contrary (score)
Item: it was like black glasses or something
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Superpower
Psychic

ELECTRODE
Ability: Static
Item: Dunno, quick claw or the like
Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt
Swift
Self-Destruct

So, what do you think? I use Lucario, Greninja, Talonflame, and Malamar as simple stock 'mons, Wobbuffet whose proper name I am too lazy to look up as the otherwise lacking tank, and Electrode as a means of beating my "amigo"'s Protean Greninja, whom I like to call Armok Incarnate.

Greninja - has base 103 Sp. Atk, which is pretty low against most other mons. Without protean, its only real use is its speed. Torrent Greninja is best used with a Life Orb, plus Spikes. Spikes as a suicide lead, then the remaining three moves hopefully giving it time to dish out some hits. Scald is good anti-Attack, plus it hits Fire, Rock and Ground hard. You could go Surf or Hydro Pump for more damage, but scalding the opponent yields burns pretty well. The other two moves could be coverage, but realistically you're not going to hit things very hard without Protean.

Talonflame - You're essentially purely anti Greninja. You're not going to be fast enough to outspeed your prey Blaziken after a few boosts. You're just barely fast enough without priority to hit Greninja with a STAB brave bird (126 base SPD vs 122 base SPD) plus your passable base 81 attack vs. Greninja's terrible base 67 defense.
You absolutely will not stay up very long with Talonflame, Gale Wings or not. Choice Band Brave Bird will hit anything that doesn't resist it pretty damn hard, but your frail defense and reliance on recoil will ruin your day.

Wobbuffet - You're not going to use this very well. A single speedy taunter will shut Wobbuffet down entirely, rendering it useless for 2-5 turns. And there's a LOT of taunters around these days. I'd just not use it at all. (If you are going to use it, swap something like Safeguard out for Encore - locking a foe into an attacking move can prove useful.)

Lucario - Despite your higher base Attack, Flash Cannon will hit much harder than Metal Claw. Lucario-M has 145/140/112 attacking stats, if I remember correctly, but 140 Sp. Atk is very usable too. Get rid of Aura Sphere, it's superfluous with Close Combat - replace it with Extreme Speed. Priority is very nice.

Malamar - Damn, you got lucky with Contrary. Superpower is your best move, because it only ever hits harder and harder. You're best used to counter Aegislash - if you touch its king's shield, free +2 stages on Attack, which can be devastating if you manage to get a priority move to hit through its paper thin Sword forme defenses. You probably won't be able to take many hits with your weakish defenses of 86/88/75, unless you land a hit with Superpower, so it's all down to who moves first. Your speed is base 73, which is pretty slow, but you do outspeed Aegi in both forms. You will have to watch out for Shadow Sneak, though, as you don't resist it and your defense is weak vs. 150 base attack.
You'll want to run Superpower/Night Slash/Psycho Cut/Toxic, as your special attack is pretty abysmal and you'll be spamming Superpower to get boosts on Attack.

Electrode - Being one of the fastest mons in the game, you EASILY outspeed and KO anything like Talonflame and Greninja. 140 base vs. 126 and 122 respectively, without a Choice Scarf, they can't beat you. You're also pretty frail, with 60/70/80, making Malamar look like a defensive behemoth. If any of them are carrying priority, be it Gale Wings Brave Bird, STAB Water Shuriken or Protean STAB Shadow Sneak, expect to take a tonne of damage, if not KO'd.

A better counter to Greninja is Lucario, as you can use Priority Adaptability ExtremeSpeed to punch through his wet paper defenses, or even Jellicent, who can easily absorb anything but Dark Pulse with ease. Fairy types also do well, because they resist all but one of his usual STABs, sometimes all but two.
-snip-

Alright, so then it looks like the team I'll be setting up is:

I'll retrain my Greninja as a kamikaze, spikes and scald. I can't afford to give up surf because I'm one of those 4th gen geezers who distrusts the Battle Box, and I don't really feel like taking my classic partner from the start of my Kalos journey and making him make a lot of frickin' babies.

I guess I could swap my talonflame out for my CharizardClose Combat. I'm not one of those supergeeks who considers it the end-all of all Pokemon, but it really is a decent sweeper.

I'm using this team to battle solely with a friend of mine, who has never used Taunt in his life as far as I can tell, so Wobbuffet will probably work at least once, until he remembers about Taunt. I'll train up a better tank in the meantime.

Lucario: swapping out Dragon Pulse for Extremespeed and Metal Claw for Flash Cannon since 2013-2-14.

In that case, I'll be ditching Electrode forever, because it's really kind of creepy and I used it for the sole purpose of giving my arch-nemesis's Greninja a poke in the frog-ribs. Maybe swap him, wait, it for another tank or something.

I'll make the quick switch on Malamar's moveset soon enough, giving back Night Slash and replacing Thunderbolt with Toxic.

Also, adaptability isn't gonna do crap with extremespeed. Still going to smash that Greninja, though.

ON ANOTHER NOTE

You know what's kind of funny? If two people, one with a psychology bachelor's degree and the other without any kind of degree, are playing pokemon, and both have exactly equal pokemon that counter each other in every way imaginable, the guy with the psychology degree wins. The metagame eventually just starts seeming like that, if you ask me at least.

Tying those two things together, my arch-rival also happens to be something of an ego-maniac, relying on his 8-9 years of experience to get him through battles. Maybe I can come up with some way to use that against him. He also, sadly, happens to be one of those Charizard maniacs I mentioned earlier. Which gets annoying. A lot.

Any good ideas for tanks? This arch-nemesis of mine is going to figure out a counter within two, three battles of seeing my Wobbuffet, so I need a more... traditional tank. This guy is a fan of fire-types in general, so Trevenant is out of the question.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: February 14, 2014, 11:17:08 pm »

Any good ideas for tanks? This arch-nemesis of mine is going to figure out a counter within two, three battles of seeing my Wobbuffet, so I need a more... traditional tank. This guy is a fan of fire-types in general, so Trevenant is out of the question.

I'm having a surprising amount of success with a rhyperior. EVs are  1/2 HP, about 1/4 attack, about 1/4th sp def.  Since his natural defense is high enough.  Has solid rock as an ability and wearing an assault vest.  Lots of weaknesses even 4x weaknesses (which become 3x with solid rock) but might as well have wonder guard for how little damage anything that doesn't hit a weakness hits it, and even double weaknesses can't one shot it, sometimes not even 2 shot.

Takes little to no damage from fire, gets stab with rock for killing char, takes a surprising amount of punishment and gives as well as it takes.  Can't vouch for it in singles, but it can be terrifying in doubles and triples.  It's like nobody has ever seen one before and don't know what it's capable of.

There might be better tanks out there, but it does a wonderful job without being the same thing everyone else is using.

EDIT: Misremembered EVs twice
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:24:44 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: February 14, 2014, 11:42:06 pm »

I like Rhyperior in multi battles simply because no one expects the lightningrod.

Also STAB stone edge really hurts.

It's like Bouffalant and Girafarig.

No one on earth expects the sap sipper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: February 15, 2014, 04:28:59 am »

I just got him recently, but my Snorlax seems set up to be a pretty decent anti-special tank. Amnesia + high SpDef will do that to a mon, I guess.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 463