Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forum Etiquette  (Read 772 times)

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
Forum Etiquette
« on: May 24, 2008, 12:16:00 pm »

You have a question or idea about the game and decide to look it up on the forum. You find that there are already three threads on the issue but the most recent one is already three months old. Is it more acceptable to start a new thread on the existing topic, or ressurect a long-dead thread?

I ask this because people seem to complain about both. It'd be nice if we could determine a standard.

--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »

I wouldn't worry too much about catering to a forum's resident whiner. You're going to get people who complain about everything.

[ May 24, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:38:00 pm »

people always whine about both, that's just the way it is

just check out the old topic, and if you feel that wasn't enough, start the tpic

only 1 out of 10 will remember the old topic anyway

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »

Yes, but that one tends to be rather vocal about it.

If you feel the idea was not adequately presented in the old topics, feel free to make a new one.  If it wasn't from that long ago, bring it back.  But if it's from a couple years back, I wouldn't suggest bringing it back into the limelight unless you've got a really well-made post to bring it back with.

But yeah...  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  At least around here, it's more of a "darn".

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

I'd find a thread already discussing my question rather than make a new one... if the post is on-topic there is no problem.

'Necromancy' refers to posting nonsense replies such as "lol" or "yeah i agree :)" to a thread long finished.

[ May 24, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »

Or, "I make doors".

Locus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »

*edit* hah, wrong thread.

[ May 24, 2008: Message edited by: Locus ]

[ May 24, 2008: Message edited by: Locus ]

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

It depends on the factors.
1. You've got a question that's already been answered verbatim, but you fail to look it up. You'll likely be shouted at.
2. You've got a question, and there's a similar topic, but it doesn't help. Start a new one.
3. Bug reports. Look before you type.

Those are the 3 basic guidelines I use before posting something. Of course the big one is to use common sense, sometimes those 3 specific ones don't help. In such a case you should actually think about what your posting. Or in my case, occasionally misplace your brain and hope for the best.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

Id say if there is a topic and its something likely to be affected by the z axis(such as mine carts and tracks) dont ressurect things from before 3d if it is mainly unrelated to z axis (such as magic) then just ignore the date.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »

I would think it's better to bring back the old topic if it's relevant enough to what you want to post.

Basically, the only real etiquette-centered rule I tend to follow is this: "Don't be an idiot." I extrapolate everything else from that (except for more procedural rules, such as "don't post such-and-such in this sub-forum, etc.) and have gotten along fine.

[ May 24, 2008: Message edited by: MaxVance ]

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 07:27:00 am »

If you have a question *that has not been answered* in an older thread, why not open a new one? I think people usually only complain about not searching for old threads when a common question has been asked that has already been answered before (counter example?).

Hence, I'd say if you have an unanswered question and the only related threads are more than a few weeks old, open a new thread. If somehow an older thread is still so relevant that it deserves mentioning, just link it in your post. That should make everyone happy (as fas as possible).

The problem with reviving old threads is that parts of the discussion might simply be not relevant any more, and it's simply annoying to read several posts wondering what the hell people are talking about only to realize that you just wasted your time with reading obsolete discussions. Moreover, sometimes people don't realize the age of the thread at all and start to reply to things that don't make any sense any more or to people who might not even be in the forum any more (see
this thread for a recent example).

Hence, I'd say even if an old thread is perfectly relevant, open a new one (and link the old one) because it's just confusing otherwise. If there was a forum software that would make it more obvious how old posts are (e.g. via a colour scheme) on the other hand...

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 06:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dreiche2:
<STRONG>The problem with reviving old threads is that parts of the discussion might simply be not relevant any more, and it's simply annoying to read several posts wondering what the hell people are talking about only to realize that you just wasted your time with reading obsolete discussions. Moreover, sometimes people don't realize the age of the thread at all and start to reply to things that don't make any sense any more or to people who might not even be in the forum any more</STRONG>

This is about the only time it bugs me. I like the suggestion of linking to an older thread in a new one.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

What you call my mama?
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

FlexibleDogma

• Bay Watcher
  • xGiant Cave Spider Silk Sockx Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nesoo:
<STRONG>

This is about the only time it bugs me. I like the suggestion of linking to an older thread in a new one.</STRONG>

Personally I cross-ref posts if they are relevant, but I will open a new thread unless my post is pretty much 100% related.  I'm sure SOMEONE or multiple someones will think it was the wrong way to do it, but since I'm (almost) always polite I've avoided any major flamage.  The real reason I prefer new posts is  necromancy can be really confusing, especially since you have to dig down through all the old content to figure out what the new stuff really is.  I would think twice about posting on a 10 page long thread even if it was 100% related, because it's annoying to go through all 10 pages to figure out what the NEW issue is.

Now if someone is asking the same question that has been asked 1 billion times without ever searching, I don't think there is anything wrong with politely pointing people at the wiki and the search function  :p.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 07:41:00 pm »

To be fair, the search functions on this forum are complete pants, so it doesn't surprise me that the same topics come up again and again.

For me, as long as the addition to the new thread is still relevant and actually adds something to the discussion (a definitive answer, an interesting question, that sort of thing) then it's fair game to bring back up within an acceptable period of time. I'd say 2-3 months. Within that time you'd be likely to still have a few posters from that thread bouncing around, and if the discussion was particularly lively, then the issues raised in it would still be in the back of people's minds.

Anything older than that, I say start a new topic. Get some fresh eyes on the subject.

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.